Invisible Ships!

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

ramon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Invisible Ships!

Post by ramon »

I'm running the latest WinXP version (but with the new exe with the funky planet textures).

Sometimes an enemy ship will become see through. I don't mean it disappears as if it has a cloaking device I mean I can still see it but my lasers and missles can't.

Take a look at this screen grab:

As you can see, the enemy ship is still firing on me (and causing damage) but my missle won't lock on and my lasers just go right through it!

Oh and to get to this stage, I first shot up this craft and I think instead of it blowing up it became indestructible. The first time this happened an escape pod was launched and the ship just carried on flying in a straight line (but didn't change to white on the scanner and it couldn't be blown up after).
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

Because you're using the experimental textured-planets version it's probably best to email your bug reports to dajt, or report bugs on the oolite-pc berlios site, or in the thread announcing this build in the Oolite-PC area.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
magamo
Competent
Competent

Post by magamo »

I'm seeing this issue a lot myself. With me, it seems to just be more of the ghost ship bug cropping up. It happens for me often when I destroy a ship. I get the bounty, I see an explosion, my targetting computer switches off. But the enemy ship just keeps going. I cannot re-target it, and my shots go right through it. In my case, Slackware Linux, Kernel 2.6.17.7, xorg 6.8.2, Oolite 1.65.
ramon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ramon »

aegidian wrote:
Because you're using the experimental textured-planets version it's probably best to email your bug reports to dajt, or report bugs on the oolite-pc berlios site, or in the thread announcing this build in the Oolite-PC area.
Will do.

The screen shot above is from dajt's exe file but the first time this happened was with the new 1.65 version.
lucabu
Competent
Competent

Post by lucabu »

magamo wrote:
It happens for me often when I destroy a ship. I get the bounty, I see an explosion, my targetting computer switches off. But the enemy ship just keeps going. I cannot re-target it, and my shots go right through it.
I am experiencing the very same situation :( 1.65, Slackware Linux 10.2
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

Okay, evidently the ghost-ships are back. There's some debug info you can send me in these situations...

If this happens, pause the game, press '0' and then 'd' then resume the game, try to shoot the ship, pause again press '0' then send me the last few pages of console.log or STDERR.TXT.

lucabu
Competent
Competent

Post by lucabu »

aegidian wrote:
If this happens, pause the game, press '0' and then 'd' then resume the game, try to shoot the ship, pause again press '0' then send me the last few pages of console.log or STDERR.TXT.
I'll do it this weekend. In the meanwhile, I sent you informations as requested here:

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=2260
lucabu
Competent
Competent

Post by lucabu »

aegidian wrote:
You got it on your email.

Luca.
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

Incidently nothing can harm a 'ghost ship' it is not just a targetting or displacement bug.
An energybomb or qbomb leave the perp untouched.
I usually associate this behaviour with escapepods being launched, but not consistently (only with pythons etc).
Riding the Rocket!
lucabu
Competent
Competent

Post by lucabu »

Arexack_Heretic wrote:
I usually associate this behaviour with escapepods being launched, but not consistently (only with pythons etc).
I've seen it with Thargoid Carrier. Which has no escapepods...
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

I just posted a new topic on this (Help with strange Ghost Ship Bug), as I thought it must be somthing to do with the size of the new ships in the Assassins.oxp. I'm running dajit's new exec, but I have only encountered this bug with the massive Cruisers and Deathburger stand in (a destroyable Military station). I've not seen it with any native or other oxp ships. Could the size of the ship be a factor?
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
lucabu
Competent
Competent

Post by lucabu »

LittleBear wrote:
Could the size of the ship be a factor?
I've seen it only with Thargoid Carrier and a few times with a Pirate Cove. So I might say that the size of the ship could affect it... :?
Arexack_Heretic
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

I may have artificially created a ghost torpedo. :) by messing up the AI.

it went dumb after losing its target and got stuck there because of a typo.

I put in a line like:

Code: Select all

COLLISION = (setAIStateTo: DETONATE);
that method is mis-spelled, so it not only did it get stuck in the same state, it also did no longer respond to collision.

I could be mistaken as often ships seem to be on a ramming course and then miraculously miss.
Riding the Rocket!
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

:idea:

lolwhites
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lolwhites »

Have just experienced it on the Ioinics mission. While hunting and destroying the Ramazan vessels, one (which registered on my radar) survived laser blast after laser blast, three missiles just flew around it and it was immune to an energy bomb.