Tinkerer's Workshop - OXP tweaking for fun and profit!

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Tinkerer's Workshop - OXP tweaking for fun and profit!

Post by Switeck »

Pretty much any equipment that's installed via a missile slot should have an upper limit of ~1 hour install time.

They are pretty much all Sealed Rounds that come ready-to-use and don't have to be fueled and prepped before firing.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

phkb wrote:
I think it's kind of odd that a standard missile takes 15 minutes to install, but an ECM hardened mission takes over an hour. Why is that? I mean, it's getting put into the same slot.
Basically, it's because the core game bases installation time on item price. Kind of logical in theory, but as you've noticed, it does lead to a few things that don't make sense. Another example; renewing your subscription to TraderNet in cim's New Cargoes should be instantaneous.. rather than taking several hours.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

Smivs wrote:
Cody wrote:
I wonder how OXP authors feel about posted tweaks (even with a disclaimer) to their works?
I can't speak for others, but I would be happy with this. We release these under licenses that allow them to be tweaked, and I think on balance seeing some tweaks of your own work could actually be useful. For example my recent post relating to fixed passenger berths led to a few tweaks, and several useful variations of controlling berths are now available to everybody as a result.
And if the tweak is a good idea, it might even be assimilated into the original OXP :twisted:
Absobloomin true.
Just remember the game doesn't exist without all they progers and tweakers.
If they didn't want you to play well they wouldn't post the code.

And Ye. I got my ship the way I want it by asking here..
'How do I do this?'
and all they progers answered, I like to think they were laughing while telling me some basics to them and confousios to me, Tis the game after all.

I fly my Cadceus "oober" dunknow how oober that is. Still see the "Press Space" screen a wee bit too often :lol:
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
If you do not see "Press Space" more often than you want.. Your not trying!
Layne
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Layne »

I've got a lot of older oxp's with station markets that don't work in 1.82, for obvious reasons-- I know how to convert most of them, but is there a simple way to remove access to the F8 market screen entirely? Rather than show an empty market, in some cases I'd just rather have those stations not have the option for any market screen at all.
Reports of my death have been greatly underestimated.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Layne wrote:
I've got a lot of older oxp's with station markets that don't work in 1.82, for obvious reasons-- I know how to convert most of them, but is there a simple way to remove access to the F8 market screen entirely? Rather than show an empty market, in some cases I'd just rather have those stations not have the option for any market screen at all.
Stick a mission screen on top of it saying: "Access denied".
Layne
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Layne »

spara wrote:
Layne wrote:
Sorry, not following the suggestion. How's that work in terms of scripting?
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Layne wrote:
spara wrote:
Layne wrote:
Sorry, not following the suggestion. How's that work in terms of scripting?
Ah. Sorry. Something like this as a worldscript:

Code: Select all

this.guiScreenChanged = function(to, from) {
	if (guiScreen === "GUI_SCREEN_MARKET" && player.ship.docked && player.ship.dockedStation.hasRole("unique_station_role_here")) {
		mission.runScreen({
			title: "No market",
		});
	}
}
Layne
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Layne »

spara wrote:
Ah. Sorry. Something like this as a worldscript:

this.guiScreenChanged = function(to, from) {
	if (guiScreen === "GUI_SCREEN_MARKET" && player.ship.docked && player.ship.dockedStation.hasRole("unique_station_role_here")) {
		mission.runScreen({
			title: "No market",
		});
	}
}
Ah, that looks like just the thing, thank you, Spara!

EDIT: Well, hmm, that works a touch /too/ well, it's blocking all the GUI screens for every single station, including status screens, etc, and won't even let you back out to launch. Am I setting this up wrong? The only change I made was to add navy stations and RRS stations to the 'unique station role here' block, as follows:

if (guiScreen === "GUI_SCREEN_MARKET" && player.ship.docked && player.ship.dockedStation.hasRole ("navystat") || ("rrs_group_spacestation")) 

Ahah, figured it out, missing parentheses. I fixed my mistake and it works now. A quick fix for markets that are not worth updating for 1.82 but that look awkward as a line of 0.0 Cr prices. This should do the job now.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

If you plan to extend the features of your HUD then consider adding Custom HUD dials. There are many calulated ones if CombatMFD OXP is installed, for example to show accurate injector, torus, torustosun, q-charger and farplanets speeds simply add these lines into your hud.plist in the dials section:

{
	data_source = "combatSpeed"; selector = "drawCustomText:";
	alpha = 1.0; height = 13; width = 15; x = 151; y = 87; y_origin = -1;
},
There is another example how to add a hull bar here.

Many custom dials defined by CombatMFD are used in [wiki]HUDSelector[/wiki]'s built-in HUDs:
In this way you can travel even without showing the MFD window.

For your ideas choose a unique name into data_source (like yourEnergy in the next example) and update the value within a timer:

"use strict";
this.name="yourworldscript";

this.startUp = function() {
    this.$Timer = new Timer(this, this.$show.bind(this), 1, 1);
}
this.$show = function() {
    player.ship.setCustomHUDDial("yourEnergy", player.ship.energy);
}
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

A little tweak for Povray Planets - here.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Zed
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Zed »

Quick and easy question: I'm trying to tweak the Merlin_(Oolite) so it doesn't show up as often and with all the equipment possible. Is setting chance to 0.30 a good setting for "A Merlin? Sweet! You don't see those very often." kind of feeling or should it be lower?
Oo: Rebooting
E:D: Hunting for Earth-likes
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

That has got to be the least informative wiki page I've ever seen!
If you are referring to the shipyard.plist then reducing the Chance will both reduce the chance of player ships appearing in the shipyard, and also will reduce the chance of equipment being fitted. You can control availability via a condition script as well which is more flexible. If you just want to reduce the number of NPCs you see you will need to reduce the role weights in the shipdata.plist.
Come back if you need further details on any of this.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Smivs wrote:
That has got to be the least informative wiki page I've ever seen!
<chortles> Yeah, ain't that the truth!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Fritz »

On Wikipedia, this would be a candidate for {{speedy}} or, in German, {{SLA}}, and it's half-life would be measured in minutes... :D
"You wouldn't kill me just for a few credits, would you?" – "No, I'll do it just for the fun!"
Zed
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Zed »

I think I worded that a bit confusingly. I want to not only reduce the chance the ship shows up in shop but also reduce the chance it shows up with extra equipment. Chance is sitting at a "1" right now so I figure turning that number down a bit should do the trick. I was just wondering if 0.30 was low enough to get that "Wow!" feeling or if lower was better based on everyone else's experience. I haven't looked at anything on the NPC side yet but the spawn rate doesn't feel too excessive (in my limited experience).
Oo: Rebooting
E:D: Hunting for Earth-likes