Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Glowing marker for cargo canisters

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Glowing marker for cargo canisters

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Cargo canisters that're too good at hiding in the dark and evading every effort to scoop 'em driving you up the cabin wall?
Give this little trick a try:

Search for the barrel key in shipdata.plist. Graft this in under that key -

<key>subentities</key>
<array>
<string>*FLASHER* 0 0 0 60 1 -0.50 6</string>
</array>

Now those canisters have a flashing yellow road marker effect. It's a bit dim, you'll have to get kinda close to see it, but it sure beats a canister hiding in the dark.

Like a duct tape hull patch, it's a simple, inelegant fix to a small, persistant problem, and it gets the job done till something better comes along.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Glowing marker for cargo canisters

Post by ArkanoiD »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
Cargo canisters that're too good at hiding in the dark and evading every effort to scoop 'em driving you up the cabin wall?
Give this little trick a try:

Search for the barrel key in shipdata.plist. Graft this in under that key -

<key>subentities</key>
<array>
<string>*FLASHER* 0 0 0 60 1 -0.50 6</string>
</array>

Now those canisters have a flashing yellow road marker effect. It's a bit dim, you'll have to get kinda close to see it, but it sure beats a canister hiding in the dark.

Like a duct tape hull patch, it's a simple, inelegant fix to a small, persistant problem, and it gets the job done till something better comes along.
What about new equipment item - "subspace scanning radar", when activated it should switch the picture to familliar wireframe view without textures and light modeling ;-)

headlights was another good idea ;-)
johnsmith
Deadly
Deadly

Post by johnsmith »

If I put this under shipdata.plist in an OXP, will that override the built-in defaults? I'm trying to put together all the visibility stuff I can find in one place.
johnsmith
Deadly
Deadly

Post by johnsmith »

I would love a wireframe view. I've seen some older OpenGL games implement this, like Batallion. Means I could use Oolite on my SGI with more than 5fps. Plus it make things so much easier to see. And has a nice retro thing going. Wonder how hard it is to code.
Wiggy
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Wiggy »

johnsmith wrote:
I would love a wireframe view.
Ssshhhhh! Don't tell Giles that. He's just spent the last three years implementing 3d surface rendering and ray-tracing.....
You came in that? You're braver than I thought!
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Wireframe? You're joking, right?

If you want wireframe, then I have a Commodore 64, a copy of Elite for it, and a POS Atari stick in my attic. I didn't, and would not, download Oolite for wireframe.
The 80's are dead, and good riddance to 'em. Let Oolite move towards the future, not obsolecence.
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
CWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CWolf »

Hmmm, I kind of agree on having the wireframe as a viewing option...

Oolite should be available to all! Besides, I remember having Wireframe as a viewing mode in Mechwarrior 2 - I miss it in MW4, was handy for spotting things in amongst the debris.

Also, the world we see in Oolite is computer generated via cameras located around the ship - thus preventing pilot blindness from the sun or lasers, the computer should have a filter mode to do wireframe surely.
The act of talking b*ll*cks whilst waving one's arms about wildly is referred to as testiculation.

cmdr drayton
Above Average
Above Average

Post by cmdr drayton »

how about an "image enhancer" mode, which bumps up the contrast, but leaves the dust trails and stars as big blobby trails. Oh, and tint it all green ;-)

Or maybe it just reduces the frame rate to 5fps, which is actually something that you can (in principle) do with CCD based cameras to increase sensitivity. In that mode you'd take 200 milliseconds of images and add them all together. Anything that's too bright just goes to white, the rest just get brighter. The 5fps would be the trade off for this mode - got to be some downside.

Basically it would be a "camera gain" control.
Godspeed gentlemen, ladies, and small green furry things from Alpha Centuri
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

cmdr drayton wrote:
how about an "image enhancer" mode, which bumps up the contrast, but leaves the dust trails and stars as big blobby trails. Oh, and tint it all green ;-)
There's the right direction. An infrared nightvision mode, that ignores ambient light - or lack of it - and shows objects in shades of green and black, like modern nightvision goggles. :) Possibly as a buyable upgrade.
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

I did code up a prototype "Naval targeting enhancement" which put a white targeting reticle over unpowered targets (like canisters), which made it vastly easier to see things like canisters, but Giles didn't like the idea at the time. Personally, I liked it, but then again, I'm biased :-)
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

I liked it too, I'm having to wear glasses fulltime now, and there's no doubt that Oolite/Elite etc is tough on your sight. I tend to play in a darkened room with just sufficient light to see the keyboard (mind you I can just about touch type all the controls now). Any enhancement to aid the visuals gets my support.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

winston wrote:
I did code up a prototype "Naval targeting enhancement" which put a white targeting reticle over unpowered targets (like canisters), which made it vastly easier to see things like canisters, but Giles didn't like the idea at the time. Personally, I liked it, but then again, I'm biased :-)
That was a neat piece of code, but if I remember it put a lead reticule on the selected target, and maybe Giles didn't like that particular feature. Oh well...

Like TG, my Mk1s need a little shaped glass assistance, as well as cranking the brightness way up on the monitor - and I still can't make out dark objects worth a damn! And apparently this is a common issue with many pilots, glasses or no glasses. Hacking little flashers on cargo pods helps, but there has to be a better way...

Hey Winston, want to give a crack at a nightvision device? Please?
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

It's quite remarkable, the difference when you turn the room lights out, the space dust, clouds colours etc are really enhanced, Oolite space is quite beautiful (but there again so is 'er indoors with the light out!).

/me dives into a foxhole!
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

I'd like a big forward mounted spotlight, that just lights up the ships in front of you!
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
Hey Winston, want to give a crack at a nightvision device? Please?
I've been thinking a bit about a "fishfinder" device - not quite as high powered as the prototype "Advanced Naval Targeting System" that the last one was.

I'll try to find some tuits over the coming weeks. Then maybe I will be able to persuade Giles that this one won't upset play balance and should be in the main stream build :-)