Windows 10 to run Ubuntu binaries

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Cody

ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Windows 10 to run Ubuntu binaries

Post by ffutures »

It's just been revealed that Windows 10 will soon be able to run Ubuntu binaries without conversion; basically very fast emulation since it'll be running the binaries but not the environment.

http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2016/03/ ... ndows.html

I think Windows 10 just got a lot more attractive to me, once they get the bugs out.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Windows 10 to run Ubuntu binaries

Post by Cody »

Steve Ballmer wrote:
Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to everything it touches. That's the way that the license works.
<chortles>

Windows 10 is not very attractive to me (for several reasons). However, Linux is becoming ever more attractive!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

And it's April 1st again already.
"So anti-globalist, he's practically a flat-earther."
Astrobe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Astrobe »

Well it should technically be possible.

But I wouldn't call it good news. It's probably the beginning of a Canonical-Microsoft merger, in which Microsoft will probably slowly but surely influence Canonical's decisions more and more. It wouldn't be too surprising coming from Microsoft given a) their long record of playing dirty, b) that Ubuntu is probably the most popular Linux variant and therefore their main threat, c) Win10's objectionable defaults with regard to user privacy (really, nobody should accept that) that may make some people switch to Ubuntu. Canonical itself was already on a slippery slope when they added Amazon ads by default (which you can disable, but still).

Companies that run free software... They sometimes end up doing questionable stuff because one never has enough money. Mozilla for instance, which is non-profit, added some partner features (IIRC Vodafone's Hello among other things) that were criticized. Even in non-profits, the decisions of the staff may be biased by the chance of getting a better pay check, or the chance of getting a friend hired.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

It's apparently real, though definitely not ready for the casual user.

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/Developer ... ows10.aspx
Paladin Tux
Competent
Competent

Post by Paladin Tux »

Astrobe wrote:
Well it should technically be possible.

But I wouldn't call it good news. It's probably the beginning of a Canonical-Microsoft merger, in which Microsoft will probably slowly but surely influence Canonical's decisions more and more. It wouldn't be too surprising coming from Microsoft given a) their long record of playing dirty, b) that Ubuntu is probably the most popular Linux variant and therefore their main threat, c) Win10's objectionable defaults with regard to user privacy (really, nobody should accept that) that may make some people switch to Ubuntu. Canonical itself was already on a slippery slope when they added Amazon ads by default (which you can disable, but still).

Companies that run free software... They sometimes end up doing questionable stuff because one never has enough money. Mozilla for instance, which is non-profit, added some partner features (IIRC Vodafone's Hello among other things) that were criticized. Even in non-profits, the decisions of the staff may be biased by the chance of getting a better pay check, or the chance of getting a friend hired.
I agree, but surely those dirty actions cannot be worse than the stuff that happens in those bigger for profit technology companies. (When Samsung sent all the money to Apple in 5 cents!)
Now with 100% less Wonderworm!