These missons

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

booser
Above Average
Above Average

These missons

Post by booser »

Hi guys i keep hearing about missions in the game, I've now got to compet, brought a Josher, with all the goddies i can get on it (I think), but i still can't see any missions to take on.
Am i missing something, or doing something wrong?
Where are these missions?

Please help!

All the best.
Uncle Reno
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Uncle Reno »

All the info you should want can be found here in the Oolite Wiki. :)
"Get back or I unleash my lethal spotted batoid!!"

What I do when not reading the Oolite bulletin board!
Cos
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cos »

I've just started the constrictor mission, I follow to the point where I have to jump galaxies and then the trail goes cold? Can anybody help please, or am I missing somethinf really obvious.

Cheers

Cos :?
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

! SPOILER!
! SPOILER!
! SPOILER!

"There is a real whoreson beatle headed flap knave pirate out there"

Try Orarra!

I think this is a slight bug in Oolite, due to the fact that in Oolite you appear at a position in the new Galaxy relative to your point in the previous galaxy, whereas in Elite you appeared at a fixed point.

In the orginial (God! I'm old enough to remember playing it!) Acornsoft Elite you could get a clue to the stolen ship's destination by docking at any of the planets within your 7 ly jump range when you emerged from the Galaxy jump. - Don't think this is reproduced in Oolite.

I got into Oolite in Jan 2006 and had the same problem when I G jumped following the constrictor! Dredged my memory back to when I played the mission 20 years ago as a 14 year old on the BBC Model B! :wink:
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

LittleBear wrote:
I think this is a slight bug in Oolite, due to the fact that in Oolite you appear at a position in the new Galaxy relative to your point in the previous galaxy, whereas in Elite you appeared at a fixed point
In fact this varied between the versions of Elite, which made it a bit of a swine to reimplement. In the end I chose the appear-at-system-closest-to-coordinates-in-old-galaxy method as it offered the greatest range for exploration of the eight available galaxies.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

But if the location of the system where C g-jumps is fixed, wouldn't the location of player entry in gal-2 be known exactly too?

So why not script a few extra hints around those coordinates, to point player in the right direction?

It wouldn't make much difference, even to a hardcore-strict-Ooliteer I'm sure. :D
Riding the Rocket!
Cos
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cos »

Cheers everybody, I'll try Orrara now!

Cos :)
Arexack_Heretic
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Aegidian being on a break right now,
I have volunteered to undertake the titanic task of copying the constrictor hints over to a number of planets close to the last Gal0-Gal1hint locations.

It will be an OXP, so purists could do without. (And I know nothing else ;))
(I'll just copy the standard hints from the other G1 locations.)

These is really not much need for this I find.
There are many hints scattered around galaxy1 (11) linking to the trail. okay they are only 11 out of 255.
I added a few more hints around the warp-in-point. (Orrionti)
Uploading.

found a bug in Ionics while I was busy. ;)
Riding the Rocket!
Cos
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cos »

Got him!! I thought you got a cloaking device if you caught him? :?
Arexack_Heretic

YOU DIDN'T GET ONE ????!! :shock:

Nah, just kiddin'.

The cloacking deevice is a different mission.

I just got him myself. ;) In a rundown python no less.
Riding the Rocket!
Cos
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cos »

Bugger!! Oh well I'll just have to wait for that mission and get it then, cheers matey.

Cos :D :D
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

In fact this varied between the versions of Elite, which made it a bit of a swine to reimplement. In the end I chose the appear-at-system-closest-to-coordinates-in-old-galaxy method as it offered the greatest range for exploration of the eight available galaxies.
Stand corrected!

As a kid, I only every played Elite on the BBC B and C64. Finally abandoned my trusty Beeb for a PC when I started Bar School in 1994, so I missed the Arch Version! I'd had a blast on a BBC emulator version last year before I discovered Oolite, so remembered where the Blackguard was to be found!
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.