Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Brexit vote, the zombie apocalypse and other fallout.

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Should the UK leave the EU?

Yes
31%
No
58%
Don't know
3%
Don't care
No votes
Nothing to do with me, mate!
8%

Total votes: 36

Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Re: EU referendum

Post by Norby »

Cody wrote:
Smivs wrote:
A small island in the top right corner of the Atlantic Ocean.
<grins> It's actually quite a large island - the ninth-largest in the world, apparently.
So I am living in the largest island, including Africa if Suez canal is not count. ;)

Stock exchange report after Brexit: London -8.5%, Paris -10%, DAX -9.5%, Madrid -11.5%, Tokyo -8%, USA -5%.
Last edited by Norby on Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Yah-Ta-Hey wrote:
Should us yanks be happy or sad that the Brits finally showed some hutzpah?
If the pound keeps taking the exchange rate beasting its had this morning by mid afternoon you'd be able to BUY a sizable chunk of Quaint little merry old England for about 50 cents.
More generally, if you want to know how isolationism feels; I hear you have a presidential candidate that fits the bill down to the ground. Fancy tasting some of our candy? Vote in the perma-tan.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Rxke wrote:
Disembodied wrote:
In the longer term: five years of negotiation to get out, along with acres of new legislation to fill in gaps currently covered by EU legislation.
Ah? I thought it was a 2 yrs deadline.
I've checked - you're right, although that can be extended. According to Article 50 of the Treaty of Lisbon:
3. The Treaties shall cease to apply to the State in question from the date of entry into force of the withdrawal agreement or, failing that, two years after the notification referred to in paragraph 2, unless the European Council, in agreement with the Member State concerned, unanimously decides to extend this period.
Of course, this might speed things up:
4. For the purposes of paragraphs 2 and 3, the member of the European Council or of the Council representing the withdrawing Member State shall not participate in the discussions of the European Council or Council or in decisions concerning it.
In other words, the UK will not be represented on the Council that decides its withdrawal terms.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

This gets better by the minute (and yes I'm being Ironic.)
Oh and Spain want Gibraltar back.....
But I think they actually mean it this time.
Last edited by ClymAngus on Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Fritz »

Enjoy your meal! :roll:
"You wouldn't kill me just for a few credits, would you?" – "No, I'll do it just for the fun!"
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Disembodied wrote:
In other words, the UK will not be represented on the Council that decides its withdrawal terms.
I don't think that's quite as bad as you're reading it.

Paragraph 2 states that following the notification of withdrawal (which politicians appear to be falling over themselves to not be the person who actually sends that!) the Union and the leaving State agree terms. The Council - minus the leaving state by Paragraph 4 - then votes to accept those terms for the Union (the leaving state not able to vote again on the terms its already agreed, because it helped write them).

With Paragraph 3 requiring unanimity and the leaving State most likely to be in favour anyway, Paragraph 4 is just a formality when applied there.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

The problem here, the one which we are all studiously avoiding.
Is the main symptom of the British disease. We are stubborn.

Whichever way this referendum was going to go the loosing side was going to get stubborn about loosing.

And we have, in one of the only way the British know how; saying "Fu**'ya!" Raising our hands and walking away.
Problem is we need EVERYONE to sort this out now and we don't have everyone we have half,

Oh sorry we DON'T have half because the older you were the more likely you were to vote leave.

So at best you have a third of a half, oh but hang on....... The more limited your education, the more likely you were to vote leave too.

I don't even know how low that is as a viable "fix it" percentage of the population.

In real terms if your clever, and you voted leave for a good reason. You've got a lot of work to do! :D
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

I smell fudge!
sky news wrote:
The (German) finance ministry strategy paper expresses concern that the UK's historic vote may trigger a Brexit domino effect across Europe, according to the German newspaper Die Welt.
It recommends that the EU enters into negotiations aimed at making the UK an "associated partner country" for the remaining 27 nations.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Smivs wrote:
I smell fudge!
Vanilla Fudge?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

ClymAngus wrote:
Yah-Ta-Hey wrote:
Should us yanks be happy or sad that the Brits finally showed some hutzpah?
If the pound keeps taking the exchange rate beasting its had this morning by mid afternoon you'd be able to BUY a sizable chunk of Quaint little merry old England for about 50 cents.
More generally, if you want to know how isolationism feels; I hear you have a presidential candidate that fits the bill down to the ground. Fancy tasting some of our candy? Vote in the perma-tan.
An interesting response....I ask a simple question and I get a rhetorical question in return... classic diversion.... good job. some of you quote quite escapes me... must be english attempts at humour or sarcasm??? As far as Isolationism goes... I am all for it...
Last edited by Yah-Ta-Hey on Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
Dr Beeb
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Dr Beeb »

Norby wrote:
Stock exchange report after Brexit: London -8.5%, Paris -10%, DAX -9.5%, Madrid -11.5%,
um, European Bourses affected more than U.K. And Germans referring to departing countries in the plural ..
Next up, referendums for Scotland and Gibraltar?
White dots were so much easier to hit
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

The Independant wrote:
The 48% of voters who wished to Remain in the European Union are so mortified by the Leave result that a parliamentary petition calling for a second referendum has been set up.
the Petition wrote:
‘We the undersigned call upon HM Government to implement a rule that if the remain or leave vote is less than 60% based on a turnout less than 75% there should be another referendum,’
Find it here. There are around 765000 signatures so far.
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

My rusty Engrish...

Do they mean that rule already exists or they ask to make that rule?
Cody

Post by Cody »

Good grief! I suppose it was inevitable though!

@Rxke: I'm not aware of any such rule, so I presume they mean create it now. Really daft!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

The petitioners are trying to get this rule applied retrospectively - it was not a condition of the referendum under the Act of Parliament which triggered the referendum.
Over a million people have now signed it.
Although unlikely to be successful, it is worth noting that only 17 million of the total adult population of 63 million voted to leave. The vast majority either voted to stay, or were presumably happy enough with the status quo to not bother.