Laser Heat Sinks.

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

WeylandYutani
Average
Average

Laser Heat Sinks.

Post by WeylandYutani »

I'd really like to see these for sale as equipment, or maybe a reward for success in a future mission.

I think they should consume some amount of cargo space, maybe 5 tonnes per facing and be acquired seperately for each facing.

OR they should dissipate heat into the rest of the ship and make the cabin temp go up so that you still have to take it easy after a while.

Or both would be fine too.

It's just that in my flavor of classic Elite (C=64) with military lasers you could take out at least the first hostile in a pack at a good distance before the lasers overheat.

I miss that.

I may be mistaken but I don't think this can be done in a OXP because I have never seen any weapon heat reference in the shipdata files.
lex_talionis
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lex_talionis »

There has been a lot of talk about laser coolers, things like that, and it seemed that the general consensus was - no. having military lasers, while giving you the most powerful laser weapon, also means that you have to pick your battles, be accurate rather than trigger-happy, and generally save your fire.

ie, all the things i never normally do.

do a search on the board, you'll find loads of stuff!

hope that helps mate.
edible poet? onna stick?
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

"Heat sinks"

"Enemy power-up detected"

Mech-warrior was cool, but in this game you need to keep your lasers 8)
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
ramon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ramon »

I think laser coolers are a good idea! Especially as a lot of the new OXP include grand battles. Just make them really expensive if you want to even things out.
lex_talionis
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lex_talionis »

I still think no. No matter the expense, I don't want to see them in, because once you've got them, then it removes so much of the tension from dogfights. No more desperate evasion while waiting for lasers to cool, no more frantic rear-view battles because your front lasers are too hot, nothing.

I mean, look at the heat shields. Now, fuel scooping becomes so easy there's no worry. No longer do you have to pick your star, looking for a the right size of corona and star, you just sail in and it's easy. I've fuel scooped in an anaconda - surely that's a little non-sensical? From a point of view of the heat shields, I think they should be available only to the big, slow ships that acually need them to scoop, not the nippy little fighters. But that's getting off topic.

When I started this game I wanted laser coolers. But just wait til you're more accurate - you'll find you don't need them. If you spend an extra ten seconds setting up a shot from over 15KM away, then you can blast them for the full whack, then your lasers cool as you approach to finish off the struggling ship.

I hope Giles stays firm on this one! ;)
edible poet? onna stick?
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

Untill Giles produces an example oxp on howto create custom weapons, the player is stuck with the standard lasers and red-color.

For NPC's you can just fit a standard beam laser, increase the weapon_energy and presto! A military laser with less overheating.
Not sure about the standard energylevens of lasers though.
Riding the Rocket!
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Can give an OXP player ship coloured lasers with lasercolour same as with an NPC ship, but they are still lasers.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Arexack_Heretic
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

Really?

I thought playerlasercolour was fixed as red.
Giles must have fixed that. :D
Riding the Rocket!