Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Swap roll and yaw in options screen

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

al.khwarizmi
Above Average
Above Average

Re: Swap roll and yaw in options screen

Post by al.khwarizmi »

Disembodied wrote:
Yaw is very much an in-atmosphere flight control. In a gravity-free vacuum with no horizon, it's redundant: pitch and roll is all you need. There's no difference between yawing to starboard, and rolling 90° to starboard and pitching up (or rolling 90° to port and pitching down).
Orienting objects on the scanner is easier with yaw. I think it should be added that I don't want this to be forced, or even default, just readily available to people who don't know how to edit hidden configuration files.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

al.khwarizmi wrote:
Orienting objects on the scanner is easier with yaw. I think it should be added that I don't want this to be forced, or even default, just readily available to people who don't know how to edit hidden configuration files.
That's fair enough - I think Cim got it right:
cim wrote:
What we really need is an in-game keyboard config utility to match the in-game joystick config utility.
al.khwarizmi
Above Average
Above Average

Post by al.khwarizmi »

True but the current proposal is a decent stand-in. Making a generic keyboard configuration utility would require a new interface, this just requires another menu item and a teeny bit of backend.

If I knew Objective C and version control as well as the etiquette of working on these sorts of projects, I'd put it in myself but alas all the stuff I do is solo.