Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[RELEASE] MilHUD 4000

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

madsborking
Above Average
Above Average

Re: [RELEASE] MilHUD 4000

Post by madsborking »

Hello boys

I am confused about the use of MilHUD. I have it installed for some time now - and love the look - but the "Adjust MilHUD 4000 Contrast" option just isn't working!? I have tried dishing out cash for an overhaul at a high tech system, then immidiatly launching and switching my ASC to "sun mode", (which I take to mean navigate by the sun's position?), then pressing and holding SHIFT + n (N)... Nothing happens :? Not even after 30 seconds or more!?

Another confusing thing, which might serve as a clue to someone wiser in the oolite ways than I, is that my MilHUD does not, and have never, announced any beacons!? (Not via text or, as I understand from the Talkative Space Compass OXP page might be the case, through speach?)

Help, anyone :wink:
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

I don't think MilHUD 4000 has ever announced the beacons in any way.

As for the contrast option, the HUD hasn't been updated in ages and maybe some changes in newer Oolite broke it.
madsborking
Above Average
Above Average

Post by madsborking »

Okay, thanks

That clears it up I guess. :wink:
Wolfsstar BH
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Wolfsstar BH »

Just a request could you make the MilHUD 4000 compatible with the HUDSelector oxp and MFDs ????
and maybe add it to Manage Expansion Packs in OXZ format ???
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Well here's a blast from the past!
madsborking wrote:
I am confused about the use of MilHUD. I have it installed for some time now - and love the look - but the "Adjust MilHUD 4000 Contrast" option just isn't working!? I have tried dishing out cash for an overhaul at a high tech system, then immidiatly launching and switching my ASC to "sun mode", (which I take to mean navigate by the sun's position?), then pressing and holding SHIFT + n (N)... Nothing happens :? Not even after 30 seconds or more!?

Another confusing thing, which might serve as a clue to someone wiser in the oolite ways than I, is that my MilHUD does not, and have never, announced any beacons!? (Not via text or, as I understand from the Talkative Space Compass OXP page might be the case, through speach?)
I completely missed that post; I had no internetz for 14 months you know. But if madsborking couldn't find the contrast adjuster, and wasn't seeing any beacon announcements either, I'm guessing he had actually downloaded MilHUD 4.0, not MilHUD 4000...!? I can think of no other explanation.
Wolfsstar BH wrote:
Just a request could you make the MilHUD 4000 compatible with the HUDSelector oxp and MFDs ????
and maybe add it to Manage Expansion Packs in OXZ format ???
To be honest... enthusiasm: zero. It needs - as does MilHUD - more than just that to update it for 1.80. In a hypothetical world where Cmdr Wyvern updated MilHUD 4.0 to the new ways of doing things in Oolite 1.80, and I did the same for my 4000 fork, the differences between the two results would be minuscule. There's no longer a place for two versions (at least until someone starts adding new features for Oolite 1.81).

OTOH, they are both available as starting points for anyone else who wants to make MilHUD NEXT or whatever.
Wolfsstar BH
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Wolfsstar BH »

Hi Wildeblood

On the subject of the MilHUD 4000 I am thinking of doing my own version of it.
After looking at it I still like the layout of the screen but decided that the code needed to be started from scratch!
As I am a complete novice to java script, I am learning it as I go along, so some bit's of the scripting may not be as expected?
The name that I think that I will go with is "MilHUD Refit" unless you or someone else objects!

Any advice will be welcome.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Most of the script is unnecessary now. Depending on what features you want to keep, and which you don't like, it could be made with no javascript at all. Start with just one of the HUD files from M4000 (there are five and the only difference is the brightness of the central contrast patch). Copy & paste the MFDs from the standard Oolite HUD.

For the dials that are duplicated in different colours, remove the EQ_MILHUD_* requirements. If you don't like colour changing, remove the duplicate definitions and just leave one. If you do want colour-changing, add the alert_conditons parameters.

Add the new dials that didn't exist in Oolite 1.76 to the HUD file:-
1.79 also adds: drawWaypoints:, drawPrimedEquipment:, drawASCTarget:, drawWitchspaceDestination:
Deciding where to position these is the point where I've got stuck and lost interest each time I've started to update M4000. When you've got a HUD that looks good with these new features, only then do you need to think about adding javascript if there is some feature you want that isn't among the standard dials.

P.S. If the central bright patch is a feature you like, do try it with my Shield-tastic Cross-hairs OXZ, which frame that area quite nicely.
Last edited by Wildeblood on Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

And the Dark Side claims another victim! :lol: 8)

Good for you, Wolfsstar BH!
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Wolfsstar BH
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Wolfsstar BH »

Hi Wildeblood

Thank you for your advice.

I like the layout of the M4000 HUD and shall be keeping it as it is with a couple of additions and a couple of updates.
The main addition is a Mass lock indicator (I always thought it was needed.) and three contrast patch sizes.
Multi-function displays added
The update dials will be just to take advantage of Oolite 1.80
Otherwise cosmetically it will stay the same, the main changes will take place under the hood!
Removed sniper sight.(no longer needed.)
Thinking that the main scanner will have five alert conditions depending on equipment purchased.

Possibly a bit ambitious but why not shoot for the stars!

Tried the Shield-tastic Cross-hairs, I prefer the Laser-ific Crosshairs I shall try as many as I can find to check for compatibility.

I suppose that I should start my own topic instead of hijacking yours :oops: I am new to even think about writing an OXP.

Again Thank you for your advice.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Wolfsstar BH wrote:
The main addition is a Mass lock indicator (I always thought it was needed.)
What do you mean by this, Wolfsstar? (And what does the BH stand for?)
Wolfsstar BH
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Wolfsstar BH »

In the game I like to use a moon or other body to hide behind just outside of mass lock range, a quick jump and I am causing trouble. :twisted:
That is why I want a mass lock indicator / lamp I takes the guessing out of when to jump.
It is also needed for the modifications that I have made to the HUD, as a green scanner may not mean all clear.

Don't tell anybody the BH stands for Bounty Hunter.

No I better tell the truth, I got fed-up with "user name" already in use so the BH is the first two letters of my postcode.
I was wondering how long it would take for somebody to notice! (you are the first!).

By the way I have my own page: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17258
Have a look!