Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: Aliens!

Post by Smivs »

Wildeblood wrote:
86% of all statistics on the internet are just made up.
:wink:
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Fritz »

"You wouldn't kill me just for a few credits, would you?" – "No, I'll do it just for the fun!"
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

Wildeblood wrote:
Not without a reliable source it doesn't. 86% of all statistics on the internet are just made up.

I'm sorry, if I have caused offence? You don't really believe you're descended from human/alien hybrids do you? Its okay if you do, I can respect that, but you need to say because it's an uncommon belief.

As for blood types, it's a fraught subject and if we begin discussing it sooner or later someone will mention the r-word and then the rainbow police will come and drag us all away for thoughtcrime. :shock:
but i am an alien.. i was not born in your country... lol , and not a citizen.... but at least im not a Kiwi...lol

nah just some bullshit off facebook i saw... had a good laugh but there are some out there who do believe...... (plays X-Files music)
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

The strange behaviour of KIC 8462852 ("Tabby's Star") is still unexplained …

KIC 8462852: Where Are We After Eight Months?

Meanwhile, in the constellation of Hercules:

An Interesting SETI Candidate in Hercules
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

I was reading about that 'signal' in Hercules last night. Not too sure what to make of it, but one never knows!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Oh phoo.
Miriam Kramer wrote:
That radio signal probably isn't from ET, and I blame all of you for making me write this:
http://mashable.com/2016/08/30/strong-a ... -debunked/
Cody

Post by Cody »

Oh well... at least they're finding new stuff in the search for the ninth planet.
They include an icy body with an orbit that takes it so far from the Sun that it is probably influenced by the gravity of other stars.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Yes, wonders of the cosmos, and so on, but …y'know. *sigh* :(
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Well, I reckon it is the Aliens. They are using their tractor beams to subtly change the Icy Body's orbit to put it on a collision course with Earth. :evil:
toudi_sk
Competent
Competent

Post by toudi_sk »

​What If We Haven’t Found Aliens Because Humans Came First?

It makes sense to me, sometimes I have the impression that we are only the beta version of a smart race :|
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

That's an interesting article, thanks - although I think there might be a tendency for planets in the "goldilocks zone" around red dwarf stars to be tidally locked: the future universe might be rich in slimes but low on complex organisms.

It could just be that the lifespan of a technological civilisation is short: say, 500 years, on average. Even if technological civilisations were relatively common, the chances of two of them detecting each other would be very low.

Or it could be that advanced, interstellar life is machine life. We've spent 3.8 billion years evolving to live on this one little rock, and it's immensely difficult for us to live elsewhere. Maybe complex biological, technological life is just a developmental stage, like a caterpillar. Or maybe we're not even the caterpillar, we're just the chrysalis. Which, I suppose, beats being the leaf!
Cody

Post by Cody »

Plenty of slimes on this little rock - some of them are human!
Jericho One
Harmless
Harmless

Post by Jericho One »

Let's assume that it is aliens. They will have no business with us, except to watch our progression or our own self inflicted demise. We are a very dangerous species that has no business becoming interstellar, and they know this. Now this, does not apply to everyone, Basic human response is to fear what we do not understand. Then we decide it is better to either smite whats different than us, beating it into submission or we blast very large holes into their countries, and our we are really good at blowing shit up. Humans are by nature narcissistic, vain, petty, paranoid, self righteous, and procrastinate on things that are of very grave importance. Can you imagine the damage that would follow in our wake once we become interplanetary or intergalactic? Yeah, it's a safe bet that they already know we are here and know exactly how dangerous we are. What have we shown them, that says we are ready for the next step in our advancement as a species? Nothing... We have destroyed our own planet and we have know we else to go. Fukushima...being the prime candidate for our extinction. Its also a safe assumption that they would have the technology to fix our ecological disatster that is fukushima. We can not be the only species in the galaxy that has faced this problem, right? NO, they are watching and waiting for us to grow the fuck up, or wipe ourselves out so we will not be a problem for them in the future.
DredgerMan
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Some buggy planet at the edge of the known universe

Post by DredgerMan »

Jericho One wrote:
Let's assume that it is aliens.
Let's not. There are too many scientific debates already waylaid by sometimes idiotic assumptions.
Flying The Sizzlin' Suzie VI, a trusty and venerable Boa Class Cruiser in Oolite 1.84 on

under Windows 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 64-bit
with a Geforce GT610 videocard
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Hi, Jericho One, and welcome to the Board.
That is a wonderfully dim view of Humanity! Humans aren't all bad you know, although collectively they can seem a bit iffy. :wink:
But what makes you think Aliens would be any different? Maybe they do know we're here, maybe they don't. Maybe they just don't care!