Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Asteroid Scanner

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Asteroid Scanner

Post by Duggan »

This may well be a case of my wanting my cake and eating it....but...I was in an Asteroid Field (A perfectly plausible situation for an old prospector to be in )When a Comm from an NPC comes in saying "Asteriod scanned, Seems like a good one"

So I am , not to put too fine a point on it , An Ore Processor, It is how I mostly make my living in the Ooniverse... I often find myself popping Rocks and not getting even a Boulder, let alone a Splinter to scoop and process.

My Question then... How does an NPC obtain the ability to scan an Asteroid and where can I buy such a Scanner as it would keep my Cannons a lot Cooler and my Energy Banks a lot healthier if I could scan an Asteroid and only take shots at those likely to yield something... P.S : Don't get me wrong, I am very grateful for the One Credit and Half a Credit Asteroids and Boulders give me respectively .. But I really do like Platinum, Gem Stones and Gold :mrgreen:
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Asteroid Scanner

Post by spara »

The current version of the Ore Processor includes an asteroid scanner.
Anonymissimus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Anonymissimus »

A splinter scanner but not an asteroid one.
I installed an ore processor + scanner onto my adder start ship. A session with 5 TC cargo space gives you ~500cr on average, since the processed gold/platinum/gemstones is put into TCs instead of the ship's safe so need to dock regularly. it's fair given that it's a very safe way of making money - your fuel tank is nearly full always.
warning sound if a missile is inbound: Missile warning
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Anonymissimus wrote:
A splinter scanner but not an asteroid one.
:oops: I stand corrected. There's no asteroid scanner in Oolite. Would be interesting though. IIRC with a mining laser a standard asteroid yields 2-6 boulders and a boulder 2-6 splinters. That means 4-36 splinters per an asteroid. It would be funny, if scanning an asteroid would say that there's gold there and the asteroid would first spawn 6 boulders and each of those 6 splinters. Then you rummage through them all and after 35 minerals the final splinter gives you 2 grs of gold.