Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[WIP] Duplex Fuel Tank v0.5

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [WIP] Duplex Fuel Tank v0.3

Post by Commander McLane »

Price is not really a balancing element, because once the player isn't a beginner anymore, money doesn't really matter. Sooner or later you get into the phase of playing where you've got far more money that you could ever spend. So there's effectively no difference between 7700Cr and 100000Cr.

Thus I'd rather increase the cargo requirement, because unlike money, cargo space is indeed limited. Therefore it's much better suited for balancing.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Commander McLane wrote:
... because once the player isn't a beginner anymore, money doesn't really matter.
By the time the player has got to that stage, cargo capacity doesn't really matter much either... but you are correct, amigo.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

El Viejo wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
... because once the player isn't a beginner anymore, money doesn't really matter.
By the time the player has got to that stage, cargo capacity doesn't really matter much either... but you are correct, amigo.
I wanted to add "without OXPs" first, because there are OXPs like HyperCargo, which make even your cargo space virtually unlimited. But for me that's essentially a cheat, and cheats are by design all about destroying balance, so they can't be taken into account when we discuss balancing.

So, if we look at the normally limited cargo space of ships, I do think that it matters much more than price, even in later stages of the game. I expect that we're going to see more equipment taking up cargo space, now that this has become a real possibility in 1.77. Thus, for a player who sticks to their Cobra III with its 35TC, installing three equipments that take up 5TC each, and maybe also having a passenger berth or two, will become a matter of serious consideration. And that's what balance all boils down to during gameplay: you have to seriously consider whether it's worth it or not.

Of course, I in my Imperial Courier have to consider less seriously, and he who flies a BCC has to consider even less. But that's still better than to have only to consider money, which comes cheap, and after a certain stage of gameplay simply refuses to go out ever again.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Commander McLane wrote:
... consider money, which comes cheap, and after a certain stage of gameplay simply refuses to go out ever again.
Oh I don't know... I manage to spend quite a lot on repairs, quite regularly. But then, in my line of work, I take a lot of hits!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
GGShinobi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by GGShinobi »

El Viejo wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
... consider money, which comes cheap, and after a certain stage of gameplay simply refuses to go out ever again.
Oh I don't know... I manage to spend quite a lot on repairs, quite regularly. But then, in my line of work, I take a lot of hits!
With my regular Cobra MK III, I make relatively good profit over time. But I also die often :lol: Too bad you can't tell how strong a ship is from a safe distance :lol: But with my test-cheat-account, where I fly a Millenium Falcon-S, dying is almost impossible but my money goes steadily dooooown because of the tremendous repair costs (the ship has a lot of destructible and fragile subentities, which means I have to do maintenance overhauls almost every time I dock) :-) But then again, I play different and much less careful with the Falcon, since it's no serious savegame.
忍 knowing that enough is enough, you'll always have enough.

Running Oolite 1.77 on Ubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS
JeX
Competent
Competent

Post by JeX »

Commander McLane wrote:
Price is not really a balancing element, because once the player isn't a beginner anymore, money doesn't really matter. Sooner or later you get into the phase of playing where you've got far more money that you could ever spend. So there's effectively no difference between 7700Cr and 100000Cr.

Thus I'd rather increase the cargo requirement, because unlike money, cargo space is indeed limited. Therefore it's much better suited for balancing.
Well the thing is, the cheaper it is the sooner you can get a hold of it and the sooner you will get to the point where you do not think about money.
Fine if you like it that way but for me this game is all about the journey of getting to that point in the game. And the harder you have to fight, survive and make difficult choices the better... :)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

JeX wrote:
Fine if you like it that way but for me this game is all about the journey of getting to that point in the game. And the harder you have to fight, survive and make difficult choices the better... :)
Then don't install what is essentially a cheat OXP in the first place. I certainly won't. :wink:
timer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [WIP] Duplex Fuel Tank v0.4

Post by timer »

beta v0.4, changed to: 3LY/8t/62000Cr
Cobra MK III owner since 1994
JeX
Competent
Competent

Post by JeX »

Commander McLane wrote:
JeX wrote:
Then don't install what is essentially a cheat OXP in the first place. I certainly won't. :wink:
Agreed. That's essentially also the thing we're discussing: Finding some way to balance the idea around without moving into cheat territory.
Although it is a toughy...
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Commander McLane wrote:
Price is still a minor balancing element, because equipment price does change maintenance repair costs. If coupled with reduced cargo capacity, you're looking at reduced credit-earning capacity with increased credit-costs...at some point those 2 cross and you have to find additional means of generating revenue besides simple trading. Calculating when this happens is not easy...but it's probably at some low value for an Asp, which has no TC capacity to begin with! (Asps could still buy/sell Gold/Plat/Gems.) At the other end of the spectrum, the earning capacity from simple trading (no cargo contracts) isn't much higher for a Boa 2 than a Python unless you have multiple extra stations in each system and regularly visit them.
mohawk
Competent
Competent

Re: [WIP] Duplex Fuel Tank v0.5

Post by mohawk »

Is there any issue with the 1.82 version, because since I upgraded, the DFT doesn't work. it appears in my primable list, but it does nothing and my cargo space has been restored. At some point it was available for purchase but after I bought it again the problem reappeared.
timer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by timer »

ooh! :( I'll check it, thanks!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Does it use the old TL99 hack? That is now deprecated, so you will need a condition script. ExtraFuelTanks has been updated so take a look if you want an example.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
timer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by timer »

yep, it use TL99.

Thanks a lot Smivs! you always help me ;)

I'll try to refactor code ASAP.
timer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by timer »

Updated to 0.51 - remove using TL99 hack, plz test it.