Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Random Hits OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Re: Random Hits OXP

Post by Norby »

Imaginos wrote:
had installed "Random Hits Resources" but not "Random Hits" itself.
Spara can set the requirement of the base package in resources to prevent this.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Norby wrote:
Imaginos wrote:
had installed "Random Hits Resources" but not "Random Hits" itself.
Spara can set the requirement of the base package in resources to prevent this.
And done. Thanks for the heads up.
Imaginos
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Imaginos »

So, I've finally docked at a seedy space bar and taken on a Random Hits contract. I have traveled to the system (Edtixeen) where the mark is supposed to be taken down but there is no sign of them. Do the targets just appear randomly or should they always be there?
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

You should be able to find your mark on a direct route from witchpoint to the main station. Good hunting :) .
Imaginos
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Imaginos »

Is there a time limit for these bounty hunts?
Lone_Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lone_Wolf »

Not that i have noticed (and i've delayed doing some hits due to parcel contracts for 30+ jumps)

OXPs : My user page

Retired, reachable at [email protected]
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Imaginos wrote:
there is no sign of them. Do the targets just appear randomly or should they always be there?
They can sometimes be hard to spot.. I've occasionally had to travel back and forth between WP Beacon and Station 3-4 times or more before finding the mark. The 'lane' is wide enough that you won't always see them on the scanner, so it pays to be observant and keep looking around you as you fly.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Imaginos
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Imaginos »

Thanks for the info people. I'm currently at the other end of G2 doing a few parcel runs, so it may be quite some time before I go hunting again.
Lone_Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lone_Wolf »

(also posted in RSN thread)

I'm currently flying a Fer-de-Lance 3G+(t) and installed Random Hits Shipset to have opponents (pirates, assassins) that can match that ship.

Since randomshipnames leaves RH ship names intact to preserve RH mission flavour, this leads to a weird effect :

pirates with names like "Hired Goon" , "Trusty Sidekick" and such.

Could randomshipnames detect whether a RH ship is not part of a RH mission and change the name in that case only ?

spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Lone_Wolf wrote:
(also posted in RSN thread)

I'm currently flying a Fer-de-Lance 3G+(t) and installed Random Hits Shipset to have opponents (pirates, assassins) that can match that ship.

Since randomshipnames leaves RH ship names intact to preserve RH mission flavour, this leads to a weird effect :

pirates with names like "Hired Goon" , "Trusty Sidekick" and such.

Could randomshipnames detect whether a RH ship is not part of a RH mission and change the name in that case only ?
Ah. That's actually rh shipset that does that. It explicitly orders rsn not to name ships and names them instead. The idea was to inject some rh naming into the ooniverse. Granted that those Hire Goon etc are a bit out of place. I'll scratch my head a bit and think out a nice solution. At least I would like to see some Sheriff occasionally fly by. I'll get back.
Layne
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Layne »

I rather like the randomly generated mission sets for this OXP, and the extra atmosphere, but the resources package is pretty big at this point and my laptop is pretty small, space-wise. I wonder how hard it would be to create a 'core set only' version of this that doesn't require any extra textures or resources, but uses only the native Oolite ship-set and rock hermits for the space bar. Is this something easily done, or is the resource package too deeply integrated into the main scripting for this OXP?
Reports of my death have been greatly underestimated.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Layne wrote:
the resources package is pretty big at this point and my laptop is pretty small, space-wise.
Sounds to me like it's time to put a bigger hard drive in it.. A while back I replaced the very crowded 120GB drive in my laptop with a 750GB drive for less than AU$70. Now it runs Mint 17.2, Win7, XP, and two other flavours of Linux, and still has loads of room to spare.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Lone_Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lone_Wolf »

spara wrote:
Ah. That's actually rh shipset that does that. It explicitly orders rsn not to name ships and names them instead. The idea was to inject some rh naming into the ooniverse. Granted that those Hire Goon etc are a bit out of place. I'll scratch my head a bit and think out a nice solution. At least I would like to see some Sheriff occasionally fly by. I'll get back.
I've looked into the RH shipset shipdata.plist and now understand why i see so many pirate ships from RH.

You've given every ship a chance of 0.05 to have a specific role, but there are lots of ships in RH shipset.

a few examples :

Code: Select all

$ grep -c pirate-medium-fighter shipdata.plist 
$ grep -c pirate shipdata.plist 
$ grep -c trader shipdata.plist
$ grep -c hunter-medium shipdata.plist

I suggest you reduce the role-weight to 0.01 or lower, then select some ship/role combination you'd prefer to see a bit more often.

spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Lone_Wolf wrote:
spara wrote:
I've looked into the RH shipset shipdata.plist and now understand why i see so many pirate ships from RH.

You've given every ship a chance of 0.05 to have a specific role, but there are lots of ships in RH shipset.

a few examples :

Code: Select all

$ grep -c pirate-medium-fighter shipdata.plist 
$ grep -c pirate shipdata.plist 
$ grep -c trader shipdata.plist
$ grep -c hunter-medium shipdata.plist

I suggest you reduce the role-weight to 0.01 or lower, then select some ship/role combination you'd prefer to see a bit more often.
Grepping pirate includes all pirate roles, but granted, the probabilities could be lower. I'll put that on my todo. With the naming thing reported earlier :mrgreen: . But there's something I'm going to do first and it will affect these...

Now that Staer9 shipset is available from the manager, I'm going to finish what I started quite some time ago and cut it out of the RH OXP to bring the package size down. Ships from the Staer9 shipset will be used, if it is installed. It's the same thing with sb-faves that I cut out earlier. And that very likely means merging resources back to the main oxp too. Individual ships will stay in the package, but these multi ship packages will be like_shipped.
Layne
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Layne »

spara wrote:
Now that Staer9 shipset is available from the manager, I'm going to finish what I started quite some time ago and cut it out of the RH OXP to bring the package size down. Ships from the Staer9 shipset will be used, if it is installed. It's the same thing with sb-faves that I cut out earlier. And that very likely means merging resources back to the main oxp too. Individual ships will stay in the package, but these multi ship packages will be like_shipped.

That sounds pretty close to what I was hoping for; making RH base the ship set more on what the player has installed and not adding a mess of ships you don't want to see into your game. Keep the resource package to the minimum and nab ships from installed OXPs and the core game.
Reports of my death have been greatly underestimated.