Long range chart usability

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Long range chart usability

Post by Wildeblood »

Why after one has purchased the Advanced Navigational Array does one have to press shift-6 to make the lines appear on the star chart? Why aren't they just there? Does anyone ever not want to see the lines?
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Long range chart usability

Post by CommRLock78 »

I agree that the Shift+6 is a bit cumbersome. It would be nice if hitting shift+6 once would toggle the lines on or off. But then, trip planning would be affected... so either having them on full-time or choosing another keybinding for toggling on/off would be the way to go.
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Agreed it would be nice to see the lines, the but the function of Shift-F6 and (I think) Ctrl-Shift-F6 is simply to show you the quickest route (time) and shortest route (distance) so you know what route to take when doing contracts. Not sure how difficult it would be to get the lines to appear all the time, worth looking into though... :mrgreen:
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Wildeblood wrote:
Why after one has purchased the Advanced Navigational Array does one have to press shift-6 to make the lines appear on the star chart? Why aren't they just there? Does anyone ever not want to see the lines?
A good point ... and arguably the lines should be there whether one has bought the ANA or not. They should be an intrinsic part of the chart, like they are in ClymAngus's vector maps. This might change the game a little bit, in that without them it can be possible for a player to take a "wrong turning", or to make the assumption that a particular gap is crossable when it isn't - but since they're part of the ANA then I don't see any real objection on this score.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

As it happens, I kinda like seeing only the stars (without the lines) when I view the long range chart.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Alex_F
Average
Average

Post by Alex_F »

Hello,
I have a problem with the ANA - it doesn't show the lines and quickest routes, even when pressing shift+6 or Shift+ctrl+6, or whatever. However, it show the routes when I select a parcel delivery contract. But the planet change colour when I press shift+^. Is there another way to get it to work?

Info: it's a mac, running 10.7, oolite 1.8 and the small bluetooth keyboad, with swiss german layout.

Any help appreciated!

Alex
Clean and dangerous. So far...
Cody

Post by Cody »

Possibly linked to this.
Alex_F
Average
Average

Post by Alex_F »

Thanks for the help, but... no, as I don't have a retina mac, and haven't downloaded 1.82. I try to swap keyboards when back home, maybe it has something to do with the key settings?

Alex
Cody

Post by Cody »

Alex_F wrote:
Thanks for the help, but... no, as I don't have a retina mac, and haven't downloaded 1.82.
Oops! In my defence, I ain't even had morning coffee yet!
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

I think in 1.80 you have to hold down shift-6 or ctrl-shift-6, not just press it. Is that right? The lines would only be visible as long as you were holding the keys down.
Alex_F
Average
Average

Post by Alex_F »

Problem solved; it's not just shift+6, but it also depends on the country-settings of the keyboard. After having switched to the US-layout, it worked fine!

:)

Alex