Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Split: Re-scaling experiment

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

pleiadian
Deadly
Deadly

Re: Split: Re-scaling experiment

Post by pleiadian »

Diziet Sma wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:19 am
V3.02 Win64 build, with Ship Library fix applied, bundled with the Rescale OXP, download link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/teo9ia9phdesh ... 2.zip?dl=0
For some reason this build is not respecting Griff's shader ships. Everything else is working, as it seems.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Any non-core ship should appear off-scale with this build, unless like-shipped to one of the core ones. I would recommend testing on a completely clean installation.
pleiadian
Deadly
Deadly

Post by pleiadian »

That's not what I meant... I meant the textures and shaders are not shown and/or respected.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On the moon Thought, orbiting the planet Ignorance.

Post by Redspear »

pleiadian wrote:
That's not what I meant... I meant the textures and shaders are not shown and/or respected.
That's weird, it shouldn't do anything to them...

Can you please confirm if it also happens to entites that have not been rescaled e.g. stations, pythons, transporters, anacondas?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

pleiadian wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:55 pm
Diziet Sma wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:19 am
V3.02 Win64 build, with Ship Library fix applied, bundled with the Rescale OXP, download link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/teo9ia9phdesh ... 2.zip?dl=0
For some reason this build is not respecting Griff's shader ships. Everything else is working, as it seems.

Hmm.. that's odd.. they're working on my installation.
another_commander wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:03 pm
Any non-core ship should appear off-scale with this build, unless like-shipped to one of the core ones. I would recommend testing on a completely clean installation.

Griff's shader versions, (with a few exceptions) are all like_shipped to the core ships. I haven't had any problems with them.

I'll take a look at the issue first chance I get, but here downunder, my work day is just starting, so it will have to wait until this evening my time (GMT +10).
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
pleiadian
Deadly
Deadly

Post by pleiadian »

Redspear wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:43 pm
pleiadian wrote:
That's weird, it shouldn't do anything to them...

Can you please confirm if it also happens to entites that have not been rescaled e.g. stations, pythons, transporters, anacondas?
This appears to be the case, yes. Not sure how to fix.
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

Astrobe wrote:
Astrobe wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:09 pm
Lol, I have four slightly different copies of Oolite now...
another_commander wrote:
another_commander wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:38 pm
Welcome to the club. :-)
...multiply this by 10 O/S variations! :x (9 VMs and one native SLAX on a usb stick)
Apologies for for the off-topic, but I couldn't resist nagging again! :P
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

<chortles>
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On the moon Thought, orbiting the planet Ignorance.

Post by Redspear »

pleiadian wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:06 am
This appears to be the case, yes. Not sure how to fix.
Another question: are you using the (outdated but functional) rescaling oxp or the shipdata changes implemented in the core (as a_c adjusted them)?
pleiadian
Deadly
Deadly

Post by pleiadian »

I pulled the current 1.85 code from GutHub, and compiled. I replaced the .exe (which had a siye of 25 Megs) with the one provided here (5 Megs), and installed the OXP bundled in the same download. I end up only being able to use vanilla textures.

I will pull the code again, but do all the changes myself including shipdata.plist, the other changes mentioned here, and then try it again. Maybe that helps.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Haven't tested or tried to reproduce it, but to me it looks like the rescaling experiment OXP's shipdata may be overriding the Griff's ships' one. This should not be a problem if you incorporate the rescaling experiment's changed plists inside the Resources folder.

Edit: As for the 25 vs 5MB, the one you generated contained also the debug information, while the one distributed had it stripped. It's still basically the same executable.
pleiadian
Deadly
Deadly

Post by pleiadian »

I also would like to mention that I am unable to pull code from this repo in its entirety:

https://github.com/Garryck/oolite-rescaling-experiment

I can do the initial clone, however when I am attempting to pull the submodules, I am asked for username and password, which always fails.

Seems as if I have no choice but pull the normal 1.85 code, and do the changes (described earlier) myself. I then have a clean rescale branch to test with.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Before you go into all this trouble, maybe you can try one thing: From Dizzy's package, take the plists and scripts and drop them in their corresponding locations in Resources, then remove the rescaling OXP. See if this makes Griff's ships work.
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

pleiadian wrote:
I can do the initial clone, however when I am attempting to pull the submodules, I am asked for username and password, which always fails.
I'm getting this same issue. My solution was to copy the missing submodules from my 1.85 source to the appropriate spots in the rescaling tree. That enabled me to compile.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re submodules: The solution is inside the Readme.md file, right at the bottom:
If you've cloned the source from a forked repository instead, this may not work - due to relative directory paths in .gitmodules, git tries to download the submodules from the fork instead of the original oolite repository. A workaround is to copy the file .absolute_gitmodules onto .gitmodules, then perform the submodules init, then replace .gitmodules with the relative path version. eg, on Unix:

$ cp .absolute_gitmodules .gitmodules
$ git submodule update --init
$ git checkout -- .gitmodules
You should now have access to the submodules, without git complaining that .gitmodules has changed or including .gitmodules in pull requests.