Cobra Mk 2

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Cobra Mk 2

Post by Smivs »

What is it with this ship? :!:
OK, I'll come clean and admit that I am working on the next addition to the Classic Ships suite of OXZs. I am considering what other ships can get the 'Classic' treatment - specifically OXP ships from the early days of Oolite which are clearly of the same style as the original 'core' ships, and perhaps ships from other Elite versions as well.
So I looked at the Cobra Mk 2, and am now really perplexed. Overlooking the fact there is no such ship
the Elite manual wrote:
...the Mk 2 only reached prototype stage and was abandoned due to a design fault in the hull...
in Oolite there is. Giles (Aegidian) produced one for his x-ships OXP, and a pretty little thing it is too.
But that brings me on to the problems I see with it.
It is little - very little. No bigger than an Adder really. Fair enough as it is described as a (Light) Interceptor in the wiki, but the specs just don't make sense. For a ship half the size of a Cobby 1 it is remarkably well appointed! Compared to the Mk 1 it is faster (0.348 LM compared to 0.26 LM), has more cargo space (12TC Vs 10TC) which seems odd for an interceptor anyway, it has one more energy bank and a better recharge rate, and it can be retro-fitted with military shields unlike the Mk 1.
Now as you all know, I am big on balance and I do like things to 'make sense', and right now this doesn't. I have a fair idea in my mind how I might resolve these paradoxes, but would like some opinion and thoughts from around the community as well. I will not prejudice the discussion by explaining what I will probably do ( and you probably won't guess!), but what are your views?
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Cobra Mk 2

Post by Cody »

Smivs wrote:
I am considering what other ships can get the 'Classic' treatment... perhaps ships from other Elite versions.
Plenty to choose from there:

Elite A ships: Bushmaster, Chameleon, Ghavial, Iguana, Monitor, Ophidian, Salamander
Elite 2 ships: Bug, Cat (aka Cougar), Delta, Drake, Gnat, Griffin

Griff has done most, if not all, of those - I especially like the Ophidian.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Cody wrote:
Smivs wrote:
I am considering what other ships can get the 'Classic' treatment... perhaps ships from other Elite versions.
Plenty to choose from there:

Elite A ships: Bushmaster, Chameleon, Ghavial, Iguana, Monitor, Ophidian, Salamander
Elite 2 ships: Bug, Cat (aka Cougar), Delta, Drake, Gnat, Griffin
Indeed yes, spoilt for choice, Smivs is. The Elite A ships are already in my sights (and my ToDo folder :wink: ) but I had overlooked the Elite 2 set. Thanks for the heads up/reminder.
This lot will keep me busy for years to come I suspect.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Then there are the Arc Elite ships: Copperhead, Hognose, Moccasin, Racer
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Stop! I'll still be working on this in the afterlife at this rate!
Layne
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Layne »

Haha, aha~! Yoiks and away~! a subject near and dear to my own corrugated heart, Smivs, as if you peek sidelong at my icon you'll see I'm flying the very Cobra 2 in question. (Yes, that is /exactly/ Aegidian's X-ships design, though with a new paint job.) In my case, I noticed /very/ quickly that the cargo space didn't fit the tiny size, and chopped it to a mere three tons for balance (I'm not a trader but I like to rescue escape pods and slaves, so you need at least a couple of tons with your scoop for that), but I also like passenger runs and added an integral (non-removable) cabin using your own trick from the Yelloo Cabs oxp. Speed wise, she's still very nippy and zippy and nimble and slightly zimble. I'd say keep the speed, chop the cargo to the barest minimum (three tons at the most), and reduce the recharge. Military shields seem fair if you can afford them-- my view is that they cost so much that that the price balances out their use.

One thing, though, is that in keeping with the in-game canon of the Cobra 2 being an abandoned design, I don't call the Witchspace Wench a Cobra 2. I've renamed the ship design as a /Black Racer/, in the tradition of keeping with serpent-based names.

Having seen your other retro-remakes, I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with some of the ships Cody mentioned as well! I'm the one who asked Pagroove to repost his Old Ships 2010 mod just to get my claws on those. I'd love to see them brought even more up-to-date with running lights and the nice touches you add to your ship packages. (I'm a sucker for running lights. I don't know why.)
Reports of my death have been greatly underestimated.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Hi Layne,
I was hoping to hear from you (and Mossfoot) as users of this little gem. Thanks for your thoughts and insight - very helpful :)
Layne
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Layne »

Smivs wrote:
Hi Layne,
I was hoping to hear from you (and Mossfoot) as users of this little gem. Thanks for your thoughts and insight - very helpful :)
Anything for you, mon petit citrouille.
Day
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Day »

Layne wrote:
Smivs wrote:
Hi Layne,
Anything for you, mon petit citrouille.
A citrouille is always female, so it would be "Anything for you, ma petite citrouille", you lovebirds.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Smivs doesn't know what to say, so says nothing...
Cody

Post by Cody »

<sniggers>
Layne
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Layne »

My devotion to Smivs is purely based on a mutual appreciation for retro-designed ships and an obsessional adoration for Halloween-themed things.

I mean, how can you not swoon over a debonair Jack-o-lantern?
:wink:
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On the moon Thought, orbiting the planet Ignorance.

Post by Redspear »

Smivs wrote:
Hi Layne,
This thread might be of interest.

Personally, I think Paradox got it about right with his first attempt at a rescale (2nd pic).

Edit: Aegidian's oxp models weren't quite the simple polys of the original ships, so you might want to consider how they'd look next to your current set. It would be a simple matter to 'flatten' them out a bit of course...
Layne
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Layne »

A few more bits of grist to toss in the hopper, since it's all about the grist.

One, missile pylons. The wiki says the original Mk2 in X-Ships had three missile slots. This, too, is far out of balance for a ship of that size. One would be pushing it, though I personally like having at least one pylon for use in special missions that require it. Really a ship that tiny shouldn't have any pylons at all. Also, the rear laser mount doesn't fit the size of the ship, and should almost certainly be removed.

Second, this is a personal note on one reason I love the ship at the size it is now. I have no idea if it was deliberate or not, but Aegidian put the external views on the ship high up and close in, which gives an uncommonly fighter-cockpit-like feel to the ship as it stands. I personally love the immersion, though I know some would complain about having your back and side views slightly blocked.

A couple of shots to illustrate how it feels to fly one:

Side view, looking out over right wing.

Rear view, with engines at high throttle.

Most ships in the game don't have that kind of 'being there' feeling, and I hope you'll consider keeping that if you do rework the ship for one of your collections, Smivs.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Redspear wrote:
Smivs wrote:
Hi Layne,
This thread might be of interest.

Personally, I think Paradox got it about right with his first attempt at a rescale (2nd pic).
Good to see this mentioned.. thought I was going to have to bring it up.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied