Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

SniperLock

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

vsfc
Dangerous
Dangerous

SniperLock

Post by vsfc »

Hi Commanders!

SniperLock oxp is now in download manager.

Cheers!
vsfc
TheOldGamer
Competent
Competent

Re: SniperLock

Post by TheOldGamer »

Hi there!

I'm enjoying it quite a lot, Sniperlock combines nicely with a Lance and Ferman Military Cannon heh heh heh... ;)

An interesting side effect I've noticed occurs during Torus drive - specifically under TTS drive. Sniperlock makes tiny corrections when your target is inside the sniper ring, and apparently when at high speeds that little twitch becomes seriously magnified. In other words, in the blink of an eye I wind up flying exactly 180 degrees away from my destination. I was confused at first until I discovered the cause, then amused. I do NOT consider this to be a bug; simply something a commander should be aware of: the need to angle off the destination slightly.

Brilliant OXP, I'm enjoying it thoroughly :)
vsfc
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by vsfc »

Interesting, I did noticed that correction too, but never had it to swing to 180 degrees.

I found also that this oxp is not behaving well with reverse control oxp. Will need to check it again.
TheOldGamer
Competent
Competent

Post by TheOldGamer »

vsfc wrote:
Interesting, I did noticed that correction too, but never had it to swing to 180 degrees.

I found also that this oxp is not behaving well with reverse control oxp. Will need to check it again.
Actually, I found rearward-firing with reverse control to be quite effective in my game. It's a little more challenging without the telescope's sniper ring, but pirates go 'poof' quite satisfactorily for me. :mrgreen: (I have an L&M military cannon in the aft slot. What with that and Sniperlock, Pirate hordes tend to...disappear pretty quick.)

For the record, I don't think the sudden direction shift is a real problem; one should be aiming off the target slightly anyway in TTS drive. I was initially surprised when diving on the Sun for a fuel-skim and it suddenly disappeared on me, but that's all. Certainly no trouble, especially when compared against the vast increase in targeting effectiveness Sniperlock provides. If my game is representative of others'; all that might be needed is a note warning against flying straight towards a target in TTS in the owner's manual. Great addon! :)