[RELEASE] Hyperspace Hangar OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Ramen
Deadly
Deadly

Re: [RELEASE] Hyperspace Hangar OXP

Post by Ramen »

Does anyone want me to/has anyone already come up with better story justification for the hangar? I personally think it needs work.
That is not my desk.
I find this lack of milk... disturbing.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

The hangar need some space so I think not all stations provide this service. Probably stations with shipyard only.

Code: Select all

if( player.ship.docked && player.ship.dockedStation.hasShipyard )
Day
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Day »

Ramen wrote:
Does anyone want me to/has anyone already come up with better story justification for the hangar? I personally think it needs work.
I think it would be a very good idea.

Perhaps you could put and then update the story in the first post of the thread? There are currently 7 pages, I think it would slow the discussion if people had to look for the bits of story in the whole thread.
Ramen
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Ramen »

It has been done.
That is not my desk.
Ramen
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Ramen »

Norby wrote:
The hangar need some space so I think not all stations provide this service. Probably stations with shipyard only.

Code: Select all

if( player.ship.docked && player.ship.dockedStation.hasShipyard )
This has been added in version 1.10.1 available from http://wiki.alioth.net/img_auth.php/d/d ... 1.10.1.oxz or the expansion manager.
That is not my desk.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Norby »

Ramen wrote:
NAME: Norby-Ramen Quirium Accuracy Drive
Thanks for the immortalization. :)
Day
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Day »

I liked that explanation.

Ok, my three cents:

- to minimize the cost of transport, ships are transported only when asked, and not each time the pilot jumps in a new system; two modes are provided: quickest, and lowest use of fuel (similar to the galactic map), (hehehehehehe... sorry bad case of maniacal laugh),

- to further minimize the cost of transport, ships may be transported in bulk; the cost of fuel is lowered, but the time is augmented, as sometimes some stations wait for some ships to arrive before sending them with already ready ships,

- if this may transport ships, then it may transport equipments too; we need a reason why each system isn't suddenly tech level 15. And well, maybe it could be nethertheless used in some other handwavium. "- Here is Raxxla. An evolved version of the Norby-Ramen Quirium Accuracy Drive. - The WHAT? - Forget that. It's shiny, isn't it?"
Ramen
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Ramen »

Norby wrote:
Ramen wrote:
NAME: Norby-Ramen Quirium Accuracy Drive
Thanks for the immortalization. :)
You're welcome. :wink:
Day wrote:
I liked that explanation.
Thanks!
Day wrote:
Ok, my three cents:
Wait what?
Day wrote:
- to minimize the cost of transport, ships are transported only when asked, and not each time the pilot jumps in a new system; two modes are provided: quickest, and lowest use of fuel (similar to the galactic map), (hehehehehehe... sorry bad case of maniacal laugh),
- to further minimize the cost of transport, ships may be transported in bulk; the cost of fuel is lowered, but the time is augmented, as sometimes some stations wait for some ships to arrive before sending them with already ready ships,
Rammind:"NOOOO! MORE WORK! DO NOT WANT!!!!" Makes sense. (Because the creation of the phrase "Norbmind" wasn't bad enough.)
Day wrote:
- if this may transport ships, then it may transport equipments too; we need a reason why each system isn't suddenly tech level 15. And well, maybe it could be nethertheless used in some other handwavium. "- Here is Raxxla. An evolved version of the Norby-Ramen Quirium Accuracy Drive. - The WHAT? - Forget that. It's shiny, isn't it?"
The Law of Unintended Consequences continues to plague me!
Explanation/B.S. I just came up with: the trip through this more advanced witchspace route is also somewhat damaging to anything sent through it. Ships will survive because of their shields, but equipment will not survive... Except that raises the question of why the ships cannot carry equipment and why they cannot be disassembled on the other side. It also raises the question of why you can't just jump from station to station directly. I'm out of ideas. Could someone help me out here? I'm an OXP-programmer, not a writer! :)
That is not my desk.
Ramen
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Ramen »

Day wrote:
we need a reason why each system isn't suddenly tech level 15.

