Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Saved Game Files

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

fasnoon
Above Average
Above Average

Saved Game Files

Post by fasnoon »

Hello

Even after I put the Imperial C. ship oxp in the add-ons folder, I cant seem to get the ship to come up for sale. Does anyone have a saved commander file which they can email to me? Infact is there a sight or a link to a zip file which contails SAVED commander files with different ships? Could the Oosat site somehwo be updated with a sample of the saved commander file along with every new oxp when it comes out?

Oosat/Oosat2 only have the oxp's and not what I am looking for.
Please help and email me with some of the best customized ships out there with extra speed, cargo capacity etc. I would just love one of those.

Thanks.
[email protected]
- FAS
lucabu
Competent
Competent

Re: Saved Game Files

Post by lucabu »

fasnoon wrote:
Even after I put the Imperial C. ship oxp in the add-ons folder, I cant seem to get the ship to come up for sale.

Please help and email me with some of the best customized ships out there with extra speed, cargo capacity etc. I would just love one of those.
Imperial Courier is considered an "uber" ship, and is indeed very rare. You can find it in some High-Level thech world. It has a great cargo capacity, big speed, and it spins and turns around as a light ship.

Maybe for this reason, no savefile is provided: you have to earn that 600.000 cr and buy it, if you find it. Getting a savefile is a way of cheating, and cheating is bad :wink:...

Anyway, I guess flying an Imperial Courier may be a great experience.

As far as I know it's planned to tune it down, since his monstruous stats are simply too good for Oolite. I don't agree with this :evil:, but main opinion out there is different...
WeylandYutani
Average
Average

Post by WeylandYutani »

If you are dead set on getting that ship, your best bet might be to hack one of your own game save files and/or hack the shipdata file to make it more common.

Still cheating, but at least you won't have to have an accomplice in your dishonest endeavors. :D
Roberto
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Roberto »

I think the Imp Courier could stay as it is stat-wise, but the price is way too low. So it's technically possible to make a ship that good in the Oolite universe - but it requires a lot of very expensive parts/labour :)

And yes, I think it's far better to earn a powerful ship :)
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

I don't think it is too uber. In terms of equipment and energy it is the same as the SuperCobra. True it is a bit faster, but by the time you can afford the ship, money probley won't be much of a problem and you'll be more interested in doing missions and building up kills than trading, so the cargo space doesn't really matter that much.

Try going to lots of different high-tech systems and you'll see it for sale faily soon. It is rare, but not that rare. It just is only offered for sale at very high tech places.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

LittleBear wrote:
I don't think it is too uber. In terms of equipment and energy it is the same as the SuperCobra. True it is a bit faster, but by the time you can afford the ship, money probley won't be much of a problem and you'll be more interested in doing missions and building up kills than trading, so the cargo space doesn't really matter that much.

Try going to lots of different high-tech systems and you'll see it for sale faily soon. It is rare, but not that rare. It just is only offered for sale at very high tech places.
It is definitely uber. See the price, cargo capacity and features of FdL NG. It is what you get when you builld a ship that fast. IC for the same price? Ridiculous. It should cost 1M ore more.
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

I'd like to see the game itself define the ships. There should be an automatic trade off between size, agility, power, weapons, hull space etc that the game inforces some how. Ship OXPs would have to be 'accepted' by the game.

The ships designers would then have to compete on a level playing field, making the best out of the necessary compromises required. Uber ships would have serious flaws then (no cargo space, or poor agility for instance)

The best ships would be the best balanced.

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Panzerboy
Average
Average

Post by Panzerboy »

drew wrote:
I'd like to see the game itself define the ships. There should be an automatic trade off between size, agility, power, weapons, hull space etc that the game inforces some how. Ship OXPs would have to be 'accepted' by the game.

The ships designers would then have to compete on a level playing field, making the best out of the necessary compromises required. Uber ships would have serious flaws then (no cargo space, or poor agility for instance)

The best ships would be the best balanced.

Cheers,

Drew.
Well said, I say :)
lucabu
Competent
Competent

Post by lucabu »

ArkanoiD wrote:
It is definitely uber. See the price, cargo capacity and features of FdL NG. It is what you get when you builld a ship that fast. IC for the same price? Ridiculous. It should cost 1M ore more.
I agree about the cost of the ship. I disagree in considering 'uber' a ship. It should be like in the real world: if you have enough money you can buy a fast car; if you don't have money you should buy something cheap.
drew wrote:
Again, i disagree in letting the game to enforce ship characteristics, but we should consider the game to enforce ship price; in this way if you want a supership you'll have to pay for all that features. Like in real world, again. :wink:
Wiggy
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Wiggy »

I like the idea that the game would decide the price of the ship, not the OXP. That would stop you building a ridiculously powerful ship and buying it for buttons.

