Please Tell Me This Can Work! :(

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Please Tell Me This Can Work! :(

Post by Cody »

As Layne said, you can mix and match with parcel/cargo/passenger contracts. I carry parcels only, which leaves me holdspace to trade along the way.
One thing to watch (in case you're unaware) is that all repairs (and ordnance fitting) take time - in some cases, lots of time. On a long run, it all adds up.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
NigelJK
Deadly
Deadly

Post by NigelJK »

What might be nice is if you could configure where the savefile is stored from the UI. I would put mine on my one drive (cloud storage).
Vincentz
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Vincentz »

Talking about saves, I wish it would arrange to date modified, so latest saves would be on top.

@nigel
I think dropbox can be configured which folders it automatically updates/uploads. Maybe one drive can too?
"There is a single light of science, and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere." - Isaac Asimov
KroSha
Poor
Poor

Post by KroSha »

I've recently been getting into multiple contracts. Parcels are easy; you can have as many as you want, as long as you think you can make the deadlines. Whenever I am en-route to somewhere a way away, I always check for parcels going in roughly the same direction. It doesn't happen that often, but it's nice when it does.

You can even have multiple cargo contracts at the same time. I'm still in my Cobra, although it's getting pretty tricked out by now. I always check the cargo contracts for anything that will fit in my hold. Then I sell the cargo at the next system (or even the same one, if the price is right) and trade my way across the stars, using my normal methods. Then, at a suitable system close to the destination, I buy the required cargo and deliver it. As long as the items are available, I get to make a profit on the contract and on the journey to complete it.
Huntress
Dangerous
Dangerous
Location: Carman, MB, Canada (can't believe I spelt my town's name wrong...oops!)

Post by Huntress »

Thanks for clearing that up. I'd like to find another way to store my files but that's not going to work out well... I happen to be a slightly paranoid person and there is no way I'm going to store all my stuff where it could be potentially viewed by others. It runs in the family though, and you have no idea how fun other's paranoia can be. I tried showing Oolite to one of my family members, and they started to freak out as soon as they heard I downloaded it from the Internet. <cackles>
"My goal this weekend is to move... just enough so that people don't think I'm dead." -Anonymous
Sleeper Service
Poor
Poor

Post by Sleeper Service »

Huntress wrote:
Thanks for clearing that up. I'd like to find another way to store my files but that's not going to work out well... I happen to be a slightly paranoid person and there is no way I'm going to store all my stuff where it could be potentially viewed by others. It runs in the family though, and you have no idea how fun other's paranoia can be. I tried showing Oolite to one of my family members, and they started to freak out as soon as they heard I downloaded it from the Internet. <cackles>
Responding to the "onedrive" online suggestion, are you?

It all boils down to trust and reasonable expectations in the end. And https:// won't save you if you can't trust the Certificate Authorities... On the other hand, the good news is that the NSA possibly has a backup of your files.

So manage your expectations and look to your needs. An automated backup of an encrypted archive to an online account, that you have to pay a little for, might be enough. As might be a sufficiently encrypted backup to a local NAS or other computer you have. Horses for courses, I think they say.

/ss.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

KroSha wrote:
You can even have multiple cargo contracts at the same time.
IIRC, the present record for number of contracts taken and successfully delivered on-schedule is about 15.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
fronclynne
Deadly
Deadly

Post by fronclynne »

Huntress wrote:
I happen to be a slightly paranoid person and there is no way I'm going to store all my stuff where it could be potentially viewed by others.
Save files are text, & thus compress very well, & it should be fairly simple to just zip them up (I'd suggest 7zip since it uses 256bit AES, but there are plenty of other archivers that have decent encryption) with a bastard-long password & upload them to some drop-box (or even just email the files to yourself, if they're small enough). Obviously, even with the best encryption someone can still crack the password, though you might have been dead for a few billion years by the time some NSA spook accesses your oolite save games.

Be careful out there.
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

ralph_hh wrote:
Famous last words:

"I'll do that backup tomorrow."
Oh ye, I've been the victim of that too many times.
Unbelievably.. still happens.
Just not so often.

I burn the whole game and my Extra Add ons folder to a cd twice a year.
Save files I put on a usb stick more often, when I think to do it, Usually when change galaxy or ship or aftermath of particularly difficult survived mission or even just a jump that turned out to be more than expected.

I should back up the save after each session, sometimes over 4hrs. But alas, see above quote.

There are millions of free cloud storage servers, why not have one just for your Oolite.
That term 'Cloud' always makes me smile. Tis not in a cloud. Tis on some computer probably housed in some very cheap rent warehouse in the Goolag. Or even some teenagers parents garage or basement.
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
If you do not see "Press Space" more often than you want.. Your not trying!
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

ralph_hh wrote:
"I'll do that backup tomorrow."
Imho the best backup is a Dropbox or similar account with a symlink to the oolite-saves folder due to instant.

Future idea: the core should store the ID list of the installed OXZs into the savegame and warn the player if something is missing when load a game. In this way the used package list is saved as personal favorites for a commander. Later the manager can get a menu which use this list from a selected savegame to download all OXZs into a fresh Oolite installation.