Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

I've broken the 7 ly limit! (sort of...)

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

I've broken the 7 ly limit! (sort of...)

Post by Switeck »

Under very special conditions, I can reach some "unreachable" points like this:

And I didn't use a special programmed Galactic Hyperdrive destination to get there. 8)

Teonus, Ersodi, Mabiat, Istimale, and even Uszale are all 6.8 LY away from this "middle of nowhere" location.
Inlaid and Xeononle are both 5.2 LY away...they're tied for the NEAREST system to my ship.
While these systems are all within 7 LY of my location, it requires some extreme tricks to get here.
A misjump is only half the distance of a regular jump...so a misjump on a max-range 6.8 LY hyperspace hop is only 3.2 or 3.6 LY distance. This would still fall short of the nearest system by 1.6-2 LY.

This would be a cool place for a secret base. 8)
Last edited by Switeck on Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: I've broken the 7 ly limit! (sort of...)

Post by Switeck »

I did have a way in Oolite v1.76 to reach the disconnected systems in Galaxy Charts 3 using stacked wormholes, but it was removed as a bug/exploit around v1.77.

So reaching Ditere without using the Galactic Hyperdrive became impossible again...for awhile!

I've since figured out how to reach it again using a LONG chain of variable-distance misjumps. By "long", I mean potentially about 70 misjumps.

Although I'm working on improvements for that, I'm already seeing each improvement only marginally changing the number of jumps or time involved...so I don't foresee improving my "best" route much further. :(
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Variable-distance misjumps offered me an improved way to reach Oresrati in Galaxy Chart 8 -- I'd quickly figured out how to take less time.

But in the last 24 hours I figured out how to use only 3 misjumps and 1 regular jump to get there -- 1 fewer misjump.
___________________________________________[9,46121,65088,23121,162]; // 127.27 hours [121,48009,64088,22121,162]; // 131.67 hours___________________________________________
There may be slightly quicker ways still, but good luck even being able to get to Oresrati by any means.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Switeck wrote:
But in the last 24 hours I figured out how to use only 3 misjumps and 1 regular jump to get there -- 1 fewer misjump.
How much fuel did that take?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

About 26-28 LY of fuel. I didn't check, since I am using NPC ships as the fuel source...and they always have 7 LY fuel for each jump.

Even a 1% misjump takes the same fuel as a 99% misjump, and most of the jumps are 6.4 or 6.8 LY.
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

Mauiby de Fug wrote:
From browsing the forums, there are a few things that keep on getting requested... Laser cooling boosters, a garage that enables you to own multiple ships, and a way to jump more than 7 light years...

The obvious thing would be to say that it's the player's choice to use the equipment or not, or even to install it, but I find the missions to be a fun and enjoyable part of Oolite, and would not wish to affect them. Therefore, I might try and make it compatible with these things if possible, either by outright disabling it being bought, or causing it to constantly mis-jump/fail. I'd have to look into it and see what I could do...

Questions, comments, corrections?! Feedback is welcomed...

(There are still a few hiccups - every now and again, the "ship" doesn't seem to make it through its own wormhole and doesn't appear on the other side, which, while possibly a useful thing in itself, needs explaining. But apart from that it seems to be working pretty well.)

And that is exactly what I thought OXP/OXZ's were all about.
I for one would love to have the choice of chain jumps.
Chance of a miss-jump.. Interesting, speacially if the number of jumps stays the same. Eg. A 5 jump trip but jump2 goes a bit off, 3 more jumps.. who knows where!?
This has lotsa fun plastered all over it.
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
If you do not see "Press Space" more often than you want.. Your not trying!
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Alex wrote:
And that is exactly what I thought OXP/OXZ's were all about.
I for one would love to have the choice of chain jumps.
Well, as well as Mauiby's OXP there's also Murphy's Thargoid Witchspace Drive, for an explained in-game version, or Okti's Long Range Scanner for a cheat-screen style version.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Unknown travel route across void...

Void-crossing route discovered at mid-bottom of Galaxy Chart 1...

Void-crossing routes discovered at bottom-right Galaxy Chart 2...

Void-crossing routes discovered in top right of Galaxy Chart 3...

Travel Routes across the Great Rift in Galaxy Chart 7...

Additional void-crossing route discovered in Galaxy Chart 7...

Void-crossing routes to Oresrati at bottom-left of Galaxy Chart 8!

I leave it as an exercise for other players on how to do it!

Void-crossing misjumping hints:
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... 64#p128864