offset custom HUDs

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

offset custom HUDs

Post by Murgh »

this could be a Mac-PC conflict (or not), but not until I tried flying a few of these ships did I realize the HUDs are off-placed. after looking around, my experience is that this goes for all Wolfwood's custom HUD ships, and Selezen's Cobra.

it makes no difference if windowed or full-screen. so, is it just my Mac or all Macs that place the HUD image differently than PCs?

The man next to you is your lunch
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

I noticed the same thing. I wonder what's causing it?

For one thing the texture doesn't have a 'power-of-two' height, but correcting that doesn't seem to change the positioning...

<technical>
It's possibly a problem with OpenGLSprite.m - which used to be used to draw other HUD elements, with varying degrees of success.

I probably need to give it a good going over to bring its handling of textures in line with the more recent scaling code in TextureStore.m
</technical>
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Murgh »

it seems confirmed then. the inverse happens when a Mac HUD is displayed on a PC, it lands too high.. :(
The man next to you is your lunch
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Yup, someone reported this bug in one of the first ships that I made the HUD for, but I never tracked down the problem. It would be nice if it could be corrected in some manner other than the people having to edit the positioning in the files by hand... :?
Author of Tales from the Frontier - official Elite 4 anthology.
Author of Marcan Rayger adventures - unofficial fan-fic novellas set in the Frontier universe.
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

Right.

I've just committed new code that will hopefully make the drawing of HUD legends OS agnostic. Unfortunately I think this will mean that PC users will now suffer the same misaligned HUDs as Mac users rather than Mac users suddenly gaining properly aligned HUDs.

Since the problem seems to have been caused by a problem in the SDL/PC side that users were correcting for, I think I've made the right decision though.

Time will tell.

Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Umm... Does this mean that I should simply correct the image offsets in my OXPs and reupload them and they should work properly for everyone then? Or does this mean that my adjustments for Win environment will still appear different on a Mac?
Author of Tales from the Frontier - official Elite 4 anthology.
Author of Marcan Rayger adventures - unofficial fan-fic novellas set in the Frontier universe.
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

Wait until a beta including the new code is released. If there's a problem then adjust the image positioning accordingly and put out a new version. The new Mac and PC versions of Oolite should show the image in exactly the same place.

I'm not going to criticise anyone's PMC entries for this - it's a bug in Oolite not their entries.

TedJ
Deadly
Deadly

Post by TedJ »

Perhaps it an issue with screen aspect ratios.

If the HUD element is placed assuming a 4:3 display and it ends up being displayed on a 5:4 display, would this cause an alignment issue?

The only custom HUD enabled ship I have installed at the moment is the NjX (nice!) and the HUD appears properly on my machine, which is running at 1280x1024 (5:4)... Although the other custom HUD ships I've tried (the Drakes and the Cobra Courier) suffered this problem.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

This is not related to aspect-ratio issues.
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Warning: above link is a Windows-virus