Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

(NEW RELEASE) NumericHUDv3.oxp

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Re: (NEW RELEASE) NumericHUDv3.oxp

Post by Norby »

V12 wrote:
SlowHardware=TRUE :
1 refresh = 20 fps
4 refreshes = 15 fps
12 refreshes = 10 fps

Default HUD with V-sync off = >200 fps.
Ok, now I am sure that your problem is CPU related, assuming you have correct videocard drivers and no software rendering which can overload any CPU. My i3 3.3GHz with internal HD4000 graphics show 22FPS with NumericHUD when a new Jameson launched regardless of HUD refresh, either 1 or 12 refreshes my FPS is the same.

Unfortunately the original concept of NumericHUD use more than one hundred equipments to control all parts of numbers which need decent CPU power. A real fix of this need a full rewrite on different base concept, for example what you can see in [EliteWiki] Original HUD in HUDSelector if CombatMFD OXP is installed and you use Oolite 1.81 where we got a new tool to display numbers much more effectively.

Odd if you have more FPS with your old videocard and the same CPU, maybe the new driver need more CPU by default, or something is not well configured yet.
V12
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by V12 »

OK, I will make one more test tomorow - I will install OOLITE on Windows. Now, I'm flying on Ubuntu 14.04. I don't belive CPU related problems - ship Event Horizon has aprox. 55k polygons and fps doesn't drop below 60 with V-sync ON. If game will run smoothly on Win, then Nvidia's Linux driver has some trouble with standard 2D objects. Not all drivers are bug-free :(
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Many moons ago I've talked with CSOTB about this problem. The script doesn't need to be that slow, even without touching the logic. I don't know what has changed in the meantime, but if I do remember correctly the simple points were:

- Get rid of the string building wherever possible. Many strings are build twice.
- Change string properties and their checks to booleans or integers if it's not necessary to keep them as strings.
- Move repeated tasks in subfunctions. It makes the code a lot cleaner and easier to handle.
- Avoid looping about non-existing equipment and restrict the loops to the length they really need.

There was also a function which has updated all properties and EQs in a row. I've suggested to split it in two or more pieces.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

V12 wrote:
... then Nvidia's Linux driver has some trouble with standard 2D objects.
Just a quick note here: the HUD is a 3D object, or rather a set of 3D objects, so this is unlikely to be the cause.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Norby »

V12 wrote:
If game will run smoothly on Win, then Nvidia's Linux driver has some trouble
I guess there is a significant difference between default and NumericHUD under win also. In Linux I recommend the driver from nvidia.com instead of the built-in one.
Svengali wrote:
The script doesn't need to be that slow
Thanks for the ideas. The main problem is if the update script is not run at all then FPS still stay at the same low values, but if I comment out the dials of numbers from plist then show 40 FPS at me regardless of 0 or 12 refreshes so I think the main reason is the too many equipment controlled objects on the HUD.
V12
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by V12 »

Nuoveau is piece of sh*t, I'm using original Nvidia driver. I made simple test on Linux - 3 Event Horizon ships on the screen simultaneously and fps with any HUD except Numeric don't drop below 60. GTX750 is fast enough for any situation in the OOLITE. I'm very curious, how will perform NumericHUD on Windows. Now, I'm working in my office...
V12
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by V12 »

Mno, I tested OOlite on Windows 7 32bit and NumericHUD runs smooth and lightspeed fast. There is driver related problem on the original Nvidia Linux driver :evil:
richard.a.p.smith
Deadly
Deadly

Post by richard.a.p.smith »

On a slightly different note to the driver stuff, I have a few comments and suggestions.

1. This HUD is very good, thumbs up.
2. It does not get on with the AI trading assistant, it often loses MFD items on launching from a station if that is present (away went the problem when removed the AI assistant I did).
3. The graduations in the scanner are quite dense and get in the way a little bit (but the logarithmic zoom is nicely done and useful).
4. Can the little dot in the middle of the cross-hairs come back? I try to kill at a distance and that dot is a big help even compared with having auto-crosshairs installed.
5. The laser heat thing under the cross-hairs is useful but blocks long-distance targets that happen to be behind it, compounding 3, off-set this a little bit to the side, maybe, as most motion is up/down so its presence makes fine adjustment at long range difficult.
6. The "useful mfg"; I tried but all that seemed to do was add in details about how many kills, if I'm clean, etc, which isn't a lot of help - and these appeared in two of the "windows" which didn't look right so I got rid of the oxp as it didn't do a lot. Thought it worth mentioning in case there's a bug and in case I'm missing what that mfg is supposed to do.
7. I have used MilHUD and there are a couple of features of that that might be worth including (colour changing in particular made it obvious when targetting had occurred or something was out of range).
8. I think there was something else but it's ten to one in the morning.

Using latest versions of stuff I've mentioned as of yesterday's date. Thanks very much for all this stuff, chaps!

