From Bedrooms to Billions

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Zark Montor
Competent
Competent

From Bedrooms to Billions

Post by Zark Montor »

Ok, so how many of you old farts (yes that includes me!) have seen From Bedrooms to Billions on netflix yet?
what an amazing docu-film thingy! A lot of my heroes are on there, including Ian Bell, yes Ian Bell!! If you haven't caught it yet, well, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?
Other noteworthy appearances, Archer MacLean, Rob Hubbard, Yak the Hairy (Jeff Minter), Simon Gray (he did the music for <=== that there game in my avatar (you also get to hear that great piece of music too!)) and Matt Smith the creator of Manic Miner.

I've watched it twice and it creates a nice feeling of nostalgia.

Enjoy!

ZM (nurse my bag needs changing!)
Last edited by Zark Montor on Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have returned! Less annoying and still enjoying the mighty Oo!
1.86 on self reconned dell studio xps thru Pep 8/64. Runs very well.
Nice to see its still well supported. Oo, Suits you, Sir!
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: From Bedrooms to Billions

Post by Cody »

Zark Montor wrote:
Ok, so how many of you old farts...
Get off my lawn!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Huge swell of nostalgia and slight personal guilt that I should have done more with my life than be a fanatic of the needful things that have come from the minds of such geniuses?

It is a bitter sweet pill at best. Yet one I'm strangely used to tasting..... :D
Commander_X
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander_X »

I must admit, quite twisted this UK video game industry history. Definitely due to the large hardware platforms they had to provide for. I must confess, I'm happy I took the right decision in not going for the "Spectrum compatible" kits I had access to (and I had to actually do work on during my University years); my first home computer was a Z80 CP/M enabled PC, which I could easily adapt to use on my TV as a monitor at the time. One year later it's been replaced by a whole MS DOS compatible enabled 286.
Interestingly enough, though, the final comments in the documentary show a console profile for most of the old timers -- which is somehow to be expected, considering the PC market, although well established by itself, is considered just "another platform" by the publishers.

Similar shows worth of mentioning (I think you can watch them all on YouTube), should be:
- Video Games The Movie 2014
- Hackers - Wizards of the Electronic Age
- PBS - Triumph of the Nerds
- PBS - Nerds 2.0.1
Besides the nostalgic side of these, it's worth mentioning the historic overview of some of the events presented, also the very "pop" approach of Mr. Cringely in his "Nerds" series.