Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Introduce Yourself.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Amah
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: aboard the Laenina Crowne - Yasen-N class space freighter

Re: Introduce Yourself.

Post by Amah »

A bit late but a welcome aboard from me too.

Always the width of a hand between your hull and the docking bay!

Amamh
Amah
bigstep_70
Harmless
Harmless

Post by bigstep_70 »

Hello to all members and moderators,
Total newb here... my name is Jody aka bigstep_70
I happened to find this game/sim somewhere out there in the web and was instantlly enthralled by what I saw.
I always been a fan of space-sim type games and the fact that its so customizable makes me drool with anticipation.
Ive only just downloaded the appropriate (x64) version for my PC, and while DLding popped in to read a bit and familiarize myself with the game.
I think I'll be downloading the x32 version as well... just in case.
I plan on playing "vanilla" as a new commander, then maybe a few eye-candy mods, as I dont want to overwhelm myself with unfamilier content.
BuuuuuT... I am looking forward to trying many of the addin mods and know that this game/sim will bring me countles hours/days/years of fun and challenge.
Hopefully I can start to contribute my own ideas/liturature/mods to the community as I become a more competent commander.

Greets and Cheers to all
bigstep_70
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Welcome aboard, Commander!
bigstep_70 wrote:
I plan on playing "vanilla" as a new commander, then maybe a few eye-candy mods, as I dont want to overwhelm myself with unfamilier content.
<nods> An ideal way to start... enjoy!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Amah
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: aboard the Laenina Crowne - Yasen-N class space freighter

Post by Amah »

Welcome also to "The friendliest board this side of Riedquat™"!

have fun!
Amah
drazaelb
Harmless
Harmless

Post by drazaelb »

Just figured I'd stop in and say hi.

Not sure how, but I was totally oblivious to the existence of Elite until just a few weeks ago. I had an Atari ST back in the day, and spent an embarrassing amount of time playing Star Glider and SunDog. A few years later after getting a 386 I started checking out one of the Wing Commander titles, then set it aside when X-Wing came out. Again sank way too many hours in to X-Wing, TIE Fighter, X vs. TIE, etc. Then I sort of got out of the whole scene after getting married.

I recently got nostalgic for the old days (I think the commercials for the new Battlefront game had something to do with that) and started wondering if there were any old games that might be playable on my circa-2009 HP laptop running Ubuntu (it came with Vista, which was intolerable). Unfortunately I can't afford a new PS4 or gaming PC to play Battlefront, and there's clearly no way this machine is up to that task.

A bit of searching turned up Oolite... imagine my surprise. And wondering where this game has been all my life. Just sitting there waiting for me to find it, I suppose. I think I know where the next several months (years?) of free time are going...
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Welcome to the boards, drazaelb! Better late than never!
MiSKLaCH
Poor
Poor

Post by MiSKLaCH »

Hello there Commanders, I'm MiSKLaCH from Italy.

I had my first home computer in the early 80's (1981, to be exact) but back at that time I was more into learning how to program my Commodore VIC-20 than into playing its "crappy" games. Ten years later, I managed to start playing my first videogames on a PC, it was the "Wolfenstein 3D" era.

Since then I mostly played FPS games (Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Duke Nukem, Counter Strike, Call Of Duty, Urban Terror... and so on) and some realistic flight and space flight simulators. Then, a month ago and in the very middle of my 40's, who knows how I ended up at Oolite. WOW! Amazing! I found it like 30 years too late! :roll:

Damnit! I love this game, and spend almost *all* my spare time (night time, mostly) playing it. 8)

My Jameson is now a "Master Trader" milking some profitable and safe trade routes (being a noob my fav atm is G1:Ceesxe-Leoned), doing parcel and passenger contracts, OXPs missions and so on... not much into fighting at the moment, but I'm pimping my Cobra Mk.III quite into an iron-ass ship, ready to kick some pirate's butts.

Did I told you that I LOVE THIS GAME!? :lol:
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Welcome aboard, commander. Italy, eh? Well, if your way brings you to Ravenna one of these days, give me a shout and the Leestian evil juice is on me. ;-)
Cody

Post by Cody »

Welcome aboard, Commander! Wolfenstein 3D, eh? <chuckles>
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Hi MiSKLaCH, good to have you aboard :)
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
limbo
Competent
Competent

Post by limbo »

g'day, the names limbo.
imagine that... Elite (almost.. sorta) for an old bugger to play on his PC.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Hi, limbo, welcome to the boards!
Cody

Post by Cody »

limbo wrote:
imagine that... Elite (almost.. sorta) for an old bugger to play on his PC.
For us old Elite heads (I'm in my sixties), Oolite is an absolute gem! It improves on the original in many ways, whilst retaining that old magic!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Ha, yes, lots of 'veterans' here old chap. Welcome aboard.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
TheJollySmuggler
Harmless
Harmless

Post by TheJollySmuggler »

Hello there!

I'm a french guy lost in Indonesia , in my early thirties. I discovered Elite thanks to my mom who bought me the Nes port when it was released.
It's probably the game I played the most back in the time....until some "friend" "borrows" it from me, denying me the pride of getting Elite in another way than through a weird bug (Starting a new commander, a misjump, acting like a kamikaze on some thargoid, ending up a fugitive elite with a ship with thousands of tons capacity, lasers everywhere stuffed with anything imaginable. Was no fun, didn't keep it).
Officially I reached the "deadly" rank and was basically shooting anything on sight (Nes version's ai was not that remarkable..or I was better I don't know, some games I used to thrash back in the day seem hard to me now I'm in my thirties - yes, Tmht, Megaman 3, Double Dragon 3 - I'm speaking about you. ).

Very nice memories....

So when I found out Oolite, you can easily get that I jumped on the "download" button. Flew for a bit, now "Above Average", trying to get the favors of some feudal system while trying to play it "clean" for once....oh, I shot some cargos but shhhh, no one saw me.

I read some topics before registering and the community here looks really nice, nice to meet you :).