Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

General advice for transferring savegames to new version?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Obsidian
Competent
Competent

General advice for transferring savegames to new version?

Post by Obsidian »

Like the topic says. I figure there are simple considerations that can be shared by those in the know for us non-developer types. :)

For example, some oxp equipment might now be redundant, but not saleable; savegame editing the only option? Will old trader/parcel/special oxp reputations hold or is starting over from scratch in the cards? Other things of which I'm not thinking? These are the type of considerations I'd like... well, considered. :lol:

(But only if it's basic stuff. More "what to consider" rather than a "how to accomplish.") Thanks in advance.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: General advice for transferring savegames to new version

Post by cim »

A save game from 1.80 should load in 1.82 without difficulty, preserving all data. (Note that a save game from 1.82 will not load without serious data loss in 1.80, so if you think you might ever need to go back, take a backup now)

Most OXPs should work as they did in 1.80; updated versions are available in the manager for most of the rest.

If you do find you have some unsaleable OXP equipment that you no longer want, removing the OXP will get rid of it without savegame editing.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

I'm playing with the same save game from Elite 1.76 ( I only renamed the save game but it is still basically the same save) And it still works in 1.82. Mostly. :D.

I have 2 eights on this game. Rating Dangerous. Going for elite but taking it VERY slow. Playing Oolite since 2006 I think :).
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Got a weird one - I bought a Boa Clipper in Oolite 1.80, flew it a few times, now I've installed the Clipper OXP under 1.82 and copied my saved games across but it won't load the ship, it says "Ship - Boa Clipper, OXP not installed," and "could not find ship boa-clipper-player" if I try to load it. I have the current version of Clippers in both versions of Oolite.

I can't see anything in the log to suggest that Clippers isn't loading properly, and I can find a Python clipper on sale in one of my saved games - not a Boa clipper so far but I've only checked 3 or 4 systems. Any suggestions?

I've already tried removing and re-adding the Clipper oxp.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Hmmm, I'm getting this as well. I just loaded up an old (but good) save and have the same problem.
I'll have to look at this and try to work out what's happening - I have quite a busy day in RL but I'll report back ASAP.

edited to add - Ah, I think I've found it. For some reason (brain-fade?!) I seem to have re-named the ship from boaclipper-player to boa-clipper-player (extra hyphen) in shipdata. I'll issue a fix as soon as I can but it may not be today due to RL pressure.
You could try editing a copy of your save file to correct this as a temporary measure, but keep a copy so that you can revert to it after the fix.

Code: Select all

<key>ship_desc</key>
    <string>boa-clipper-player</string>
or open up the OXZ and re-name the player ship as 'boaclipper-player', not boa-clipper-player.
Apologies for this :oops:

Final edit:- OK, fixed I hope. v1.4.2 is now available via the Expansions manager or the wiki.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.