Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Ionics question

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Thixotropy
Harmless
Harmless

Ionics question

Post by Thixotropy »

Hey all. I'm a C64 Elite kid from way back, just discovered Oolite a few weeks ago, and now I'm knee deep in love with Giles and the rest of you for recreating this monster that keeps me up nights.

I'm getting close to the end of the Ionics government ships mission, and a funny thing happened to me on the way to the Link Base...

I was coming out of the Ramaza station and headed toward the Link Base when I got into a little...disagreement...with the local authorities. Now I'm a Fugitive, but I figure that it's no big deal, the Link will take care of it. So I make my way down there after finishing up my 'business' and try to dock with the Link Base. Now usually I manually dock with things like Rock Hermits, just because it's faster, but this time I had something to do, so I turned on the DC, and I get a message that the station doesn't accept fugitives or something like that. Fully appreciating the irony, I manually dock and get slapped with a 5,000 cr. fine. Ouch.

I can't figure that out. I thought I might have accidentally killed a Link vessel during the aforementioned altercation, since I did have to kill an opportunistic bounty hunter in addition to the station cops and the government vessels, but it was all real clean, no Q-bombs or anything indiscriminate like that. Any ideas? Bad karma?

Also, in a somewhat related vein, anybody find it a bit tricky to dock with the Link Base? Usually I scream full-blast into Rock Hermits with no problem, but now it seems a though I bang my hull into the sides of that thing even when I'm being pretty careful. And a little smacking around is virtually guaranteed when I try to use the DC.

Thanks
themacman
Competent
Competent

Post by themacman »

There was a previous thread about the fines before, I didn't have that problem it just wouldn't let me dock with the computers. However, I don't know about scraping the edges, I do fine and when I scrape (sp?) it's because I wasn't doing it that great, but my docking computers never bang against the base.
B-räd

Mac OS X and Windows on the best machine, http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

Galileo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: Ionics question

Post by Galileo »

Thixotropy wrote:
I get a message that the station doesn't accept fugitives or something like that. Fully appreciating the irony, I manually dock and get slapped with a 5,000 cr. fine. Ouch.
:D I'm aware of that problem, unfortunately there's nothing (AFAIK) that I can do to fix it.

Thixotropy wrote:
Also, in a somewhat related vein, anybody find it a bit tricky to dock with the Link Base? Usually I scream full-blast into Rock Hermits with no problem, but now it seems a though I bang my hull into the sides of that thing even when I'm being pretty careful. And a little smacking around is virtually guaranteed when I try to use the DC.
Not sure what's happening there but I will look into it.
Eat talking tree, food blenders!
Virtual Saturna
Average
Average

Post by Virtual Saturna »

I'm having that trouble with the Link base as well. I stopped using the docking computer because 90% of the times it knocks me into the side and most of the time either causes expensive damage to ship components or at worst kills me. Once it even drove me straight into the side of the rock and I couldn't react fast enough to stop it. I suppose I could have stopped it sooner but I thought to myself "surely it doesn't intend to run me straight into the rock, it's just adjusting something".

So I just manually fly in there as it gives me a better survival chance.
Virtual Saturna
Average
Average

Post by Virtual Saturna »

I forgot to mention that one time Oolite actually crashed altogether when docking with The Link. As soon as it went through the purple tube animation to arrive inside the whole program quit. That was just yesterday and the only time Oolite has crashed on me. I'm running 1.65 on OSX10.4.7.
Commodore Sics D'fore
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Commodore Sics D'fore »

Why would you bother using the computer to dock at the link base, or any other asteroid base? They don't rotate or move.

I actually didn't think one could use the computers for anything but planet stations. Can you?

The only reason I finally got docking computers is to cut down the time it takes me to play a session; I use the fast dock function as soon as I am in station space, only because I got tired of how long it takes to dock.
I am not a number! I am a free man! ... Oh what the heck. You can call me Sics.
themacman
Competent
Competent

Post by themacman »

yes you can, I do it sometimes if I just don't want to take the time to aline (sp?) with the asteroid. You can't do a fast dock with an asteroid, but it doesn't matter that much.
B-räd

Mac OS X and Windows on the best machine, http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/