Actually, this does give me an idea. What if the hangar was restricted to high tech level systems? It would certainly make sense, as the Q.A.D. sounds a bit too advanced for a TL 1 anarchy filled to the brim with pirates, thargoids, and edible poet trafficking. Of course, it should probably be available on stations such as seedy space bars, which usually have higher tech level equipment than the system they are in. It would help the story expanation. It would also add some challenge and thought into using the hangar, as yes, you can have multiple ships, but if you switch to your adder, you have to be careful where you are. I also think that the mission could perhaps, instead of mitigating the fee, open up hangars in lower tech systems. Also, it might be the case that you guys don't want this. If so, tell me. It might also be the case that this isn't possible. If so, tell me.
That is not my desk.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Norby »

Day wrote:
to minimize the cost of transport
The current cost of a transport is 0. You pay for storage spaces only, once for each slot when you increase your fleet but you can change the ships in the storage slots without any cost.

Transporting without equipments is not a good idea imho. A ship is built up by the player using a long time, so if get back the stock version only then can feel a serious loss and not a real storage.

But if there is a chance to some equipment damages when a ship is transported then this can be the cost of the transportation.

There is a player.ship.takeInternalDamage() which can do this job, including a possible service level reduction (good idea) and cargo damage (need some explanation about accidents or thiefs during cargo transshipment). Calling once is a bit few due to there is 1/4 chance to do nothing so twice is better imho.

Should not be any damage if the ship is just now stored in this station or retrieved second time within the same station (set a flag for the ship when apply a damage to prevent a second damage and clear the flags at launch).
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Norby »

Ramen wrote:
Q.A.D. sounds a bit too advanced for a TL 1 anarchy
You can decide to use any restrictions (you are the author), just if there is any then you must apply not only for the interface but when buy a ship also.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On the moon Thought, orbiting the planet Ignorance.

Post by Redspear »

Really need to catch up with this thread but I'd just like to agree heartily with this:
Norby wrote:
Transporting without equipments is not a good idea imho. A ship is built up by the player using a long time, so if get back the stock version only then can feel a serious loss and not a real storage.

But if there is a chance to some equipment damages when a ship is transported then this can be the cost of the transportation.
Ramen
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Ramen »

Norby wrote:
Ramen wrote:
Q.A.D. sounds a bit too advanced for a TL 1 anarchy
You can decide to use any restrictions (you are the author), just if there is any then you must apply not only for the interface but when buy a ship also.
I meant technical restrictions, because I haven't looked into the code aspect quite yet: "Look, up there in the sky!" "What are you talking about? I don't see anything." - Tune in next time for the continuing adventures of Laziness Man, Defender of the computer chair! :wink:
That is not my desk.
Day
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Day »

Ramen wrote:
Rammind:"NOOOO! MORE WORK! DO NOT WANT!!!!" Makes sense. (Because the creation of the phrase "Norbmind" wasn't bad enough.)
Perhaps you want to switch to SoupMind? The global meaning would be preserved, and a nice hint of groupness would be introduced.
I kind of disagree here.

If a company sells a service which implies such a risk, then the customers, and some of them quite important and not taking no for an answer, will demand the company fix those risks asap.
The period of time during which such a problem appears with a relatively high frequency, let's say 1%, would be quite short. And a clerk would be here at each transport to make the customer sign that everything was delivered in good condition.

1% frequency is still quite high from the point of view of the company, and a busy clerk would shriek at its company on the behalf of the customers with such a frequency.
And then, concurrent companies would have a market to take, when proposing a transporter technology with a lesser risk.
And a frequency that the company couldn't tolerate, let's say 1/1000th, is almost invisible from the individual player/pilot view point.

Hmm, prototypes with high risk frequency (let's say 25%) could have been sold once they're useless and be found in anarchy systems, in pirates strongholds. Having pirated, haha, the trannsport network, it could allow them a strategic advantage explaining their continued existence.
Ramen
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Ramen »

Day wrote:
Ramen wrote:
Perhaps you want to switch to SoupMind? The global meaning would be preserved, and a nice hint of groupness would be introduced.
Yeah, I do agree that "Rammind" sounds weird... Wait! I had the perfect realization! SOUPNOODLE! *please don't kill me* T-T
Day wrote:

Hmm, prototypes with high risk frequency (let's say 25%) could have been sold once they're useless and be found in anarchy systems, in pirates strongholds. Having pirated, haha, the trannsport network, it could allow them a strategic advantage explaining their continued existence.
This is a pretty good idea, actually. It allows for the lower TL systems to have the Hangar, but at a significant disadvantage compared to, say Tezaeded (A TL 15 Rich Industrial world in G2, the first Human Colonial colony, for those who are out of the loop.)
That is not my desk.