Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Ever since v1.82

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

Imaginos
Deadly
Deadly

Ever since v1.82

Post by Imaginos »

It may be a coincidence but ever since installing v1.82 I've been getting random quitting. No crash report or error message... Oolite just stops working.

Has anyone else had a similar experience or is it more likely that there is something else wrong with my PC?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Ever since v1.82

Post by another_commander »

Please provide system info and a Latest.log after launching Oolite with Shift down. Also, is there any stderr.txt file left behind? If so, can you please post its contents too?
Imaginos
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Imaginos »

I'm away from home at the moment and my memory ain't that good these days so I'll have to get back to you with my spec at a later date.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

OK, while waiting for the full specs, maybe you can tell me already this: Is it an NVidia card you have?
Imaginos
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Imaginos »

I'm back home now. Here is my humble set up;

Processor: AMD Athlon 7750 Dual Core 2.70Ghz
RAM: 4GB
32-bit O.S.
Graphics card: ATI Radeon HD4350
and I have the misfortune of running Windows Vista Home Premium (Service pack 2)
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Not exactly what I was hoping to see, unfortunately. At this point, I think we'll need to see a log after Shift-starting the game. Also, a few additional questions:
- Do the crashes happen if all OXPs are removed?
- If they don't happen without OXPs, any chance of finding out which OXP is the culprit?
- Do the crashes happen when doing something specific or are they completely random?
- If you go back to 1.80, do you still get crashes?
- Some antivirus programs are very aggressive against apps, if they think that they are trying to do something to the system. What AV is running? If you disable it temporarily for testing purposes, does Oolite still have problems for you?
- Traditionally, the -nosplash switch has been solving Radeon problems for years. I don't think it is related here, but maybe see if launching Oolite with the -nosplash parameter helps?
- Is there any file named stderr.txt remaining after the crash? What are its contents?
- Is there a way to check if the system is building up temperature on the CPU or the graphics card?

On NVidia cards, we know that the Threaded Optimization setting must be disabled for Oolite, or there is a chance it might cause problems, including frequent crashes. I don't know if the Radeon HD4350 drivers have a similar option, but if they do, please try to disable it and see if things get better.
Imaginos
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Imaginos »

I've noticed that the crash seems to occur when I press the button too rapidly whilst buying or selling goods. Since slowing down my digits I have not encountered any more crashes.
jh145
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by jh145 »

The button?! You have only one?!

Seriously: what's the recipe to reproduce the bug?