Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[Solved] Fedora 22 latest source build.....

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

patndave
Average
Average

[Solved] Fedora 22 latest source build.....

Post by patndave »

Just wondering if anyone has successfully built the latest oolite from source on Fedora 22.

Currently I'm getting a jsapi.h fatal error (yes its there in the deps) and was wondering if anyone else had covered this?

I noticed an old post from a few years ago where someone was having a similar sort of problem and it related to the fact that GNUmake was pulling in the nspr libs over the top of the js ones..... dont know if that is relevant though.

Been bumping my head on this one for a few days now..

Cheers
Last edited by Getafix on Mon May 18, 2015 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as "Solved"
My name's not important.....
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Re: Fedora 22 latest source build.....

Post by Getafix »

Hello patndave and welcome!

I presume you are on a 64bit distro right? Till we get our hands on a Fedora22 machine (virtual or not)... allow me to slightly abuse this thread by asking, is the installer provided by oolite.org download page working?
I'm asking because we had addressed some cases in the past (very very very past) with Fedora.
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
patndave
Average
Average

Post by patndave »

Downloaded and tried the package - works like a dream.

So its def something to do with the compile..... will do some more digging and find out.....
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

...go to Oolite source root folder and

Code: Select all

$ cd deps/Linux-deps/x86_64/lib_linker/ 
$ ls
$ ./make_so_links.sh
$ ls
$ cd ../../../..
$ make -f Makefile distclean
$ make -f Makefile pkg-posix-snapshot
...I just added the ls commands so that you visually check that 8 symbolic links have been created in the lib_linker folder.
So, does this do the trick and completes the compilation?

By the way, how did you get the source code (e.g. "git clone ..." command, downloaded from github.org, etc.)?
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
patndave
Average
Average

Post by patndave »

Well you guys are genius's - its currently compiling.... will verify that it all works once it finishes.... and yup! got a package and it then installs & runs... wonderful!

FYI I pulled it with "git" as per the instructions on the wiki (http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Running_Oolite-Linux) which worked perfectly.

As a newbie to "git" I found this guide -> http://rogerdudler.github.io/git-guide/ very useful and simple to understand how & what for git.

Now I can start playing with the source!
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Getafix »

Glad to have been of help. :)

Please, note that making the target distclean also cleans the libraries builds (e.g. SpiderMonkey JavaScript engine, etc.).
Library code changes are more than rare, so to gain some build-time and clean just the Oolite code, the following should be enough

Code: Select all

$ make -f Makefile clean