Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

alien craft salvaging

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

toto d merchant
Above Average
Above Average

alien craft salvaging

Post by toto d merchant »

can alien ships be salvaged? i am hovering over an alien ship right now but the craft wouldn't stick to my towbar. guys?
toto d merchant
Above Average
Above Average

Re: alien craft salvaging

that question was answered. the alien craft was in quitiri. i left it and proceeded to isinor. when i came back to quitiri there were hostile alien craft waiting for me. they were on super injectors and moved very fast and killed me. what were they? they were not thargoids.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

toto d merchant wrote:
what were they?
That depends on what OXPs you have :wink:
It's a pretty safe bet that it wasn't one of the Aliens though, unless another OXP is somehow messing with it. None have escape capsules so they cannot become derelict, and they do not appear in groups.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

toto d merchant wrote:
killed me. what were they?
Install [wiki]LogEvents[/wiki] and you will see the type of your attacker next time in the Latest.log file.
toto d merchant
Above Average
Above Average

Smivs wrote:
toto d merchant wrote:
what were they?
That depends on what OXPs you have :wink:
It's a pretty safe bet that it wasn't one of the Aliens though, unless another OXP is somehow messing with it. None have escape capsules so they cannot become derelict, and they do not appear in groups.
i have the aliens oxp belonging to the ambience category magister smivs, and i swear to you by all that's holy in the ooniverse that i encountered aliens because the scanner targeting enhancement labeled them so. the first ship i came across was floating with its nose down motionless and was a derelict to all intents and purposes. it wouldn't stick to my towbar and i was tempted to destroy it; but being a somewhat buddhistic trader was able to restrain myself. when i came back to quitiri, there was a hostile group waiting for me near the rock hermit. i activated my injector and one detached itself from the group and went after me. alien! alien! in spite of my injector, the scene that ensued was like watching a cat chase a caterpillar. i never stood a chance. emergent computer behavior?
toto d merchant
Above Average
Above Average

Norby wrote:
toto d merchant wrote:
killed me. what were they?
Install [wiki]LogEvents[/wiki] and you will see the type of your attacker next time in the Latest.log file.
ok sir norby.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Hmmm, all very strange. This is certainly not expected behaviour so something else might be having some influence, but I have no idea what.
Which Aliens were involved? I'm assuming the aggressive ones were the Scorpax - the red/yellow/brown coloured ones with forward facing wings - is that right. The Cephalan (like a leaf with red veins) or the Odonatean (blue and yellow) are the other two types.
As I said none would normally do what you describe.
toto d merchant
Above Average
Above Average

Smivs wrote:
Hmmm, all very strange. This is certainly not expected behaviour so something else might be having some influence, but I have no idea what.
Which Aliens were involved? I'm assuming the aggressive ones were the Scorpax - the red/yellow/brown coloured ones with forward facing wings - is that right. The Cephalan (like a leaf with red veins) or the Odonatean (blue and yellow) are the other two types.
As I said none would normally do what you describe.
yes, it was brown with forward facing wings and moved super fast sir. now i'm not so sure if the other ships in the group were just ordinary pirates but the one that scorched me showed up as alien in the scanner targeting enhancement.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Yes, that sounds like a Scorpax. My guess is that he was 'entertaining' the other ships when you arrived and he decided that you looked like more fun - they like a good tussle, do Scorpaxes. They are quite tough, mind, being more or less the equivalent of a tricked-out Cobra III in terms of speed and equipment, but they are very accomplished hunters and will certainly not be a push-over.
All the aliens have their own unique roles in shipdata, and are spawned by the OXP's worldscript so should never appear as anything else - for instance you won't get 'pirate' ones, or 'traders'. This is why I am still a bit puzzled by the derelict one. If that does happen again, perhaps make a note of what it is, and maybe have a look in the log, although I wouldn't expect to see anything useful there.
toto d merchant
Above Average
Above Average

Smivs wrote:
Yes, that sounds like a Scorpax. My guess is that he was 'entertaining' the other ships when you arrived and he decided that you looked like more fun - they like a good tussle, do Scorpaxes. They are quite tough, mind, being more or less the equivalent of a tricked-out Cobra III in terms of speed and equipment, but they are very accomplished hunters and will certainly not be a push-over.
All the aliens have their own unique roles in shipdata, and are spawned by the OXP's worldscript so should never appear as anything else - for instance you won't get 'pirate' ones, or 'traders'. This is why I am still a bit puzzled by the derelict one. If that does happen again, perhaps make a note of what it is, and maybe have a look in the log, although I wouldn't expect to see anything useful there.
the one floating motionless was alien sir, no doubt about it. i nudged it gently twice and the scanner targeting enhancement labeled it alien. it was brown and its wings were swept forward.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Another Scorpax.
They do tend to 'hang' for a second or two during combat, just sit there doing nothing, but only for a second or so. It is never long enough to target them, quite. It is quite off-putting really and is probably a tactic to confuse the enemy, which is surprisingly effective.
Maybe this one just took a good idea too far! :)