Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Reshade Effects in Oolite

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Reshade Effects in Oolite

Post by another_commander »

Those of you with a high-end system capable of supporting OpenGL 4.3 and higher may be interested in this little graphics effects injector: http://reshade.me/

We have not tested it extensively yet, but it seems to work out of the box with Oolite. Here is a screenie of a Coriolis with the default utility settings:

Apparently a large range of effects is possible with this and one can even design their own shaders or personalized effects. It definitely looks very interesting and promsing.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Reshade Effects in Oolite

Post by Cody »

How does one use this utility? Simply download and install - where?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

I didn't try it myself as I don't have a capable system, but I believe that what you do to make it work is this:
1. Extract Reshade32.dll or Reshade64.dll into the oolite.app folder, depending on which variant of the game you are running.
2. Extract the Reshade folder of the package also into oolite.app (maintain the folder structure when doing that).
3. Rename Reshade32/64.dll to opengl32.dll.
4. Run oolite normally.

There is also a Readme.txt file in the package, make sure to give it a look before you start.

Hopefully this is all you need to do. I hope that either Getafix or myself will be able to provide some more specific installation instructions some time tomorrow, if the above is not sufficient.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Thanks - perhaps later tonight I'll give it a go.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Sounds interesting.. makes me wish I had hardware capable of using it.

Pity it's Windoze only, though.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

While still looking into how Reshade does its magic in Oolite, it may be helpful to note, for anyone who would like to experiment with it, that probably the easiest way to set it up is to use the Mediator utility that comes included in the package. This will allow to not only set it up correctly, but to also pick actual effect groups that are to be applied when Oolite launches.
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

Diziet Sma wrote:
But it IS for windows!?!

EDIT: Now I got it... :oops:
Last edited by Getafix on Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
Day
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Day »

Wow !
Lone_Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lone_Wolf »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Sounds interesting.. makes me wish I had hardware capable of using it.

On linux proprietary Nvidia and AMD drivers do support that OpenGL version, and the opensource mesa drivers will soon support Open GL 4.1 / 4.2 .

However, given the huge lag in switching to newer drivers in many distros (especially ubuntu LTS & Debian stable) it might be better to target OpenGL 3 instead of 4.

NOTE : i have no idea what OpenGL version is supported on OS X or windows Intel driver.

OXPs : My user page

Retired, reachable at [email protected]
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

I did a tutorial on how to install Crosire's Reshade v1.0.0 post-processing injector and
how to mod Oolite 1.82, using Lucifer's mediator tool to configure and apply:
  • CustomFX - DEBAND (default values): Applies debanding to minimize banding artifacts.
  • GemFX - BLOOM (custom values): Bloom, based on MasterEffects & asmodean bloom.
  • GemFX - LENSDIRT (default values): Simulates a dirty camera lens.
  • SweetFX - FXAA (default values): Anti-aliasing. Smoothens jagged lines using the FXAA technique.
Click the screenshot to check it out.
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Lone_Wolf wrote:
On linux proprietary Nvidia and AMD drivers do support that OpenGL version, and the opensource mesa drivers will soon support Open GL 4.1 / 4.2 .

However, given the huge lag in switching to newer drivers in many distros (especially ubuntu LTS & Debian stable) it might be better to target OpenGL 3 instead of 4.
The thing is, unless your game runs on the Unity game engine (as with, for instance, KSP), native Linux support for windows .dll files is rather thin on the ground. And ReShade, being a Windows program, does its magic through .dll's.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Getafix wrote:
Click the screenshot to check it out.
Looks good! (starts wondering where I can steal a couple of K$ from, to build a decent gaming rig)
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Thanks for the tutorial Getafix, that was really helpful. I think it will take a good while for someone to explore all those effects options. It would be interesting to see what settings setups people can come up with.
Lone_Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lone_Wolf »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Lone_Wolf wrote:

The thing is, unless your game runs on the Unity game engine (as with, for instance, KSP), native Linux support for windows .dll files is rather thin on the ground. And ReShade, being a Windows program, does its magic through .dll's.
Understood, maybe steam game developers will use it and ask/help reshade authors to make it portable.

OXPs : My user page

Retired, reachable at [email protected]
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

*curses bitterly at the fact the drivers for my GFX card switching are malfunctioning thus sentencing me to play only on the Intel HD 3000*