Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Cobra MkI or MkIII?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

themacman
Competent
Competent

Post by themacman »

I'm going to have to agree with Selezen docking manually is increadiably hard to do if you have several ships shooting at you it's even worse when you have a slow ship

However, I do think that the police need to be a little more active.
B-räd

Mac OS X and Windows on the best machine, http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Circumventing something because it’s hard to do in the middle of a fight is hardly the Oolite Way, though.
Ponder
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Ponder »

That little sig that themacman has isn't quite accurate. It's got the proxy address not mine ;)

Ooh! This post should also make me "Competent" ;)
EAGLE 5
Competent
Competent

Post by EAGLE 5 »

Despite the nasty rumors about the failed design, and the small visual error on the main view the Cobra MkII-X is an awesome ship!
I had it for a very long time and traded it for the MkIII so I could do some trading... Lasers never seem to hit me when I had the II-X but the III on the other hand is a huge target..
Cmdr. EAGLE 5
Hero for Hire
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

I really like the Cobra ii-x one of my characters has at the moment. I found one with military shields and naval energy unit. Yet to be shot down in battle.

Only the small cargo bay and limited energy banks are drawbacks. But as pointed out, it does seem a hard ship to hit. Nicely balanced vessel.

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

I have a DC, but almost never use it...unless I'm doing something alse as well besides OO.
It just takes too long.
Insta-docking should be disabled.

Docking is MUCH easier than on the classic leet. Even with a python I rarely scrape the wall even when approaching at an angle.
With small craft yu can even fuel-inject yourself into the dock!
(Which should result in a hefty fine IMHO)
Riding the Rocket!
Wunderbear
Average
Average

Post by Wunderbear »

Hi.

I find that manually docking is fun, as well as quite satisfying if you do it exactly right. However, i'm quite new to this, and haven't had the chance to dock manually during a firefight. It sounds quite hard.

Anyway, I think that that unless extenuating circumstances force you to (like the 4 FPS guy - gosh, that sounds bad), using a docking computer may be a bit too easy.

Ah, this sums it up: Public Service Announcement
Cmdr Monte
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cmdr Monte »

When I tried using the non insta docking DC, I found it was too dangerous and killed me too many times so I never use it. When I dock manually, I never crash.

If it weren't for insta-docking, I wouldn't bother with the DC at all.

As for high traffic, that's what space traffic control is for.
Rhakka
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Rhakka »

I traded down to a moray star boat near the beginning, you lose a lot of cargo space and no large bays can be added, but hey.. that's the trade off.

I liked it far better than the cobra MkI.. but then, i fight a lot and I'm finding speed to be useful.. Mk1 has poor speed as well.

Is there anything inherent in ships that makes them, or their base shields, tougher than others? Or is it all about recharge time and shield upgrades?
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

Rhakka wrote:
I traded down to a moray star boat near the beginning, you lose a lot of cargo space and no large bays can be added, but hey.. that's the trade off.

I liked it far better than the cobra MkI.. but then, i fight a lot and I'm finding speed to be useful.. Mk1 has poor speed as well.

Is there anything inherent in ships that makes them, or their base shields, tougher than others? Or is it all about recharge time and shield upgrades?
IIx is almost as good as III but significantly cheaper.
Arexack_Heretic
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

energy, shield boosters. Size gives a bonus in ramming things.
Riding the Rocket!
Sabreman
Average
Average

Post by Sabreman »

Yeah, for me the DC is all about saving time. I've done enough manual docking in Elite to last a lifetime (though I still smash into the station every now and then. It seems that practise most certainly doesn't make perfect :lol: ). I'm using a 360 pad to play this, and even with the damping on it's still incredibly sensitive so keeping a straight line while rotating is a challenge. Elite docking is still one of the most tense gaming experiences out there.

It's that first few hours of play you have to get through when starting out as a trader that are painful, simply because of the pace. The very first priority for me is always the DC. After that - at least in Oolite which I was very happy to see - the fuel injector. Anything to speed my arrival at the station.

I agree that if anything else is going on in the local vicinity the DC should be disabled though. You shouldn't be able to use it to instantly escape combat.
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

Sabreman wrote:

I agree that if anything else is going on in the local vicinity the DC should be disabled though. You shouldn't be able to use it to instantly escape combat.
And NPCs should disable DC on being attacked, to avoid being sitting ducks.
Arexack_Heretic

how would that help you?

the alarm already warns you of attack,

turning off the DC could only lead to you crashing into the station if you are away during the docking/attack.
Riding the Rocket!
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

Arexack_Heretic wrote:
how would that help you?

the alarm already warns you of attack,

turning off the DC could only lead to you crashing into the station if you are away during the docking/attack.
We (at least i) mean instant-dock should be "speeded up simulation" of actual docking sequence (just minus visual) and should be interrupted if someone attacks you.. ;-)