Rich
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

richard.a.p.smith wrote:
2. It does not get on with the AI trading assistant, it often loses MFD items on launching from a station if that is present (away went the problem when removed the AI assistant I did).
I doubt this is specific to either Numeric HUD or AI Trading Assistant. Try it with my Docked HUDs OXP or any other that switches the HUD while docked, e.g. Market Observer.
You are using HUD Selector if you expect MFDs to appear automatically when launching?
richard.a.p.smith
Deadly
Deadly

Hello Wildeblood. No HUD selector, no. As you noted I haven't played the game for a bit so several things are newish and perhaps I missed some instruction or other for correct use. I have that HUD and a few MFDs installed but no selector. They appeared first time I tried using them so I assumed they'd appear all the time. They did seem to appear all the time, last night at least, after I removed the trading assistant. Seemed to me, maybe, that the trading assistant was leaving its mark on the HUD in some manner after launching, not that I really have a clue!
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

richard.a.p.smith wrote:
They appeared first time I tried using them so I assumed they'd appear all the time. They did seem to appear all the time, last night at least, after I removed the trading assistant. Seemed to me, maybe, that the trading assistant was leaving its mark on the HUD in some manner after launching
It could well be, you're right, but if it is it will be a general problem whenever switching to a HUD with no or fewer MFDs defined than you are using (the HUD files in Trading Assistant have no MFDs).

I was under the impression the MFDs always switched off when you docked, and had to be reset after launching, but perhaps the memory is playing tricks on me.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Wildeblood wrote:
I was under the impression the MFDs always switched off when you docked, and had to be reset after launching, but perhaps the memory is playing tricks on me.
Correct. In Oolite 1.80 MFDs are switched off on docking and need to be activated again on launch. In 1.81 they get restored when you launch. With Oolite 1.80 HudSelector offers a solution. False memory.
Last edited by spara on Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Norby »

Hi Richard!

In Oolite 1.80 you must install HUD Selector OXP and set your favorite MFDs in the "HUD and MFD Selector" menu in Interfaces. Your settings will work without the HUD selector equipment until the OXP is installed.

The scanner graduation is not an independent setting, determined by the size which requested to be large in this HUD.

The dot in the middle of the cross-hairs what you can see in the screenshot of the old NumericHUDv3 was never been in this OXP, maybe another make it but I do not know which one.

I would keep the laser heat centered but you can change the x parameter in your numerichudv3.plist file near the 6500. line.

The Useful MFD is another OXP, there is a solution of the unwanted apperance in the dedicated topic.
richard.a.p.smith
Deadly
Deadly

Hi. Thanks for responding. I'm confused, though. I don't have a problem installing the selector but don't get what you're saying about reactivating after launch.

I have Oolite 1.80, Numeric HUD 3.27, Combat MFD 1.10, CommsLogMFD 1.4.0, Manifest MFD 1.1.1, Navigation MFD 1.3.3. I do not have a HUD selector installed.
spara wrote:
In Oolite 1.80 MFDs are switched off on docking and need to be activated again on launch. In 1.81 they get restored when you launch. With Oolite 1.80 HudSelector offers a solution.
The MFDs appear without me having to do anything but from what you have put there that is not expected, right?
Norby wrote:
The scanner graduation is not an independent setting, determined by the size which requested to be large in this HUD.
So Oolite puts all those there, yes? Oh, well, it's just that there are a lot so the lollipops in that size of scanner get a little swamped so if something's dead ahead or behind or up or down it all looks the same, hard to see whether to pitch up or down. If there was a gap right in the middle of the lines going across that might help.
Norby wrote:
The dot in the middle of the cross-hairs . . .
It's in MilHUD and maybe the default HUD (not sure as I was playing with MilHUD for a while so can't quite recall), I was just commenting that I find it useful so maybe worth including. I haven't used Numieric HUD before so was basing the comment on comparison with these two.
Norby wrote:
I would keep the laser heat centered but you can change the x parameter in your numerichudv3.plist file near the 6500. line.
I might have a look at that but if it were slightly off to the side then I think it might be better, or if it's narrower or something. I just feel that - like the scanner lollipop/too-dense-graduations thing - there is so much pitching up and down in the game then anything that hides stuff in that plane is detrimental. Not a huge problem but I have noticed it.
Norby wrote:
The Useful MFD is another OXP, there is a solution of the unwanted apperance in the dedicated topic.
Thanks, I'll have a look at that.

Back to it now, what Sundays are for . . . thanks again.

Rich
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

richard.a.p.smith wrote:
spara wrote:
In Oolite 1.80 MFDs are switched off on docking and need to be activated again on launch. In 1.81 they get restored when you launch. With Oolite 1.80 HudSelector offers a solution.
The MFDs appear without me having to do anything but from what you have put there that is not expected, right?
Yes. In core 1.80 game MFDs are turned off when you dock/launch. If they appear, then something is turning them on. HUDSelector does that, but if you don't have it installed it's something else. Is it some specific MFD you get? False memory.
Last edited by spara on Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.