Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

New Member ... account creation difficulty

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

jamida
Average
Average

New Member ... account creation difficulty

Post by jamida »

New member here. I did not see a "care and feeding of this forum" board, so I'm posting this here, apologies in advance.

I created an account, didn't read the password requirements clearly and was 'blocked' on creating the account until my password complied. I made it comply and THEN was blocked saying "I can not use the supplied email address" or something similar. Does PHPBB have something against gmail addresses? (That's what I used.)

Note specifically it did NOT say this the first time through NOR did it say "this email address has already been used, please try another", NOR did it tell me my account name was already taken. So... any ideas? Is this a PHPBB bug?

Thanks

Mike
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: New Member ... account creation difficulty

Post by Wildeblood »

jamida wrote:
Note specifically it did NOT say this the first time through NOR did it say "this email address has already been used, please try another", NOR did it tell me my account name was already taken. So... any ideas? Is this a PHPBB bug?
Not a bug, a setting. Individual phpBB installations will reject certain email domains as not good enough, depending on the admin's decision.
"Would somebody stop that bloody music!"
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Hi jamida, and welcome.
Due to a spate of spambots trying to move in, gmail addresses ending with numbers were filtered for a while, although I thought this had been dropped now. Anyway, I'm glad you found your way through our defences.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Imaginos
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Imaginos »

Welcome aboard jamida.
Layne
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Layne »

Welcome to the boards, oh blocked and derided one, circumventor of many obstacles. You have clearly passed our cleverly disguised initiation test and may now be taught the secret Oolite handshake.

Hint: That's not your hand. I will say no more about it.

*eyebrow waggle*
Reports of my death have been greatly underestimated.
jamida
Average
Average

Post by jamida »

Thanks for the welcome everyone...
Smivs wrote:
Hi jamida, and welcome.
Due to a spate of spambots trying to move in, gmail addresses ending with numbers were filtered for a while, although I thought this had been dropped now. Anyway, I'm glad you found your way through our defences.
my gmail address does not end in a number... and it's a rather simple variant on my name. But that's mainly an FYI for those who care.
I'm wondering though since ya'll mentioned gmail spambots... if I can change my email address to my gmail account in my user control panel, or will that be blocked too?

Thanks!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

jamida wrote:
my gmail address does not end in a number... and it's a rather simple variant on my name. But that's mainly an FYI for those who care.
I'm wondering though since ya'll mentioned gmail spambots... if I can change my email address to my gmail account in my user control panel, or will that be blocked too?

Thanks!
It might simply be bad luck on your part that the gmail address you tried to use had already been used in the past by a spambot. If you PM me your preferred email address, I can whitelist it if necessary, and you should be able to change it.