Re: Elite: Dangerous - and the return

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Bugbear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Elite: Dangerous - and other stuff!

Post by Bugbear »

Just a quick post - I think I've found a system name that has arguably made it under the radar of the list of offensive words.

My current base of operations is the dubiously named: Kochole. In the interests of keeping this a family site, I won't labour my pronounciation.

=====

And to flesh out this post, I would love an internally consistent explanation for why someone with a bounty on their heads would show up at any of the resource extraction sites - where there will always be any number of system security vessels and bounty hunters.

Even if (as a wanted commander) you could threaten another ship into dropping cargo, how the hell are you going to have time to pick it up when you have half a dozen other ships pounding lasers into your hull...

My guilty pleasure - it's fun piloting a Cobra with gimballed multi cannons and beam lasers, picking on the outnumbered outlaws...
Commander Bugbear
Cruising chart 5 in a Boa Class Criuser: Quantum Pelican I
Vigilante, trader, gems and precious metals hoarder.
Black Monks bothering performed at no extra charge.
Ranthe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Paraparaumu, New Zealand (TL 8, Rich Agricultural, Multi-Government)

Post by Ranthe »

Cody wrote:
More good words: Utopian Enforcer Cannon!
... which would be a good name for a Zaonceian rock band :-)
Commander Ranthe: Flying the Anaconda-class transport Atomic Annie through Galaxy 2.
Combat Ranking: Dangerous
"Big ships take more booty on your interstellar flights..."
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

Drew has left Elite dangerous.
I have great respect for Drew and hope he is successful in his other projects.
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Yes, I received that e-mail too. Few men have done more to further this small corner of the universe to a wider audience than master D.

Although I have been discussing literary reflections with him and there may yet be the odd surprise coming up in the near future.

Good science fiction never truly dies, they echo in the ether.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On the moon Thought, orbiting the planet Ignorance.

Post by Redspear »

Bugbear wrote:
Just a quick post - I think I've found a system name that has arguably made it under the radar of the list of offensive words.

My current base of operations is the dubiously named: Kochole. In the interests of keeping this a family site, I won't labour my pronounciation.
Read your post, then at my next chance to load up a save-game, found my commander's destination already set to this place...

Childish sniggering ensued :lol:
Yah-Ta-Hey wrote:
Good luck to him, whatever he's up to.

I still haven't read his oolite series but, according to the esteem he's held in around this place, I really should...
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Re: Drew. Yes, I got that email too. Sorry to see him go, but I hope he'll poke his nose in the Oolite boards from time to time. The place where it all started.

Re: ED Subs vs Paid Upgrades. Frontier have always said that there would be paid upgrades. One of the bonuses for Kickstarter pledgers was that all future updates would be free. That includes the big ones.

They get their money at the moment from investors and from game sales. Not just Elite, remember - they're bringing out World of Coasters soon. As old-time Eliteers we're the segment of the gaming community that helped fund the development and release of ED. They sold the game to us. They can't sell it to us again. They need to cater for other audiences that might have an interest in the game, so they have to populate it with content that will appeal to that sector. Space Trading is one aspect of a large, growing universe. Exploration, assasinations, bounty hunting and all the other original Elite content is in there and has attracted that audience. Now they need to expand and populate other areas of the galaxy. Powerplay is one thing. CQC is another. Planetary landings will be another. Introducing a first-person element is yet another. Not everyone will like every addition. I hate powerplay, for example, and I can't say I like the concept of CQC but then, as is often said, no-one is forcing this stuff on me. I can just click "SOLO" or "PRIVATE GROUP" and get away from the CQC-trained wolf-packs if that's what I want to do.

I've had a year of Elite the way I wanted it. Now it's time for other markets to get some love. Frontier will come back to us and add content that will sell the game. I just hope they put something interesting in for explorers because GOD it's boring out here in the sticks.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

After months of near-total silence from FD, now they mount some kind of community charm offensive - which makes me feel slightly sick!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Do you have links? I would like to see this first hand but have little wish to trawl.
Cody

Post by Cody »

I'm sorry, amigo, but I really ain't got the will anymore - the whole thing is pissing me off right-royally, and I'm probably on my way out.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Not surprising, I'll just follow the smoke and vultures...... :D
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Can anyone do a reasonably neutral write-up of Elite Dangerous (a broad overview of what the game is like, and in particular the community and any fanfic or other fan-works associated with it) for fanlore.org? I've written up Elite and Oolite for them, but I don't really want to get into online gaming so I'm not the person to write this. You can find the articles I wrote here:

http://fanlore.org/wiki/Elite
http://fanlore.org/wiki/Oolite

I've created a stub for an Elite: Dangerous page, but it's basically saying "An online game derived from the earlier Elite" and not much more. Can anyone flesh it out a little?

http://fanlore.org/wiki/Elite:_Dangerous
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

ffutures wrote:
I've created a stub for an Elite: Dangerous page, but it's basically saying "An online game derived from the earlier Elite" and not much more. Can anyone flesh it out a little?
Derived from Frontier would be closer to the truth.. :wink:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Yah-Ta-Hey wrote:
Ah... I'm still floating about. Downloaded Oolite for the first time in a while last week and had to spend an hour figuring out how it had all changed. This new OXP downloading malarky... I mean it's almost civilised!

ED? In short... had my fun, time for other things. FD are playing rather 'fast and loose' with the lore... even their own lore... and as for PowerPlay... as far as I'm concerned it just isn't Elite. Its introduction rather trashed my sequel ideas and FD don't seem to keen on extending any further licenses, or letting the authors help them out with 'real' in-game content. Their call.

I've had a blast, make no mistake, but I'm quitting whilst I'm ahead, rather than try to keep it all going. Oolite was the foundation stone (and clearly truer to 'Elite' than anything else). I managed to shoe-horn a lot of Oolite references into Elite:Reclamation of which I'm sneakily proud. Oolite was baked firmly into the canon - nothing less than we deserved, short of an official acknowledgement.

Thanks to everyone across the years who have supported me. Status Quo is now 9 years old... which is simply frightening. I'm working on more SF - so plenty more stuff to come from my keyboard.

Right on, Commanders!

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

from Jenner(mod) at ED: The reason the first thread was closed is that Drew said himself he's departed it. There's no point in keeping it open.

this tidbit is why I said what I said. I imagined that you would still lurk just to check in on how things are going.

I read
your blog and am awaiting your new series that is coming out... write on Commander, keep the creative juices flowing.
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Diziet Sma wrote:
ffutures wrote:
Derived from Frontier would be closer to the truth.. :wink:
OK thanks, I'll change that.