Black Widow Flightstick and Oolite - successful config

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Jesters Tear
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Black Widow Flightstick and Oolite - successful config

Post by Jesters Tear »

Hello there, on the advice of Gimi from the ED Kickstarter comment community, I've registered here to confirm that said Flightstick configures perfectly from within the Oolite menu - all buttons, throttle, yaw and hat switch.

I found the stick tonight whilst having a bit of a reorganise - bought a couple of years ago for Sturmovik but not really used. As I am following ED closely, I'd installed Oolite a week or three ago but didn't get on with keyboard control...

Let's see how I get on now with a proper controller.

This is the link to the drivers. I don't think the vibration is working mind - not that it matters to me:

http://www.speedlink.com/?p=2&cat=314&pid=21606&paus=2

Hope this helps.

JT
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Black Widow Flightstick and Oolite - successful config

Post by Gimi »

Hi there Jesters Tear, and welcome to the board.
The main reasons for asking you to post about the joystick is my and others experience using different joysticks with Oolite.
There has been a tendency that joysticks with force feedback or a twist handles have had problems with calibration and drift. I have also seen the problem with throttles.
Since I'm keeping an eye on joysticks with a good throttle, I would like to hear about how you are getting on with the Speedlink, as that is one model I have never heard of before.
Good to hear that everything is working well so far.
By the way, are you running on Windows.

Again, welcome.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Gimi wrote:
There has been a tendency that joysticks with force feedback or a twist handles have had problems with calibration and drift. I have also seen the problem with throttles.
Since I'm keeping an eye on joysticks with a good throttle...
In that case, I'd like to let you know that the throttle and twist handle on my Saitek Cyborg EVO are rock-solid. When plugged into my Vista laptop sometimes the other two axis would drift, but no problems with twist or throttle. (the amount of deadzone needed seemed to vary from one USB port to another, so I'm inclined to think it was the laptop circuitry itself that was at fault.)

Since changing to Linux Mint 13 for Oolite, on another PC, the 'stick has been steady as a rock, no drift or other problems at all. :D
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Jesters Tear
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Jesters Tear »

Gimi, I've played two nights in a row now - from scratch I now have a fairly decent ship with a military laser - just been grinding furs, liquor and computers between Lave and Zaonce - four kills and not much else - just collecting credits.

The stick works fine. No force feedback. A slight bit of drift to the left if I let go of it but I'm playing on a laptop plonked on the arm of a sofa, with the stick on my lap so it's all very ad hoc.

If you can still get the stick then it's sturdy and german engineered. Rubberised feel. It doesn't have a twist axis on the stick - it has a separate yaw switch built into the throttle. Anything else you want to know shout up.

I'm off to do some more grinding now to get my ship strong enough to start a bounty hunting career. A few more hours should give me all the credits I need.

It was easy to dock (pre DCs) with the stick.

Running Windows 7.

Cheerio.

JT
Alex_F
Average
Average

Post by Alex_F »

Sorry for resurrecting the old thread, does anyone use this joystick on a Mac (Oolite 1.80), and can confirm that it works well?

Alex
Clean and dangerous. So far...
Alex_F
Average
Average

Post by Alex_F »

OK, just a feedback for the community: the joystick works flawlessly with the max (10.7.5) and oolite 1.80! Just did a small flight, but every button and all axes do what they are supposed to do!

And now: bring on the thargoids! :D

Alex
Clean and dangerous. So far...
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Cool - go get 'em!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!