Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Introduce Yourself.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Re: Introduce Yourself.

Post by Norby »

Welcome pleiadian!

The map is static, but OXP-able. :)
For example cim made a brand new one for his Exploration scenario.
Even more/larger galaxies looks possible after some work.
pleiadian
Deadly
Deadly

Post by pleiadian »

Thank you all for your replies :)

I figured as much, the systems being static - which is really cool, I love that.

Can anyone point me in the direction of where the data for the maps is stored? I'd like to engage into an experiment.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

pleiadian wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:30 pm
Can anyone point me in the direction of where the data for the maps is stored? I'd like to engage into an experiment.
Welcome! The planet data is stored in your game's Resources/Config/planetinfo.plist file. Understanding its structure and editing it is pretty straightforward and you can always ask if something isn't very clear. Note that if you do change data inside that file, you will need to restart the game with the Shift key held down until the spinning Cobra appears. The game uses cached data to speed up its startup and holding Shift down on start signals that you want it to regenerate this information from scratch. This way your changes will be applied.

Edit to add: Regarding your database question, have you had the chance to check out the Oolite Reference Sheet PDF distributed with the game?
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

You can check planetinfo.plist wiki page for description of this file.
The coordinates = "152 205"; determines the x y position of a system, both in 0-255 range.
Astrobe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Astrobe »

Welcome!
pleiadian wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:41 pm
- Is there some kind of API or database set or something for items and ships in-game? If so I'd have fun in building an item database or some sorts :)
The game is based on a mix of config files in various formats and Javascript. Most of it is in the Resources folder.
But what do you mean by "database"? Something like SQlite or maybe an Excel spreadsheet?

A little question for you: did you play the tutorial by any chances? We'd like some feedback on it. Don't worry about right or wrong, positive or negative, just speak your mind.

Also, if you go for the nightly build for the atmospheric effects, checkout the new "easy start" option. It gives you more credits so you can buy "Witchfuel Injectors". This is a thing we want to experiment with because we believe the normal start is a bit too tough for newcomers.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

I should point out that 'we' does not mean everyone.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
pleiadian
Deadly
Deadly

Post by pleiadian »

Astrobe wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:46 pm
The game is based on a mix of config files in various formats and Javascript. Most of it is in the Resources folder.
But what do you mean by "database"? Something like SQlite or maybe an Excel spreadsheet?
Well more in the likes of accessible raw data... which I found now. I can work my way through that.
A little question for you: did you play the tutorial by any chances? We'd like some feedback on it. Don't worry about right or wrong, positive or negative, just speak your mind.
I did play through it of course. For the most part, it does introduce you to the most important elements, places you into basic scenarios. However I'd like to throw in one suggestion... Maybe there should be a short segment explaining in-flight controls a little better. I did not know I can turn the ship left and right, only when I looked into the Keyboard Settings screen, I learned it is possible to do. Maybe I'm missing something, but I did not see a feature I'd like to call "Side Thrusters" - like strafe the ship left and right. You're still looking straight ahead, but the ship moves sideways. This could prove highly interesting for evasive or other manoeuvres. Apart from that, it's a tutorial which touches the corners of the basics. This is coming from an casual gamer, but familiar with real world space physics (a little anyway). If the strafe feature exists and I overlooked it, I rest my case. Please just tell me how to do it.

You can see me as a casual gamer of the Ooniverse - I won't have the time to spend hours on end (although sometimes I'd like to, I'm just not in the situation for that right now).
Also, if you go for the nightly build for the atmospheric effects, checkout the new "easy start" option. It gives you more credits so you can buy "Witchfuel Injectors". This is a thing we want to experiment with because we believe the normal start is a bit too tough for newcomers.
Well since I didn't really "enter" the full game yet, I cannot speak for the normal start to be tough or not. This type of thing highly depends on the person playing the game - some like it rough, some want to have an easy ride. I am a person that likes challenges, working my way to the top with nothing in the pockets. So the normal start option is fine for me. Maybe there should be a poll among the more established players, and newcomers that spent some weeks with the game. That would be more representative. I only set up the game to my liking as of now, meaning I installed some expansion packs, HUD, etc. But I will let you know if I have reached some kind of representational opinion. :)
Cody

Post by Cody »

pleiadian wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:29 am
I did not know I can turn the ship left and right...
I think you're talking about yaw, which is something only the player's ship can do (in the core game).
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Astrobe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Astrobe »

If it is strafe as seen in FPS games (I think I've seen it in VegaStrike and Diaspora too) then no , it doesn't exist in Oolite.
pleiadian
Deadly
Deadly

Post by pleiadian »

Norby wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:15 pm
You can check planetinfo.plist wiki page for description of this file.
The coordinates = "152 205"; determines the x y position of a system, both in 0-255 range.
Just to touch base on that - I have been able to convert this data into a MySQL version, and have begun working on something. Will let you know when it's done.
Astrobe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Astrobe »

It could be interesting in order to compute things like population density, GDP, etc.
terry
Above Average
Above Average

Post by terry »

Hi All,

I'm very new to the world of Oolite but am looking forward to learning all about it here.
I played Elite once or twice on the joystick and loved it but unfortunately never got to play it again!
I then started on Oolite very recently and have yet to find my way around it but stay tuned!

:D
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Hi terry,

Welcome to the forum and game! Any question just ask. Suggestions and contributions to the game, the wiki, the lore and legends etc. are highly welcome:)
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Welcome aboard, Terry. :)
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
terry
Above Average
Above Average

Post by terry »

Thanks guys, much appreciated! :D