Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Oolite for Android please

Information, contacts and source code for ports to Linux, Windows, etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Greyth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Oolite for Android please

Post by Greyth »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Greyth wrote:
BUT... Giles (Aegidian) wants to convert Oolite to work on the Raspberry Pi
I'm not normally a religious person but if the Giles does do that then I will happily join the Black Monks, wear my pants on my head and sit in a bowl of cold porridge during compline.
You do realise we'll insist on photos? :mrgreen:
:shock: ... Perhaps it will catch on. Maybe I should start a website? 'Quakers get their oats'?
Oolite 1.76
Debian 6 : Ubuntu 12.04
NVidia 6200 : Radeon/AMD thang
Abit AN7 : Packard Bell TJ74
bobalicious
Poor
Poor

Post by bobalicious »

For tablet lovers, it's worth checking out Beebdroid - it comes with Elite.

On my Nexus 10 with a bluetooth keyboard it's an absolute dream (without a keyboard it's hardly worth installing).

However, I'd still like to put my vote in for an Android tablet version of Oolite as and when the foundation library is available - tube journeys would fly by...
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

Apparently with the new nVidia gaming tablet (Android) you will be able to run Elite: Dangerous... so anything is possible.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Is that the nVidia Shield? I was reading about that earlier.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

Cody wrote:
Is that the nVidia Shield? I was reading about that earlier.
Yes, although there seems to be problems with it's streaming capabilities.
Stardust
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Stardust »

Hi guys,

sorry it took so long :), but coming August, I am going to release Alite: A heavily Oolite inspired game for Android. It uses several of the original ships and Griff has helped with modeling high-resolution ships for the intro, too... Also, everyone here on the forums has been a great help in the past, so thanks for all the support :)

Alite will (of course!) be completely free and hopefully playable on most Android devices (it needs minimum Android 3.0). For now, you can preview the website (http://alite.mobi), which is _heavily_ under construction (in fact, there's almost nothing to see there, yet ;)).

For those of you very eager to get going, I am still looking for some testers. So, if you have an Android device ready, and currently about 800MB (!) storage space available on that device, please drop me a line (PM), and I'll tell you what you can do to download the test version. Note that I am hoping to cut down the 800MB requirement to something around 350MB -- the vast space is currently needed, because I haven't figured out a way to play videos/sounds directly from a zip file (without unpacking them first). (This is supposed to work on Android, but it doesn't).

Speaking of technical details: I am also going to release the source code of Alite, but I'd like to give the players a chance to find some surprises, first :). So, the plan is to release the source in time for Christmas :). And btw: I hope I'll be able to include some basic OXP support as well (don't get your hopes up too much, but you should at least be able to use replacement ships from OXPs _if_ they don't use shaders :))

Once again: Thanks everybody!! Hope you enjoy Alite on your mobile devices...

Philipp
Day
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Day »

Very interesting news :-)

Is only the Universe based on Oolite, or the internal mechanics too ?
I thought about doing a java port of Oolite, using jspidermonkey, mainly to have a more easily maintainable version, but when I did a cost assessment, well... It wouldn't be a one-man project!
Stardust
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Stardust »

Well, it depends how far you'd interpret "internal mechanics" :). If you consider a bare Oolite, without any OXP, and start trading, exploring, and shooting enemy ships, then you could say Alite is pretty much exactly that -- with some "hidden features" that come as a surprise.
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Looking forward to Alite... :)
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
Stardust
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Stardust »

Cool! :) You shouldn't have to wait too long, now...

I should add that Alite is inspired by Oolite, but since my Objective-C is pretty lousy, I didn't look too closely at the code... :)
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Any chance of an iPad version? (ducks hastily)
Stardust
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Stardust »

:rofl: Not from me, sorry...
Commander_X
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander_X »

Haha, nice cinematic! Even nicer the "apropos"of the story line -- bringing back memories!
Stardust
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Stardust »

Good catch, Commander_X, the intro was indeed based on MW2 :). When I first saw the MW2 intro back in -- umm... when?? 199x?? -- I thought that I want to make a game like this... Well. 20-25 years later the intro does not quite have this 'wow'-effect anymore, but it's still good.

The intro for Alite was done (following my ideas) by James Scott (http://jscottmedia.com). Full credits for the voice actors will follow in the game :)

If you haven't found it, yet: http://alite.mobi/media
moidebe
Harmless
Harmless

Post by moidebe »

Stardust wrote:
Hi guys,

For those of you very eager to get going, I am still looking for some testers. So, if you have an Android device ready, and currently about 800MB (!) storage space available on that device, please drop me a line (PM), and I'll tell you what you can do to download the test version. Note that I am hoping to cut down the 800MB requirement to something around 350MB -- the vast space is currently needed, because I haven't figured out a way to play videos/sounds directly from a zip file (without unpacking them first). (This is supposed to work on Android, but it doesn't).

Philipp
Hi Stardust,

I joined the forum just to ask if I could get early access to Alite? (don't know if I can wait the 18 days!). I'm so new to the forum I can't even PM you!
I've loved playing oolite in the past and now finding out that a similar game is coming out for my Android devices, I'm sooo excited!
Hope to hear from you and good luck with Alite.

Regards,
Moidebd