Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Friendly Fire

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

BobSongs
Competent
Competent

Friendly Fire

Post by BobSongs »

(I hope this isn't a repeat of an earlier request. I haven't gone through all the postings but some seem very interesting and others seem like they're partly implemented.)

Friendly Fire
On occasion one finds one's self in a furious battle involving pirates, offenders and fugitives shooting at police vipers, some friendlies and one's self. More than once I've had the "joy" of firing a steady beam at an enemy ship only to have a viper get in the way of the deadly rays from my military laser. Friendly fire that was perceived by all the GalCops immediately as a move on my part to join "the Dark Side". ;)

I believe it was in Privateer or Wing Commander one could hit a "friendly" in the heat of battle and get a spoken "warning" like: "Watch your aim!"

Now: obviously the first thing a pilot must do is be careful. Granted. But ships are equipped with shields and can handle a stray shot. What if one burst or two of friendly fire, in the heat of battle, did not appear immediately to the law enforcement as definite hostility. This would depend too on whether that pilot in question has a "clean" status.

I'd like to hear some pros/cons about this one.

(Fun game, by the way).
Odo987
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Odo987 »

Note that the computer players also commit friendly fire incidents, as pictured in this thread:
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=1859
But I don't remember that Viper being blown out of the sky.
Attacking a Navigational Beacon is illegal. Police are on their way.
Wiggy
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Wiggy »

I rather like the fact that a stray shot can land you in hot water -- it's one of the great qualities of Oolite.

It's equally nice that you can lure NPCs to take a pot shot at you and miss, hitting that Behemoth you're flying right next to.
You came in that? You're braver than I thought!
BobSongs
Competent
Competent

Post by BobSongs »

Odo987 wrote:
Note that the computer players also commit friendly fire incidents, as pictured in this thread:
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=1859
But I don't remember that Viper being blown out of the sky.
It's funny; I started a new game and figured I'd just attack the station and let the police blow me up; then I'd reload what I wanted. I took a potshot at the station and 4 police vipers started firing at me. But I was close to the station and far from them. The vipers were hitting the station over and over again as they tried to get their aim right. They actually hit the station more times than I did. ;)

Well. It was just a thought. I figured it would add to the realism of the game. Which is why I suggested it.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

It’s kinda fun to set the vipers killing each other… or the military station killing the vipers for you.