Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

How is bounty calculated?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

lolwhites
Deadly
Deadly

How is bounty calculated?

Post by lolwhites »

The other day I scooped an escape pod containing a pirate who'd bailed out after making the mistake of taking me on. Bringing him to justice netted me the princely sum of 1,5 Cr, less than the profit on a ton of food. I'd have been better off scooping cargo. Insurance on innocent people often pays out 100-250 Cr, so there's more money to be made attacking hapless traders than hardened pirates. Shouldn't it be the other way around?
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

An OXP pirate usually has a set bounty in the shipdata file. This also determins whether he is clean, offender or fugitive. The more offences a pirate committs since being called into existance and destroyed also increases his bounty. The native ships (eg a sidewinder) are relativley weak so have fair small starting bounties.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
ovvldc
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ovvldc »

Wasn't the pirate bounty awarded when their ship is destroyed? Much like your ship is linked to your legal status, rather than your person...

Best wishes,
Oscar
Wiggy
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Wiggy »

ovvldc wrote:
Wasn't the pirate bounty awarded when their ship is destroyed?
It's the bounty you get from escape pods that's being discussed, not the bounty you get from destroying pirates. :wink:
lolwhites wrote:
So there's more money to be made attacking hapless traders than hardened pirates.
Like life, then...? :lol:
You came in that? You're braver than I thought!
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

The bounty for capturing or resecuing someone in a pod is set in a similar way. If you give a particularly dangerous OXP charcter a <bounty> in chracters.plist, then should you scoop his pod, you are rewarded accordingly. Eg:-

Code: Select all

<key>bbot_prototype</key>
	<dict>
		<key>name</key>
		<string>a Malfunctioning BattleBot</string>
		<key>bounty</key>
		<integer>10</integer>
	</dict>
A piolt entry like this will give you the message "You have captured a Malfunctioning BattleBott" when you scoop the Bot (in this case the Bot is a ship, but when on energy low if you ECM it, it falls asleep and can be scooped, but the principle is the same for any pilot enty).

A malfunctioning battlebot isn't particulary dangerous, so I just gave it a small bounty.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.