Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Fastest route to riches

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

jamida
Average
Average

Fastest route to riches

Post by jamida »

BTW, I played Elite originally on my own Apple II+ and a friend's C-64, so very happy to have found this.

I'm looking for any advice on how to "get rich quick" (but not cheat) in Oolite. I'm still using the Cobra Mk III, I have a military laser, advanced nav array and am mostly harmless. I have expanded cargo hold and 2 passenger holds. I'm playing with passenger transport and "speculating" on cargo along the way (what that Market Trader OXP).

I see I need more experience to get many passenger runs. What does it take to be more qualified? More kills? A LOT more kills? or just flying time? If it's KILLS should I stop, trade to a better battle worthy craft, chalk up some kills then buy back into the Cobra Mk III and continue from there?

Thanks in advance

Mike
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: Fastest route to riches

Post by phkb »

You will no doubt get a lot of different responses. But using a cobra mk III, I think your best bet is to double down on parcel and passenger contracts. Look for cross-chart contracts in particular, as they get the best returns (10-20K). Your reputation is based purely on how many contracts you complete successfully. I think if you fail to fulfill a contract your reputation will drop slightly, so it's best to keep your record clean in that regard. The more you do, the better your reputation, and the better contracts that are offered. Some players have reported having multiple 10k+ contracts on the go at one time.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Combat reputation will help you get passenger and parcel contracts - but almost all contracts can be achieved with maximum courier/taxi reputation and no combat reputation, and it's easier to get maximum reputation than it is to become Elite.

(Which is not to say that you won't have plenty of opportunities to get some combat rep in the course of ferrying passengers and cargo across the chart)
Imaginos
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Imaginos »

Hi jamida. Look out for Rock Hermits. If you dock in one of these there is a fair chance that you will be able to buy lightweight goods such as gold, platinum and gems at very cheap prices.
Malacandra
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Malacandra »

cim wrote:
(Which is not to say that you won't have plenty of opportunities to get some combat rep in the course of ferrying passengers and cargo across the chart)
And cim, as he well knows, hasn't said the half of it. Throw in parcels as well and you have plenty of Assassin magnets aboard as well as pirates and rebels after your cargo. Gets to be fun when two or three interested parties all turn up mob-handed at once! :lol:
"Sidewinder Precision Pro" and other Oolite fiction is now available for Amazon Kindle at a bargain price.

Sidewinder Precision Pro ||Claymore Mine ||The Russian Creed ||One Jump Ahead

All titles also available in paperback.
Layne
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Layne »

I'd have to say a milk run! Find two systems ridiculously neighborly with wildly different economies! Enjoy the tedium of running agricultural products from one to bring back technological products from the other! Repeat until your fingers seize up and your eyes are a blurred, rheumy mess!

Profit.
Reports of my death have been greatly underestimated.
jamida
Average
Average

Post by jamida »

The combat rep vs courier rep tip was helpful... I was not aware there was a difference. Unfortunately I missed one of my first deliveries as it took too long to cross the galaxy but that advanced navigation array sure does help!

The "you picked the wrong passenger" message at least tips me off to being a target, so I'm aware of that. What I'm not so sure of... since they say "drop 4 pieces of cargo and we'll let you go" if that works? Should I stock on up "crap cargo" just to drop it as a pirate distraction?

Rock hermits!!! Thanks for that tip... was gonna be another thread (may still be) do I just gotta speculate on asteroid fields and hope to get lucky or is there something more there?

Thanks
Layne
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Layne »

jamida wrote:
The "you picked the wrong passenger" message at least tips me off to being a target, so I'm aware of that. What I'm not so sure of... since they say "drop 4 pieces of cargo and we'll let you go" if that works? Should I stock on up "crap cargo" just to drop it as a pirate distraction?
That very much works, and is a popular option to buy off pirates. A few tons of low-grade cargo like food canisters will work, if promptly dropped. I believe the term is, 'pirate kibble'. An oxp alternative is allowed if you have Broadcast Comms installed; you can offer a straight bribe of credits, which is very helpful if your ship doesn't have room in the hold for the extra junk-cargo.
Reports of my death have been greatly underestimated.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

jamida wrote:
Rock hermits!!! Thanks for that tip... was gonna be another thread (may still be) do I just gotta speculate on asteroid fields and hope to get lucky or is there something more there?
Pretty much to start with ... though once you know what to look for you should be able to spot them from quite a distance.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

cim wrote:
Pretty much to start with ... though once you know what to look for you should be able to spot them from quite a distance.
<nods> On occasion, you can even follow a ship that's bound for a rock hermit.
Mind you, pickings at rock hermits ain't what they used to be. <grins wryly>
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Mazur
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Mazur »

jamida wrote:
The combat rep vs courier rep tip was helpful... I was not aware there was a difference. Unfortunately I missed one of my first deliveries as it took too long to cross the galaxy but that advanced navigation array sure does help!

There is: buy an Advanced Space Compass, and you'll be able to target their beacon from the witchpoint exit or anywhere.

As for get rich quick: my method is pick a long distance parcel/passenger with a good profit and plenty of spare delivery time on the quickest route, buy fur in low ag worlds, swap them for computers in high tech worlds, only refuel in in between systems, always looking ahead a few systems to make that decision, and always look for extra parcels going in the same direction, with enough spare time on the main mission, there is usually room for a minor detour along the way for them. One long haul early on, I maxed at 6 parcels at once beside a passenger, and I was still unknown enough to have limited choice. Postpone slow upgrades of your ship until you've next to nothing time-constrained on board, or you risk arriving late. So far, I've only ever missed one deadline, and that was because I forgot to dock at a destination main station along the route.
User Mazur, Commander Vatta, Hyperspace Delivery Boy.
Squeaky clean, utterly harmless, rank amateur.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Mazur wrote:
There is: buy an Advanced Space Compass, and you'll be able to target their beacon from the witchpoint exit or anywhere.
I think you need the RHL OXP (or something similar) for that.
Mazur
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Mazur »

Cody wrote:
Mazur wrote:
I think you need the RHL OXP (or something similar) for that.
Thanks. I would have left him stranded halfway there without your addendum. :oops:
I possibly added the RHL even before the ASC, so I never came up against the difference.
User Mazur, Commander Vatta, Hyperspace Delivery Boy.
Squeaky clean, utterly harmless, rank amateur.
jamida
Average
Average

Post by jamida »

PHPBB really needs to add a "like" button to posts.

THANKS for the tips (and clarifications).
Cody

Post by Cody »

jamida wrote:
PHPBB really needs to add a "like" button to posts.
The jefe, aegidian, wanted to add Likes way back, but the idea wasn't liked. <grins>