Obviously, this would have to be calculated on TL, cargo capacity, max speed, energy banks, equipment fitted and go faster stripes.

That would hopefully moderate the power of player uber-ships, and also give you something to aspire to at any point in the game.

I'm already saving for my generation ship...!
All your base are belong to me.
Mmmmwwa ha haha :twisted:
You came in that? You're braver than I thought!
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

lucabu wrote:
ArkanoiD wrote:
I agree about the cost of the ship. I disagree in considering 'uber' a ship. It should be like in the real world: if you have enough money you can buy a fast car; if you don't have money you should buy something cheap.
drew wrote:
Again, i disagree in letting the game to enforce ship characteristics, but we should consider the game to enforce ship price; in this way if you want a supership you'll have to pay for all that features. Like in real world, again. :wink:
You cannot expect a big truck to behave like F1 car, does not matter how expensive it is.
You cannot turn at high speeds the same way you do when driving slowly. So IC pitch rate is unrealistic for the ooniverse.

So to make it balanced the best way is to:
a) reduce speed to .500, it is still faster than Supecobra
b) reduce pitch
c) increase price to 1M at least.

Well, there is an Ubership, the Constrictor. If you are lucky enough to find one for sale, it costs 10M. And that's realistic. While it has basically the same characteristics as current IC except speed - just .05LM more.

See the Morrigan! It is big, rare and expensive.
Roberto
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Roberto »

I think in general we shouldn't be afraid of setting big price tags - in my main save game, I'm currently worth about 1.5 million and I'm still nowhere near being Elite (only Dangerous). Hence I'm designing a one-million-credit ship - something to shoot for when you've flying around in, say, a Wolf Mk II. And despite that price, it's still not "uber" - it's slightly slower than a Cobra Mk III and manouevres pretty sluggishly. I'm making it good enough (in respect of some stats) to be worth "just under two Wolfs" and nothing more.

I think this is the problem with ships like the IC - it's blatantly not "worth" just a bit more than ships near its price (the Wolf, say). Who would you fancy in an NPC fight between an IC and two Wolfs? My money would be on the IC, which tells you something.

*EDIT* Sounds odd to say "Wolfs", but I guess you would!
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

Roberto wrote:
I think this is the problem with ships like the IC - it's blatantly not "worth" just a bit more than ships near its price (the Wolf, say). Who would you fancy in an NPC fight between an IC and two Wolfs? My money would be on the IC, which tells you something.

*EDIT* Sounds odd to say "Wolfs", but I guess you would!
4 military lasers? No chance for IC ;-)

(well, i challenged a pirate formation consisting of a Basilisk, two Wolves and IC and killed them all with just lasers of my FdL NG, but the ship repairs cost me more than 40Kcr and it was really good for me that our NPC friends are pretty dumb at the moment)

BTW single-lasered Wolf MkII is definitely inferior to Supercobra, though more expensive.
ovvldc
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ovvldc »

Wiggy wrote:
That would hopefully moderate the power of player uber-ships, and also give you something to aspire to at any point in the game.
Of course, you could just decide not to install the OXP :).

Best wishes,
Oscar
themacman
Competent
Competent

Post by themacman »

ovvldc wrote:
Wiggy wrote:
Of course, you could just decide not to install the OXP :).

Best wishes,
Oscar
Exactly! I only download the ships that I think won't degrade the rest of the game. I think I have very few ships downloaded at the moment (i.e. I don't have the supercobra) and I like it that way. I do think the price in the IC should be raised, but I'm not to sure about having the game decide the price. Correct my if I'm wrong, but if you don't like the price of the ship you can go in and change it can't you?

Also I don't think the game should limit "uber" ships. I kind of liked the idea that I could make anything I wanted, I could make a ship that goes fast, has a large cargo bay, and has great maneuvering and do whatever I want. However, I'd never want to do that, since the game would lose a lot of it's interest for me, but the point is I wouldn't want to lose that freedom.

At the same time I don't think I would mind that much if both of those things happened.
B-räd

Mac OS X and Windows on the best machine, http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/