Split: Sound Effects

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

staggerlee
Competent
Competent

Re: Split: Sound Effects

Post by staggerlee »

Quick example.

1. normal laser (several bursts)
https://clyp.it/lmeog5ih

2. slightly modulated variations (several bursts)
https://clyp.it/qjyw11jl
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Nice, staggerlee .-)

One thing though. If Oolite starts using multiple sounds for events it will get even more costly for lower end systems. If I recall it right SDL supports DSP (effects). This could be an option via game settings for faster machines...
staggerlee
Competent
Competent

Post by staggerlee »

The system hit of multiple sounds can go two ways:

1. If it uses active DSP effects, there will be a processor cost, but the game file will remain the same size
2. If it uses a pre-recorded bank of new sounds, there should be zero-to-minuscule processor cost, but the game file size will grow (if each sound is about 200kb, and we introduce about 100 variations, then that will add up to an extra 20mb).

I favour the latter, as it's cleaner and file size isn't a massive issue for most people. I think if the code develops to allow it, then the extra sounds themselves might be best delivered as optional add-ons — best of both worlds.

For true random fidelity and best sounds, however, you'd go with dsp effects ideally. But that's not really Oolite's style. I favour keeping it basic as possible while adding a bit of character.
streb2001
Competent
Competent

Post by streb2001 »

I have been working on an engine sound replacement addon for my own benefit but I wondered if anyone else might find it useful. It has a main engine sound that varies in volume with throttle setting (I also couldn't think of a way of varying the pitch), an experimental injector whine and an attempt at a kind of sci-fi warp coil kind of hum for the torus drive. I also beefed up the stock laser sound by adding a subtle but highly satisfying thud to the laserhit ogg sound. Ignore if irrelevant... 8)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/874 ... eSound.oxz

ps. This works as an OXZ on my install but I guessed the manifest entries. Unpack to OXP if it doesn't load.
Rustem
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Rustem »

Found an old request:
could the contents of the customsounds.plist keys be made visible to JS and read/write so a script could temporarily switch sound files to either a dummy silent sound file
Its was ever released or not?

For a case:

Code: Select all

this.viewDirectionChanged = function(viewString) {
    	someFunction("[player-direct-hit]") = this.$direct_hit_sound;
    	someFunction("[player-laser-miss]") = this.$laser_miss_sound; 	
}
The variable [player-direct-hit] is read only?
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Re sounds being useful - a good example here is the add-on missile_beep OXP, where the speed of the beeps increases as missiles get closer.
Hemlock
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Hemlock »

Personally, I think the sounds of the comms links when one is in the Station Aegis is wonderful. I should like to see those sounds expanded a little bit. And for some reason those comms sounds which accompany one at the main station do not seem to be there at the extra stations from extra planets - can't remember what oxp that is.

H
Commander Hemlock
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Hemlock wrote:
Personally, I think the sounds of the comms links when one is in the Station Aegis is wonderful.
Are you using BGS? I think the aegis sounds are part of that OXP, not the core game.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Hemlock wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:55 pm
I should like to see those sounds expanded a little bit. And for some reason those comms sounds which accompany one at the main station do not seem to be there at the extra stations from extra planets - can't remember what oxp that is.
I'll add an option for secondary stations via script_info key and a user option to turn it on/off.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

streb2001 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:05 pm
I have been working on an engine sound replacement addon for my own benefit but I wondered if anyone else might find it useful. It has a main engine sound that varies in volume with throttle setting (I also couldn't think of a way of varying the pitch), an experimental injector whine and an attempt at a kind of sci-fi warp coil kind of hum for the torus drive. I also beefed up the stock laser sound by adding a subtle but highly satisfying thud to the laserhit ogg sound. Ignore if irrelevant... 8)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/874 ... eSound.oxz

ps. This works as an OXZ on my install but I guessed the manifest entries. Unpack to OXP if it doesn't load.
Link seems broken.

Does anyone have a copy of this?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?