Aliens OXZ

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Re: Aliens OXP

Post by Norby »

Smivs wrote:
many/all the filesizes are wrong/broken.
Are you set the "File size" fields in your oxz admin? I see this problem at your oxzs only.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

By broken/wrong I mean they bare no resemblance to the numbers I inserted! I'll have to put them all right and hope they stay right
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Looking into my ~/.Oolite/GNUstep/Library/Caches/org.aegidian.oolite/Oolite-manifests.plist file I found that you probably do not know that the file sizes must be given in bytes and not in larger units.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Norby wrote:
I found that you probably do not know that the file sizes must be given in bytes and not in larger units.
Since this detail seems to be causing so much confusion lately, I've edited the Guide to make this point very explicit.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Update Release

Aliens v1.2 is now available via the Manager or wiki page. This is just a minor update ready for Oolite v1.81.

Changelog:-
1) Equipment.plist updated to tidy up Scorpax special weapon entry.
2) Scripts now all "Use Strict".
Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Aliens OXZ

Post by Fritz »

All three designs look great, but I only seem to meet the "Scorpax" type. I've had 5 encounters up to today: The 1st was deadly for me (I thought it would be peaceful :roll:), the 2nd time I managed to run away, the 3rd time I found it fighting some NPC ships and watched from a safe distance, the 4th time I found it fighting Thargoids (and me too :cry: ) in witch space, and the 5th time I finally managed to killed it :twisted: - with a little help from some NPC ships. But I never met one of the other two types. And, because it was mentioned in this thread, I never saw it fighting against Cylons.
"You wouldn't kill me just for a few credits, would you?" – "No, I'll do it just for the fun!"
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Ah, the Scorpax. Tough and quick as well - Sport Hunters who will take on (and usually win against) more or less anything. Had you noticed their Photon Torpedoes? They are even effective against Thargoids, the Scorpax' favourite prey.
As for the others, well one tends to cruise around the spacelanes. It is a treasure hunter/scavenger/salvager type who will often be found looking for and scooping cargo pods.
The third type are...well who knows? They seem oblivious to everything including being attacked, just carrying on in a straight line from the witchpoint towards the Sun, only changing course to avoid collisions. They have occasionally been seen sun-skimming then witch-jumping, and apparently in the next system they just fly to the sun there and repeat the process. Completely weird, but I suppose they have some purpose in the Great Scheme of Things.
Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Fritz »

Yes, I noticed the torpedoes! I think I even survived being hit by one. But when I killed the Scorpax, it had probably wasted its torpedoes already on the NPC ships.

I'll keep looking for the ships. I do a lot of sun skimming, so I'm wondering why I never met one. I often get these unidentified ship warnings, and then I should perhaps look for the aliens.
"You wouldn't kill me just for a few credits, would you?" – "No, I'll do it just for the fun!"
Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Fritz »

Smivs wrote:
... Thargoids, the Scorpax' favourite prey.
If this is the intended behavior of the AI, Thargoids should have priority over the player ship! I had a battle against Targoids and a Sorpax - it fired at me and not at the Thargoids, which was more than annoying in this situation!
Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Fritz »

I finally met an Odonatean! It was approaching a sun, and it was so peaceful that I could take pictures including a "selfie".

Sadly I eventually had to turn away because the alien moved way to slow for sun scooping, and my cabin temperature approached dangerous levels. I have a suspicion that he followed me into the next system after I had scooped fuel a little later, but I couldn't verify it because I was involved in a battle immediately after the jump.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

:D . .
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

Look what i saw around Lave, an alienspaceworm!
Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Fritz »

It looks almost edible... :roll:
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

It looks almost edible...
Indeed that's all it does, eat, all 4000 meters of it
Josef
Competent
Competent

Post by Josef »