JB WIP thread: several ships

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

jackiebean
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: JB WIP thread: several ships

Post by jackiebean »

phkb wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:09 am
That fuel frame looks big - will it be able to launch from, and dock in, a station?
it is actually only as long as the original, and maybe about twice as high, but i have no idea yet if that will clip with the docks or not.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

If you keep the height below 64m then fit into all docks. The old fuel barrels are 30m in diameter so theoretically two in top of each other could fit if placed enough near. Otherwise until the height is below 81m then fit into main stations due to Griff's models use larger docks.
jackiebean
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by jackiebean »

i have not set up units of measurement in blender yet, only compared the new models to original models and so it should fit into griffs docks.
jackiebean
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by jackiebean »

OK, i know i have had a model showcase hiatus lately, but since i have gotten a few more built that i did not have time to show, here are a few pics of some heavy haulers, some of which were in the later elite games, but would be a nice addition to OOlite for some variation.

Redspear's suggested Transporter MkII

and a couple of ships from the later elite spinoff games: Panther and Spider

Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

jackiebean wrote:
Redspear's suggested Transporter MkII
Great stuff! Thanks :D

I'm intrigued by the curved vessel (second image) as I don't recognise that one.
These all look great and are quite faithful to the originals (from what I remember).
jackiebean
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by jackiebean »

that is the reimagined bulk hauler. I tried to stick to the original design but the slanted bulkhead under the dock kind of bothered me a bit so i just extended the structure.
tonyhippy
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by tonyhippy »

My reskin of the old Bulk hauler...
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Great reskin, looks very menacing!
jackiebean
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by jackiebean »

ok maybe that was the wrong name for the ship, since back a few posts i did have a new model for the bulk hauler discussed in tony's post which is the long range cruiser.

the bulk hauler i was talking about is this one http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Bulk_Hauler
Zed
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Zed »

Well, if we're doing requests, might I suggest the [EliteWiki] Llama?
Oo: Rebooting
E:D: Hunting for Earth-likes
jackiebean
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by jackiebean »

sure, i can attempt that. i just came back around to say i finally cleaned my old laptop and it is running way quieter and cooler now. instead of peaking at 93 degrees C, it is now down around 45-50 most times even with games running. so dust was the enemy.

i will be busy for a bit IRL but i should be be back in the swing of things soon.
Day
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Day »

Would it be possible to have a space elevator, pretty please :-) ?
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18876
tsoj
Deadly
Deadly

Post by tsoj »

jackiebean wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:29 pm
and a couple new ships for the commies

Is it intentional that this ship looks a little bit like this soviet airplane: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartini_Beriev_VVA-14?
jackiebean
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by jackiebean »

tsoj wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:15 pm
jackiebean wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:29 pm
and a couple new ships for the commies

Is it intentional that this ship looks a little bit like this soviet airplane: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartini_Beriev_VVA-14?
yes. but i am thinking of changing the mining vacuum to another design.
jackiebean
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by jackiebean »

Day wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:04 am
Would it be possible to have a space elevator, pretty please :-) ?
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18876
technically it is possible with some kind of tether to a satellite in geosynchronous orbit, and probably would not be difficult to model at all, but at the same token it might be more in line with the technology of oolite/elite to go with a compromise of sorts and make it an anti gravity space elevator? less possibility of catastrophic failure, more possibility for adjusting aim to the end point? not sure, however on the artistic level it would eliminate the need for a cable texture, even if mechanically (game mechanics wise) there is a straight path from the ground to the end point.

i have no idea how it all fits into the lore, and i am sure there are those that want some sort of space elevator oxp, but for now that is something i will probably shelve until i am finished with the growing list of models i still have to do, and the textures, not to mention actually getting them in the game period (which tends to highlight bugs) so yeah...

in the mean time i have a new model as requested, the llama, which i am sorry for the delay, but i had a ton of other things to do besides my modeling hobby, so here it is, and an aside, the textures seem to want to keep generating weird shadow artifacts that should not be there, and the only thing i can think of when generating the ambient occlusion is the complexity of some of the details is messing with the calculations a bit, but those can be touched up in gimp so it wont always look terrible. or i could always just cut the offending areas out and find another alternative to those design features, since they may also lend to weird rendering issues in the game. anyway...

now, where was i? that is the trouble with taking such a long break, you tend to forget where you were going next...