Secondary markets

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Re: Secondary markets

Post by Norby »

spara wrote:
a chart should have about 10 systems with SuperHubs
Too few imho, I think 50 would be ideal, which mean in every 5. system.

Another idea: place the Hub to another planet than the main. This make some interest for additional planets if Stations for Extra Planets is not installed, at least in every 5. system. Moreover if no additional planets then the Hub can "create" a secondary planet for himself to make a real secondary market. The prices can be almost the same but a small difference maybe worth a check after jump that which direction is better for the actual cargo: the main planet or the secondary, so some commodity should be cheaper here and others there randomly.

So could be 10 Hubs near the main planets in a galaxy and 40 more farther away at secondary planets which are less commonly visited.

To make visually less common I think to create some variants in texture color and subentities.

Otherwise we will need design more stations with huge dock and market to get big secondary markets.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

So could be 10 Hubs near the main planets in a galaxy and 40 more farther away at secondary planets which are less commonly visited.
For

Well that could be but for the main planets I stay with 10 hubs max per galaxy. I do want to keep Oolite a little bit tidy ;).

@Norby:
If you want to create some Superhubs with different colors for Extra planets then go ahead. As long as they are in a separate OXP. For example in Stations for extra planets. I have no extra planets installed on my system. So I would want to keep the main Superhub.oxp at 10 per Galaxy.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

<nods> Less is more! I had to thin-out my copy of Torus stations 'cos there were too many of them!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

pagroove wrote:
- A larger market would benefit the players with larger capacity ships so it should be worth trying.
I'll start with this, it's very straight forward to do.
pagroove wrote:
- Those missions seem like a good idea
Let's get back to these later. They need to be thought out properly and if found worth it then coded and tested etc. I'll keep thinking.
pagroove wrote:
- I want to keep max 10 Superhubs per Galaxy otherwise they are appearing at too many places.
Your the boss here. I'll make some more head scratching about the distribution and propose something.
pagroove wrote:
- As Superhub are also sience and tech centers. Could missions also ask you from picking up multiple shipment which are then recombined in the SuperHub?
Or could we perhaps borrow something from Bloomberg Markets OXP so that randomly a random SuperHub requires a vast amount of random commodities and are willing to pay premium prices? There could also be some side products for sale with throwaway prices. We could think out some combinations and add some flavor to the game via Snoopers. Like "SuperHub at location A is producing B and is paying premium prices for C and D. As a side effect huge quantities of E are being produced and thrown out at ridiculous prices. Production will last till F. Hurry up and help them out!" And yes, someone with proper writing skills would be needed here :lol: . Also some nice jargOOn generator is needed.
pagroove wrote:
- Should a Superhub be able to craft some items by combining one or more market items? It would be nice if there is a since center where you can develop your own items. But this would be ( I think) difficult to implement.
What an interesting idea! We could offer some higher TL equipment at a lower TL system for a combination of commodities. Something like "A * Machinery + B * Computers + C * Alloys + D * Platinum = Scanner Targeting Enhancement". Some thought out formulas would be needed for this.
pagroove wrote:
Anyway good ideas. and lets continue this discussion in the Superhub thread as this is about all secondary markets :).
Agreed. Moderator, could posts from https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f= ... 30#p238292 onwards be moved to the SuperHub thread, https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6988, please?