BGS - The BackgroundSet

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Day
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: BGS - The BackgroundSet

Post by Day »

Norby wrote:
the effect can depend on the distance of the jump to show different distorsions in various speeds caused by the nonlinear distance vs. travel time formula.
I like that, especially it it is noticeable.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

I like Norby's idea of varying jump effects, too.

Where do I put those new effects for testing? I might have some time tomorrow...
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Commander_X wrote:
One last question: would it be hard to replace the black rectangle of death of the docking transition in BGS with the (say) manifest image background?
Sure, it's possible, but I think it would be better to add a second visual effect. The same shader is used for docking and launching (with only a time offset) so you'd need to handle this as well. Or separate them - then it's just another texture lookup replacing the line with discard.
Zireael wrote:
Where do I put those new effects for testing? I might have some time tomorrow...
If you are using the OXZ, then you only need to place these files in the AddOns folder, e.g. in My.oxp\shaders and My.oxp\textures. If you want the more colorful settings you'll need to change .bgsHyperControl in BGS-M.js though. The released script only uses 0,0 1,0 or 0,1 atm.
Commander_X
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander_X »

Svengali wrote:
Sure, it's possible, but I think it would be better to add a second visual effect. The same shader is used for docking and launching (with only a time offset) so you'd need to handle this as well. Or separate them - then it's just another texture lookup replacing the line with discard.
Thank you, the hint with discard helped!
For the record:
- it's quite easy to handle docking/launching cases, as the time offset is an int to signal the launching (thus 0 when docking).
- these are the trivial changes (for BGS-A_1.10.9) if anyone is curious enough to see how it maps:
1. in effectdata.plist:
a. add a

Code: Select all

,{name="../Images/bgs-i_statusdocked.png"; repeat_s = false; repeat_t = false;}
(notice the comma, it's not a mistake) line in the [b]textures = {...}[/b] section for [b]bgs_docking[/b] effect
b. insert a

bgImage = {type = texture; value = 1;};
line after [b]diffuseMap = {...}[/b] in the [b]uniforms[/b] subsection of the above.
2. in the bgs_docking.fragment:
a. add a

uniform sampler2D bgImage;
line after the similar one with [b]diffuseMap[/b]
b. replace the

if(dt>0.1) discard;
line with

if(dt>0.1)
      {
        if (timeOffset != 1) 
        col = texture2D(bgImage,vec2(0.5 + vTexCoord.st.x, 0.5 - vTexCoord.st.y)).rgb;
        else
          discard;
      }
The only thing that doesn't pan quite right is the shader mapping of the background image (the one in-game is mapped by setScreenBackground), thus at the end you get a slight zoom-like effect.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

@Commander_X: But be aware that this adds even more branching. Probably it's time to redo this shader.

Edit: I guess it doesn't hurt to pass the coloring of the tint and glowing lines as uniform.
Commander_X
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander_X »

Svengali wrote:
@Commander_X: But be aware that this adds even more branching. Probably it's time to redo this shader.
I won't redo it! :D (I know! I know! It was not me you were referring at.)
On a more serious note, why not work from your old animation demo with a different setup -- e.g. a short zoom in the station interior faded to the docked background? I think the interior view of the station model as is, should be enough for the visual suggestion, without any extra modeling of the docks. Maybe a bit of playing with the lighting, to avoid the "duplication" of the scenery.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Commander_X wrote:
On a more serious note, why not work from your old animation demo with a different setup -- e.g. a short zoom in the station interior faded to the docked background? I think the interior view of the station model as is, should be enough for the visual suggestion, without any extra modeling of the docks. Maybe a bit of playing with the lighting, to avoid the "duplication" of the scenery.
It's not possible to get this right. The docking effect has to be done as VisualEffect with the is_break_pattern = true; flag when Oolite fires shipWillDockWithStation. When the status changes to docked any VisualEffect will be discarded (VisualEffects are inflight effects). This means the effect ends (although it still runs) before the background e.g. through screenbackgrounds.plist is displayed. All you can do is to fade to black before Oolite discards it.

And doing complex animations with lots of subentities, shaders and heavy scripts is probably not the way to make it faster .-) Before we switched to the docking tunnel I thought about doing a little bit more complex things (see pic) using moved decals, animated cockpit elements and some noise, but it was simply too slow (even in v1.77.1).

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Simpler stuff is possible though - for example install Aquatics and go visit their HQ in G3 (Aqualina, the system formerly known as Ribiara before the OXZ renames it).
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Cody wrote:
Strangest paint job I've seen on a Cobra MK III (and BGS seems to be missing the 'Price' display - is anyone maintaining BGS?).
The manifest of BGS is in my account, although I can not promise active maintenance.
I am not understanding your price problem, what would you like to see which is not in the linked image?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Norby wrote:
I am not understanding your price problem, what would you like to see which is not in the linked image?
Marked - core game displays the price there as part of the description (I think). Also, there should be a space between model. and Price:
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Cody wrote:
core game displays the price there as part of the description (I think). Also, there should be a space between model. and Price:
At me there is a price value and space also both with and without BGS. Could you check without BGS to confirm it is not BGS realted and other shipyards with another ships?
Cody

Post by Cody »

Virgin Oolite 1.82 has the price (and the space) as it should - strange one. I'll disable BGS in 1.83 and check again.

Edit to add: with BGS disabled, it doesn't display correctly in 1.83.0.6639-151127-1a26ab5 - so not BGS (I think).
Virgin trunk is fine - so begins the hunt for which expansion is causing it. <scratches head>
Cody

Post by Cody »

The culprit seems to be my personal descriptions.plist - odd, is that.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

[EliteWiki] BGS 2.0 is available. Documentation may follow .-)
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

I'm not sure if this is a bug or a feature, but the sound effects that play when you go to the various function screens (eg F8) play even when in space! I think they should only play when docked. This is BGS v2.0