Other Space-sims

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Imaginos
Deadly
Deadly

Other Space-sims

Post by Imaginos »

So what other (if any) Space-sims are you good folks playing?

I have X2 and X3 but don't really bother with them since I discovered Oolite.
I haven't bothered buying Elite: Dangerous as I don't think that my old PC is up to the job.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Other Space-sims

Post by Cody »

I don't play it, but if you liked Frontier (which from your other post, I presume is the case), you might enjoy Pioneer - it's kinda like Oolite's cousin.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

I tried Kerbal Space Program but couldn't get the hang of it at all. At the moment nothing else. In the past I've played Wing Commander and its successors.
Anonymissimus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Anonymissimus »

http://a-astra.com/

It's just a small project of a single person, but it's much better than oolite in a few aspects. For instance, you can configure everything about the way of control you want to use, in an UI as is the standard in a normal program. The way of control is generally easier and straightforward. No need to ident or press thousands of keys until you can finally fire that missile.
Oh, and it takes not that much system resources. Especially compared to modern things like kerbal space program.
warning sound if a missile is inbound: Missile warning
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

I'm fairly heavily into Kerbal Space Program at the moment.. busy helping with a project recreating Mark Watney's drive across Mars and rendezvous with the Hermes flyby, from the book The Martian. My current task is setting up the free-return trajectory and flyby of Hermes.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Amah
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: aboard the Laenina Crowne - Yasen-N class space freighter

Post by Amah »

Anonymissimus wrote:
http://a-astra.com/

It's just a small project of a single person, but it's much better than oolite in a few aspects. For instance, you can configure everything about the way of control you want to use, in an UI as is the standard in a normal program. The way of control is generally easier and straightforward. No need to ident or press thousands of keys until you can finally fire that missile.
Oh, and it takes not that much system resources. Especially compared to modern things like kerbal space program.

":s: l:ong:s:ers:0:L:inu:x:ve:rsi:on:0:th:nx"
Amah
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Yeah.. a pity about that.. but about what you'd expect.. releases for multiple OSs is a big ask for a single developer.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Amah
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: aboard the Laenina Crowne - Yasen-N class space freighter

Post by Amah »

It sounds actually harsher than I intend. But not anyone uses Win and don't want to fiddle with wine here on my Linux box. Therefore I think OOlite has a big advantage over many of those socalled "superior" games... It's open and cross platform.
Amah