Oolite: A British Phenomenon?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Wunderbear
Average
Average

Post by Wunderbear »

Rxke wrote:
Nice artilleryMechas, Wunderbear! 8)
Thanks! :D I will hopefully get onto that elite pic.
//My Deviantart//

Look on, and BEWARE!
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

@ wunderbear - is that 'deviant-art' or 'devian-tart'...? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
Wunderbear
Average
Average

Post by Wunderbear »

Star Gazer wrote:
@ wunderbear - is that 'deviant-art' or 'devian-tart'...? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Heh. Ah heh. HAHAHAHAHAno.

¬_¬

yes.
//My Deviantart//

Look on, and BEWARE!
sabre
Above Average
Above Average

Post by sabre »

I'm from the Northeast of England.

First played Elite on the C64 about 20 years ago and got to Elite. I was so sad at the time (still am of course) I would make excuses to my gielfriend why I couldn't see her to play Elite...... Also player Frontier on the Amiga which I can't remember anything about so couldn't have been that good. Play FFE on the PC which was OK but once you complete the Thargoid mission can got a Thargoid ship the game became a bit pointless as you could fly the ship through a space station if you when slowly. Came across Oolite while looking for emulators to play Elite on PC. Oolite is definiately a really cool game and far better than the orginal. Did like the military rank thing in FFE though nd the newspaper.

I also came across this PDA version of Elite which is good but the save game facility is limited:

http://www.eliteppc.com/index.htm
Live the dream fly the Velocity from Performance Hulls

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Velocity_OXP
Roberto
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Roberto »

I loved the military-rank thing too, even though (if I remember correctly) the Federation ones were ordered a bit strangely.

*Goes off at a tangent* Would be cool to have an extra page in Oolite for your commander's medals/ranks... (And a way of having missions increase your rank rather than simply assign it, so you didn't get demoted!)
Panzerboy
Average
Average

Post by Panzerboy »

I am French (Well, this happens, you know)

Diecovered Elite on a Spectrum in 1984 while studying law in Bordeaux. Would spend Days and night playing it during the holidays (sad, I know). Got it later on an Atari ST, then Frontier on a PC.

Now living in Guadeloupe, a French island in the Caribbean, and 22 years later playing Oolite on my Mac, to the utter dismay of my still loving wife :D .
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Star Gazer »

Excellent, so it wasn't just wierdo old Brits that enjoyed Oolite on the Speccy way back when...!
- bit bemused by a Frenchman with the nick of 'panzerboy'...!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

An East end boy, first played Elite on an Amstrad 6128 in about 1986, tried the PC version about 10 years later. Eventually discovered TNK then the excellent Xelite and finally Oolite, the best of the bunch. Living in Berkshire and at 56 the second oldest oolite player, so far........

TGHC
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Panzerboy
Average
Average

Post by Panzerboy »

Star Gazer wrote:
- bit bemused by a Frenchman with the nick of 'panzerboy'...!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
2 reasons :

1 - The "hardwired" novel by Walter Jon Williams
2 - back then draft was mandatory and I served one year in a light armoured recon regiment. Best year in my life (sigh)
capt.Pirk
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by capt.Pirk »

Panzerboy wrote:
Star Gazer wrote:
2 reasons :

1 - The "hardwired" novel by Walter Jon Williams
2 - back then draft was mandatory and I served one year in a light armoured recon regiment. Best year in my life (sigh)
Welcome aboard. Make sure you watch your six if your panzer down :twisted: :wink:
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Star Gazer »

... :roll:

@ Panzerboy - ah -Zelazny's book 'Damnation Alley' was a favourite of mine - I believe 'Hardwired' owed a lot to that novel.
Spaceball
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Spaceball »

I remember playing Elite on my brothers C64 in 1986-1987. I think it was popular in Germany too. I found the link to Oolite on a Website for homebrew games. The dutch programmer pointed that in the forum for his game.

cu, Spaceball
Cos
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cos »

I discovered Elite one evening at Wh Smiths store in 1986 or 87 I think. I saw the box picked it up and thought why not, took it home and loaded into my Atari St and then just couldn't stop! I spent so many nights playing until 3 or 4 in the morning on a school night with the volume turned right down so my parents couldn't hear what I was up to.
I really became addicted to it and it certainly affected my studies for A levels (I could have been a doctor!). Anyway eventually my Atari was relegated to the attic and years later I bought a Pc. I looked for Elite but couldn't find it, I even dug out my old St occasionally for a blast and also tried Frontier which was ok. Suddenly a week or so ago I come across this site, couldn't believe it, wow! Haven't stopped again, just like the old days, except work (and the wife) get in the way sometimes. Wish I could get the external views to work on that Super Cobra though, never mind I'll just stick with courier, or shall I try and Asp?

Thanks to everybody who made this happen.

Cos :D
Panzerboy
Average
Average

Post by Panzerboy »

capt.Pirk wrote:
Welcome aboard. Make sure you watch your six if your panzer down :twisted: :wink:
Took me 9 days to understand the pun. Must sleep more :D
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Star Gazer »

:lol: :lol: :lol: