Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[Solved] Gnustep

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

davcefai
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

[Solved] Gnustep

Post by davcefai »

When I first installed Oolite for Linux, GNUstep was a requirement. I now have the impression that it is only necessary for development. if so I will purge it from my system as it is a pain, especially at upgrade time.

Could somebody please confirm that, as I don't do development, I don't need it? (Or otherwise).

I wold like to clear this up before installing v1.8

Thanks and regards

dc
Last edited by Getafix on Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as "Solved"
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Gnustep

Post by another_commander »

GNUstep is the heart of Oolite and has to be present for the game to run. Almost all functionality in Oolite depends on GNUstep.

While we are at it, I would also like to take the opportunity to say that the correct version reference is 1.80, NOT 1.8. I see this mistake happening a lot when talking about the latest version. In the world of software versioning, 1.8 is a much much earlier version than 1.80.
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

davcefai wrote:
...it is a pain, especially at upgrade time...
Could you, please, elaborate on this? :?

Upgrading Oolite is as simple as executing oolite-update.
Furthermore, Oolite installer only installs the gnustep-base library,copying it in the Oolite installation folder tree, without interfering at all with Linux installation. This GNUstep library is only used by Oolite and it is deleted when Oolite is uninstalled.
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

What Getafix said.. Oolite installs just the part it needs, for you.. you don't need the rest of Gnustep installed.. just as well too, since it's such an ugly, clunky thing.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
davcefai
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by davcefai »

Thanks to all. Soon I'll be taking an axe to Gnustep :lol:

dc
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

:lol: I just pictured that :lol:
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
OldThrashbarg
Above Average
Above Average

Post by OldThrashbarg »

Running ubuntu 14.04 with a Gnome3 Desktop i have second thoughts on removing Oolite v 1.77.1. In the Directory /home/GNUstep/ there are only 2 files: /Defaults/oolite.plist and library/Caches Oolite-cache.plist. I'm not exactly familiar with GNUstep, but i wonder if savegames still work when removing or purging the package scince oolite.plist seems to contain various information about savegames as also equipment or Game options.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

OldThrashbarg wrote:
i wonder if savegames still work when removing or purging the package
Should work imho, I copied just the savegames to other machines into fresh Oolite installs without problems.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Norby wrote:
OldThrashbarg wrote:
i wonder if savegames still work when removing or purging the package
Should work imho, I copied just the savegames to other machines into fresh Oolite installs without problems.
Agreed.. about the only thing to remember is that once loaded and re-saved under 1.82, the gamesaves will not load in 1.77.1 any more. If that's a consideration for you, consider making a backup of your saves before opening them in 1.82.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Lone_Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lone_Wolf »

~/GNUstep/Defaults/oolite.plist appears to be the file where recent GNUstep versions stores oolite settings that used to go in ~/GNUstep/Defaults/.GNUstepDefaults file, like the joystick settings.

OXPs : My user page

Retired, reachable at [email protected]
OldThrashbarg
Above Average
Above Average

Post by OldThrashbarg »

Thanks! That's good hints here. Scince i also encountered some troubles executing the .run file from the newest version from oolite.org i might soon open a new thread if i can't find a solution .
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

OldThrashbarg wrote:
Running ubuntu 14.04 with a Gnome3 Desktop i have second thoughts on removing Oolite v 1.77.1. In the Directory /home/GNUstep/ there are only 2 files: /Defaults/oolite.plist and library/Caches Oolite-cache.plist. I'm not exactly familiar with GNUstep, but i wonder if savegames still work when removing or purging the package scince oolite.plist seems to contain various information about savegames as also equipment or Game options.
Removal of the package - even with the purge option - shouldn't touch files in your home directory.

oolite.plist is where some of the game settings are stored. So long as you don't mind resetting a few things it's not a big deal if you lose it, but you may as well keep it around to save time after the upgrade.

Oolite-cache.plist contains processed OXP information for quicker startup time. It'll be discarded as too old anyway when you install a new Oolite version.

Save games don't depend on either file - you can copy them around as you like. Again, removing the package shouldn't affect them.