I need a lawyer

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

lolwhites
Deadly
Deadly

I need a lawyer

Post by lolwhites »

So, I'm arriving at the station at Arorar (Galaxy 2) and have just turned on the docking computers, when my alarm sounds. I look and an Urutu Mark IV with a clean legal status is firing on me for no reason, in the safe zone. I'm carrying no illegal cargo and my legal status is clean (no gratutious shootings of my fellow traders, no sir!). When I return fire, the cops weigh in on his side and tell me to prepare for termination!

I manage to escape to the sun and skim enough fuel to witchspace out to Erenanri, though by this time I'm a fugitive 'cos the cops left me with no choice but to blow them out of the sky in self defence. I arrive at Erenanri an offender, though when I reach the station, the cops call me a brigand and tell me to stand down my engines and not dodge their lasers! I nip into the station and dock successfully, fully expecting to cop a fine and have tp clean up after some treeoids. Nothing. No fine, no treeoids, just some normal trading.

OK, it was kinda fun, but should legally clean vessels be attacking their fellow traders with impunity in the safe zone, and then be able to call on the cops to help finish off their innocent victims? Shurely shome mishatke, your honour! Shouldn't the cops be hassling the criminals?
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

How an OXP ship behaves depends on the AI the author gives is. Authors of Mission OXPs often give their ships customAIs so they behave in a unique way approrate to the mission's plot. Although the authour has released this ship as a stand alone ship, I think he is using it in a series of missions. He has released it on its own because he has used some new tricks in the ships desgin and wants feedback on whether the ship works on all the versions of Oolite.

In assassins.oxp WIP i've got police ships firing on the player at certain times regarless of legal status (you may be squeaky clean on paper, but if you are an assassin on your way to blow the local presidents ship out of space, you still get fired at if your cover is blown!).

I think it is probabley that Milinks put a version of his ship with an "attack player AI" near the main station, so he could playtest his ship and hasn't taken this out of the script. You could get rid of the "test ship" by editing the OXPs script.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

You could just dodge the lasers for a bit.
After a while the vipers will launch and then the Uruthu will become offender->fugitive quite quickly.
Just make sure the police see him shooting first! 8)
Riding the Rocket!
MtKlima
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by MtKlima »

I moved away from the dock (so the vipers can exit the station), and then "parked" next to the station (with it at my back) so that any errant shots will be regarded by the vipers as an attack on the station. This seemed to elict a faster response from the vipers.

Then I pulled Urutu_IV.oxp out of my "add ons" folder because I got tired of always being shot at as I exit a station.

Now I am adding it again as Milinks has edited the AI and the new version is up on Oosat2.
Best, Michael
After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say "I want to see the manager."
- William S. Burroughs