Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Split: Missile System Display

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Split: Missile System Display

Post by Wildeblood »

spara wrote:
ffutures wrote:
spara wrote:
It would be nice, if the missile/ident selector could be separated. That way there could be HUDs that show the missile load out and the target identity at the same time.
For me it's simple. 95% of the time I don't want missiles - I don't want them on line, I don't want to be targeting with them, I don't need to see what I have left. I really try to avoid having them on line since it's too easy to fire accidentally while docking etc.
Exactly because there are different player and different needs, separating the ID and the missile load out might serve a purpose. I can easily envision a fighter HUD used by bounty hunters showing the missile load out all the time. And to prevent misunderstandings, I don't mean that the current ID/missile element needs to go, I mean that there could be use for separate ID and missile elements.
With custom HUD elements now, it should be possible to replicate the missile display and have it always visible? Off the top of my head, I can't think of a reason why not?
"Would somebody stop that bloody music!"
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Wildeblood wrote:
With custom HUD elements now, it should be possible to replicate the missile display and have it always visible? Off the top of my head, I can't think of a reason why not?
I admit, I'm a bit rusty on this area. You mean by using drawCustomImage or something?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

spara wrote:
phkb wrote:
To someone who understands how the Ai works, do npc's react differently if you target them with a missile lock than with a id lock?
Cim's probably the only one who can answer that. I assume they _can_ act differently because there's an event for missile lock. In a big picture it does not really matter from the player's point of view, even the idea of neutral and hostile targeting affects the game play giving the game depth.
I do seem to recall posts from newcomers to Oolite complaining of being attacked by previously neutral ships, merely in response to them having put a missile lock on said neutral ship.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Anonymissimus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Anonymissimus »

Smivs wrote:
And knowing your current target is also essential so I can't see why you feel you don't need it.
There are 3 other ways it is displayed:
  • scanner targeting enhancement...okay, you have to have your current target within your current view for that
  • Combat MFD
  • After locking onto it (by cycling with key_next_target), a message "locked onto xxx" appears. In my screenshot it would be in the top right.
warning sound if a missile is inbound: Missile warning
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Anonymissimus wrote:
Smivs wrote:
And knowing your current target is also essential so I can't see why you feel you don't need it.
There are 3 other ways it is displayed:
  • scanner targeting enhancement...okay, you have to have your current target within your current view for that
  • Combat MFD
  • After locking onto it (by cycling with key_next_target), a message "locked onto xxx" appears. In my screenshot it would be in the top right.
1) If it's not in view that is no help - I'll often target the biggest perceived threat/s with missiles as an insurance policy, then clean up the 'easy ones' first with the lasers, knowing I have the big problem covered if he gets aggressive, and he could be anywhere at any time.
2) It's not displayed if you don't use that OXP :wink: (MFDs are a distracting pain in the **** and just clutter the screen which is why I don't use them).
3) That must be another OXP feature (which I don't use).

When discussing core functionality, it is best done in the context of the core game, and not with OXPs in mind as this just confuses the matter.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Smivs wrote:
MFDs are a distracting pain in the **** and just clutter the screen which is why I don't use them.
<nods> I do use the Navigation MFD, but it's only on-screen for a few seconds whenever I need the info - like you, I much prefer an uncluttered screen.
As for missiles, I can see some sense in two displays (one for ID, one for missiles) - but I have no problem with the current system.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Anonymissimus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Anonymissimus »

Smivs wrote:
3) That must be another OXP feature (which I don't use).
Nope. Just checked with a "strict" commander, the debug console and the nav buoy and station. Only OXP loaded is Debug.oxp according to Latest.log.
You can argue here that it disappears after a few seconds, but more than that I don't need. It's how I know my current target (rather than looking at CombatMFD).
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Ah, that's the console messages, which are part of the core game. As you point out though the message is only up for about 5 seconds, so it is only of limited merit.
I'm certainly not against separate missile lock and I.D. info - I can see some benefits to that.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Anonymissimus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Anonymissimus »

To make it clear, a screenshot any oolite purist should love: